Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 02:09 PM

94 posts, read 130,230 times

Advertisements

Considering moving from Socal to Norcal. I lived in Los Angeles and Long beach until 6th grade. And then moved to Orange County where I have stayed until now, my 30s. I love certain things about California, the beaches, the sunsets, the hiking and camping, and the mild winters. And I hate certain things, traffic, smog, no parking, cost of living, overpriced rent, earthquakes. But I need to know what major differences I would be facing moving to Norcal, being that I have visited but never lived there.

I love San Fran, mostly because that weather is perfect for me. I dont mind rain very much. I prefer cool/cold to hot. I dont like anything above 75 degrees... one major reason to leave socal!! I have visited and its very beautiful. Low unemployment rate. But my worries with living there would be its so overly expensive, traffic, no parking, maybe a lot of homeless and crime because its a major city. I think a San Fran suburb or even close by rural area would be a better fit.

I read about petaluma which is supposed to be a suburban family area that has low unemployment rates. Pictures looked beautiful. Probably has better traffic and parking and less homeless and crime. Downsides are it still cost a fortune to live there and it gets warm, in the 80s at least since its inland.

Im also considering places like Fort Bragg and Cresant City. I love the beach so thats a plus. Its way more affordable compared to san fran or petaluma which is a huge plus. I would think parking and traffic would be good because these are not huge cities. But the cons would be, usually higher crime and sometimes homeless population comes with more affordable housing options. And lack of jobs, higher unemployment.

I have 15+ years in management experience, both office and retail. Ive worked in publishing and mortgage and sales. I have a decent resume. Usually getting a new job is not diffucult. Unless Im in an area that has zero jobs. I do have tattoos but socal is very open minded to them and its never cost me a good job here. In my free time I go to the beach, hike, camp, concerts, sporting events. Im vegetarian. Volunteer at the animal shelter. Newly single after a 7 year marriage. Looking for a fresh start. Any norcal advice you can offer would be great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 02:32 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellysocal View Post
Considering moving from Socal to Norcal. I lived in Los Angeles and Long beach until 6th grade. And then moved to Orange County where I have stayed until now, my 30s. I love certain things about California, the beaches, the sunsets, the hiking and camping, and the mild winters. And I hate certain things, traffic, smog, no parking, cost of living, overpriced rent, earthquakes. But I need to know what major differences I would be facing moving to Norcal, being that I have visited but never lived there.

I love San Fran, mostly because that weather is perfect for me. I dont mind rain very much. I prefer cool/cold to hot. I dont like anything above 75 degrees... one major reason to leave socal!! I have visited and its very beautiful. Low unemployment rate. But my worries with living there would be its so overly expensive, traffic, no parking, maybe a lot of homeless and crime because its a major city. I think a San Fran suburb or even close by rural area would be a better fit.

I read about petaluma which is supposed to be a suburban family area that has low unemployment rates. Pictures looked beautiful. Probably has better traffic and parking and less homeless and crime. Downsides are it still cost a fortune to live there and it gets warm, in the 80s at least since its inland.

Im also considering places like Fort Bragg and Cresant City. I love the beach so thats a plus. Its way more affordable compared to san fran or petaluma which is a huge plus. I would think parking and traffic would be good because these are not huge cities. But the cons would be, usually higher crime and sometimes homeless population comes with more affordable housing options. And lack of jobs, higher unemployment.

I have 15+ years in management experience, both office and retail. Ive worked in publishing and mortgage and sales. I have a decent resume. Usually getting a new job is not diffucult. Unless Im in an area that has zero jobs. I do have tattoos but socal is very open minded to them and its never cost me a good job here. In my free time I go to the beach, hike, camp, concerts, sporting events. Im vegetarian. Volunteer at the animal shelter. Newly single after a 7 year marriage. Looking for a fresh start. Any norcal advice you can offer would be great!!!
Fort Bragg and Crescent City are great examples of places with no jobs, unless you're home based of course.

