Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:12 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Some people, who are insecure about CA, cannot acknowledge that FL is a nice place to live so they must bash every extreme, like getting shot. I guess no one gets shot in CA.

And yes year round exercise is a definite in FL especially if you live near a beach.
Exactly, where I live, I keep my lawn mower and bikes in my driveway. Try doing that in most parts of California. If a bike to a restaurant from my house, half the time I don't even lock it up. In the Bay Area they will steal your tire or seat if it's not locked down. In Florida, if you can afford a $300k home, you can live in a very safe area. Try doing that in San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:14 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Exactly, where I live, I keep my lawn mower and bikes in my driveway. Try doing that in most parts of California. If a bike to a restaurant from my house, half the time I don't even lock it up. In the Bay Area they will steal your tire or seat if it's not locked down. In Florida, if you can afford a $300k home, you can live in a very safe area. Try doing that in San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles.
In arcata you can buy a 300k house and never have to worry about hurricanes

Old 08-28-2017, 08:15 PM

461 posts, read 554,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
That's nice. Last year I lost 5 pounds due to getting the Flu. So your point is???

If you weren't doing outside stuff in SF whose fault was that?

I'm impressed, no homeless people in FL

And yea, you can shoot anyone in FL

Still not worth it to live in crap climate and a boring landscape. Even with an amusement park nearby,
LOL he has to come to St Petersburg then if he didn't see homeless where he was. The west coast of FL operates much like the west coast does I Hate to say. Its aloof, flaky.. all that good stuff. L.A people will feel right at home here. Its all status, about the car you drive and if you don't have a new car here, you're seen as an automatic underclass person. Its cheaper sure, but not better.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
In arcata you can buy a 300k house and never have to worry about hurricanes
And live in the middle of nowhere? Arcata, where majority of the residents are on welfare because there is no jobs? No thanks lol.

Most people don't care about hurricanes here, actually, many hope for one when there is a storm forming because it means a day off work or school. It's not scary for most people unless you live in a trailer park. An earthquake is much more scary to me because there is no warning, but even then, I didn't care about earthquakes when I lived in California. I've moved a lot in my life, so trivial worries like that are way past me as I've lived in all sorts of climates.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
And live in the middle of nowhere? Arcata, where majority of the residents are on welfare because there is no jobs? No thanks lol.

Most people don't care about hurricanes here, actually, many hope for one when there is a storm forming because it means a day off work or school. It's not scary for most people unless you live in a trailer park. An earthquake is much more scary to me because there is no warning, but even then, I didn't care about earthquakes when I lived in California. I've moved a lot in my life, so trivial worries like that are way past me as I've lived in all sorts of climates.
Arcata has a 5% Unemployment rate and a very solid university. That's not much different from much of Florida.

Weather isn't trivial. It's the one thing you can't change about a place (anyone can build a gaudy McMansion like they do in Florida).

Old 08-28-2017, 08:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Not really... median household income in Orlando is $51k, median household income in SF is around $77k... now compare home prices
I know people who moved from Fkorida to Califirnia. Their income was 40/50% of doing the same job here. Even in your example you're looking at about 33% difference.
Either way I dint much care. You ve been to a Florida. I have no interest in living there. I dont mind visiting but not live there

Old 08-28-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Arcata has a 5% Unemployment rate and a very solid university. That's not much different from much of Florida.

Weather isn't trivial. It's the one thing you can't change about a place (anyone can build a gaudy McMansion like they do in Florida).
1) 41.5% of Arcata live below the poverty line, it is the definition of a welfare city

2) Weather comes to personal taste, I like hot summers and warm winters.

3) Natural disasters only scare the ignorant... ignorant Floridians say OMG HOW COULD YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA WITH THEIR EARTHQUAKES! ignorant Californians say OMG HOW COULD YOU LIVE IN FLORIDA WITH THEIR HURRICANES! Both are idiots and need to travel more, you shouldn't try to be one of them.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
1) 41.5% of Arcata live below the poverty line, it is the definition of a welfare city

2) Weather comes to personal taste, I like hot summers and warm winters.

3) Natural disasters only scare the ignorant... ignorant Floridians say OMG HOW COULD YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA WITH THEIR EARTHQUAKES! ignorant Californians say OMG HOW COULD YOU LIVE IN FLORIDA WITH THEIR HURRICANES! Both are idiots and need to travel more, you shouldn't try to be one of them.
Show me a link to that statistic.

I like weather I can walk outside in all day so I could never live in Florida (need it for work).

3. Hurricanes are far more frequent that earthquakes and can destroy houses far easier (most ranch homes take earthquakes no issue but most houses would go bye bye from hurricanes.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I know people who moved from Fkorida to Califirnia. Their income was 40/50% of doing the same job here. Even in your example you're looking at about 33% difference.
Either way I dint much care. You ve been to a Florida. I have no interest in living there. I dont mind visiting but not live there
It's fine if you wouldnt want to live here, I wasn't implying that. I simply said the difference in income is nowhere near the same when it comes to home ownership. My friends in their 20s are buying homes in Orlando. My friends in San Francisco have 3 room mates, even though they make $60-100k.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Show me a link to that statistic.

I like weather I can walk outside in all day so I could never live in Florida (need it for work).

3. Hurricanes are far more frequent that earthquakes and can destroy houses far easier (most ranch homes take earthquakes no issue but most houses would go bye bye from hurricanes.
1) I also like walking around outside, but I like to do it in shorts and a t-shirt, which is why I personally like hot weather. If I didn't live here, I'd prefer an area with hot/warm weather like Oahu.

3) Hurricanes are jsut an excuse to party and skip work/school for most people. It's been a long time since a hurricane hit Florida, but when they did come, it's not scary at all, UNLESS you live in a trailer park. You also know way in advance when one is coming, so if you want you can always leave, but yeah, it's just fun to invite friends to sleep over and then wake up the next day and it's over. If you lived in a city like New Orleans, then yeah I can see it being scary because it's below sea level or whatever.

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2020 at 01:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California