Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 06:25 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times

Advertisements

Thought this article was pretty interesting and has some nice photos.
I've been to Vallejo a couple of times and have stayed there before.

I remember thinking that the property seemed undervalued considering it being so close to Napa Valley.

It makes sense that more people would be looking to move there as the Bay Area has gotten increasingly expensive.
---

Vallejo is the hottest real estate market in America - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 02:52 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Not all that surprising to me. I moved to Vallejo about nine months ago for pretty much the same reasons everyone else is moving to Vallejo. It's affordable and has easy access to San Francisco.

Eventually the prices will equalize out with Vallejo's downsides, and there are a lot of downsides. Unemployment rate is 50% higher than California as a whole and 300% higher than in other booming markets like Dublin or Livermore which also happen to be twice as expensive. There's no real local economy outside of Kaiser and to a lesser degree Sutter. Schools are abysmal, crime is high, police department has a terrible relationship with the community. It's not all bad. The downtown is quaint in that small town seen much better days kind of way, but mostly it's cheap and I'm either a 12 minute walk or 4 minute drive from the ferry which is $20.80 round-trip. That's a bit expensive but Dublin to SF via BART is $12.30 and doesn't take much less time. $7.50 well spent even if I couldn't work on the ferry and did nothing more productive than sit and relax and goof of on my phone or read a book.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:13 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Thought this article was pretty interesting and has some nice photos.
I've been to Vallejo a couple of times and have stayed there before.

I remember thinking that the property seemed undervalued considering it being so close to Napa Valley.

It makes sense that more people would be looking to move there as the Bay Area has gotten increasingly expensive.
---

Vallejo is the hottest real estate market in America - Business Insider
Amazing, considering their middle school is a 1 on greatschools. Bay area is so hot that the normal correlation between safe, good schools and RE value has been broken.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:20 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Amazing, considering their middle school is a 1 on greatschools. Bay area is so hot that the normal correlation between safe, good schools and RE value has been broken.
It's like this in Los Angeles too , a nice/expensive neighborhood doesn't mean the schools will be good .

It seems pretty much everyone in the expensive areas sends their kids to private schools .

Old 08-04-2017, 02:35 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,649 times
If you mentioned Vallejo to anyone outside of the Bay Area/California, nobody would know anything about it.

It's not on anyone's "list" unless you're a techie or specific field of work that requires moving to SF and want a more affordable place to live. It has a ton of crime, terrible schools, and is cheaper for a reason.

A dude just got shot by police for running down the street at them with a machete, nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California