Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:30 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Let me share one additional minor detail; see if you think I should be creeped out by the event. The truck actually pulled over about 600 yards before my neighborhood's entrance; I could see it in my rear view mirror. So the cars behind then passed the truck and were following me. I thought to myself "OK, it's gone". Not that I have anything to hide, just that it's an awkward situation to have an official vehicle behind you -- you don't want to go over the speed limit one bit, but you drive below the speed limit some get irritated; you end up having to watch the speedometer all the time which is a pain.

So then I drove the final 600 yards with other private vehicles following me; then I turned into my neighborhood and my driveway which is about 100' from the community gate. As I parked and unloaded stuff from my car and begin to go inside the house, I saw that truck standing outside the gate! I went inside and looked out the window and it was still there for another minute.

What puzzles me is, does Cal Fire have any business following a private citizen, other than if they suspect arson?

I had thought of approaching the person to see what's going on, but decided against that for fear that it could be taken as confrontational. Would that have been proper?
The only reason Cal Fire could legally arrest someone is in relation to a wild fire investigation. They are not the police or CHP.

Forgive me, but I think you're being a bit paranoid. I don't see anything in your additional information that makes me think the Cal Fire truck was specifically following YOU in order to make an arrest or trying to harass you. If they were tailing an arson suspect, don't you think they'd have been a little less obvious?

If I was concerned about someone pausing in an official vehicle at the end of my driveway, I would stroll over, say hello, and ask if there was something they needed. Nothing confrontational about that, UNLESS you make it so.

Official vehicles ride on public roads all the time. If you're going to break into a cold sweat every time one is on the road at the same time as you, you'll never leave the house.

And calling Cal Fire to report this will only make them laugh. There was no threat to you. Making a fuss about a truck being on the same road and pausing for a moment at your driveway might just get your name put on a "watch out for this crazy paranoid guy" list at Cal Fire.

Just let this go.

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-10-2017 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
One additional thought -- it's HIGHLY unlikely, but Cal Fire is being extra cautious about vehicle fires these days, since several wildfires have been started by car fires recently. See:

CAL FIRE SLO seeing increase in car fires - KSBY.com | San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Area News

So, while it is HIGHLY unlikely, the Cal Fire driver *may* have thought he spotted dripping oil or transmission fluid leaking from your car or sparks from your undercarriage, and been following you to ascertain whether that was true.

Of course, if that WAS the case, the Cal Fire guy would have called you over while you were unpacking your groceries to tell you about it, so I really doubt this was the case. Still, it wouldn't hurt to double check your car for leaks and noticeable exhaust issues.

But, other than that, I wouldn't lose any sleep about a Cal Fire truck being on the same road as you or turning around in your driveway/gate area.

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-10-2017 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 10:48 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
"Paranoia the Destroyer".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California