Traffic is awful, all the time, plain and simple.

Petaluma is a great little town. A lot to do for the size, and a lot of good restaraunts, bars, and breweries. It's also a plus being relatively close to Point Reyes (a really awesome ocean/beach spot).

If you like the beach, cooler weather, hiking, etc...You could look into Daly City and Pacifica. They're both decently close to SF, but are definitely more affordable.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:01 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
I think the number one question - what's your budget? What can you afford? What is going to be your projected income/jobs that will pay enough to live in a place you like? You probably should start finding/seeking jobs in an area you'd like and see how that plays.

Because that is going to play and determine a lot where it's going to be possible for you to relocate.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:18 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,347 times
If you're considering the North Coast read this: //www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ead-first.html

I would say you're probably better off looking near Santa Rosa though. It does get warmer than 75 in summer but overall it's a pleasant climate down there.

Do you have your heart set on NorCal? It's a pretty different place compared to SoCal in terms of culture and values (seems less superficial to me). You could also consider the Portland, OR area; my cousin moved up there a few years ago and really likes it.

Your climate preferences will keep you confined to a pretty narrow strip of the CA coast unless you're willing to move out of the state.

Good luck

Old 08-04-2017, 04:53 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,908 times
The Bay Area (if you consider it norcal) has way more expensive housing than SoCal. Salaries do tend to be a little higher in technical fields but its often a wash. Also traffic is horrible and the ocean is brutally cold. The surfing in Santa Cruz is imo better than Southern CA overall however.

Up in mendocino north where things start getting cheaper theres no jobs. So hopefully you have a large inheritance and can pay cash for a place. Sacramento isnt bad but is a bit bland. Also job options are somewhat limited but I know a lot of people that like that area and its close to skiing.

NorCal is overall a bit geekier and less fake and starstruck than southern CA. Theres also less plastic surgery. But the populated urban areas arent insanely different from southern CA. Northern CA also is a bit greener but fog is a major problem along the coast.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:54 PM

234 posts, read 303,618 times
Northern California is the most beautiful place in the world, especially that northern coast. My opinion, I was born and raised there after all. ; )

As others have said, once you leave the North Bay/Santa Rosa area, jobs get very difficult to find. Services also get harder to find. You'll find a cooler climate with varying housing prices near Eureka/Arcata/Humbolt, but like you said, those more rural areas tend to have crime and drug problems. That is also the last significant population until Oregon.

If you can afford it, try Petaluma, Novato, San Rafael, they are wonderful.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:58 PM

234 posts, read 303,618 times
Oh, also, you won't find any traffic north of Santa Rosa. If you commute from Santa Rosa/Petaluma etc..into SF or Oakland it's going to blow though. You may want to consider living near wherever you work, bay area traffic isn't as bad as LA, but, it's still bad.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:31 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
I never had trouble finding a job in Fort Bragg when I lived there. I wanted to live there and decided to do what it took to make.it happen. It worked. Coming from SoCal the experience of living in Mendocino Co will be wonderful! Spent 25 years in that area. Honestly, people who don't know what it's like to live there shouldn't offer up opinions

Old 08-05-2017, 04:55 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,130,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
Northern California is the most beautiful place in the world, especially that northern coast. My opinion, I was born and raised there after all. ; )

As others have said, once you leave the North Bay/Santa Rosa area, jobs get very difficult to find. Services also get harder to find. You'll find a cooler climate with varying housing prices near Eureka/Arcata/Humbolt, but like you said, those more rural areas tend to have crime and drug problems. That is also the last significant population until Oregon.

If you can afford it, try Petaluma, Novato, San Rafael, they are wonderful.
I wasn't exactly paying attention, but which rural areas? Ukiah? Mendocino?

Old 08-05-2017, 06:10 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,259 times
Oregon, OP. You won't find what you're looking for in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California