Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 06:32 PM

661 posts, read 691,293 times

Advertisements

Folks are pretty live and let live in California. Sure, you're gonna get iced out of many social circles here if you're telling people they live a sinful lifestyle or can't identify how they choose. But it's not like they're forcing you to evolve your regressive views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 06:38 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Folks are pretty live and let live in California. Sure, you're gonna get iced out of many social circles here if you're telling people they live a sinful lifestyle or can't identify how they choose. But it's not like they're forcing you to evolve your regressive views.
Of course. SoCal, especially LA, is experiencing a big Christian revival of sorts I've noticed. I've noticed more real deal Christians here than even in Houston which is going through a hipster phase right now LOL.

I was saying that you have to have regressive, easily triggered values that are paper thin to think developed parts of the country are Taliban-like. At least to describe it as such where women and minorities are being oppressed.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:42 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
I could buy 2 houses there but then I'd own in a ****ty place. Rather live in Santa Maria or arcata.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I was saying that you have to have regressive, easily triggered values that are paper thin to think developed parts of the country are Taliban-like. At least to describe it as such where women and minorities are being oppressed.
Nah, its more that those parts of the country just aren't as nice to live in for people who don't toe the WASPy line. But whatever dude I'm sure Tennessee is great.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I could buy 2 houses there but then I'd own in a ****ty place. Rather live in Santa Maria or arcata.
Tennessee isn't ugly. What is it that you guys find so gross? It would have to be the people, the politics and the religion. The weather I could totally understand but I think it's more ideological for most of you.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Nah, its more that those parts of the country just aren't as nice to live in for people who don't toe the WASPy line. But whatever dude I'm sure Tennessee is great.
No it's ideological. Nashville for one is not some bumpkin town. It's a mid size city that is growing and has added diversity to the mix.

I don't get what some of you people are posting about? Are many of you liberal and non-white that conservative white people scare you or make you feel so insecure that you think whenever they're in big numbers that they're unwelcoming?

Seriously, the insecurities by liberal minorities seem debilitating.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Tennessee isn't ugly. What is it that you guys find so gross? It would have to be the people, the politics and the religion. The weather I could totally understand but I think it's more ideological for most of you.
Jobs for one. California's chock full of cool people and great jobs, and I don't see that changing much in my lifetime.

Quote:
No it's ideological. Nashville for one is not some bumpkin town. It's a mid size city that is growing and has added diversity to the mix.

I don't get what some of you people are posting about? Are many of you liberal and non-white that conservative white people scare you or make you feel so insecure that you think whenever they're in big numbers that they're unwelcoming?

Seriously, the insecurities by liberal minorities seem debilitating.
Yeah, surprise, the liberal city in the state is probably more fun than the rural towns. I'm a white male WASP type who's not scared in the least by white conservatives (as a matter of fact I like to stay quiet and hear the deplorably racist s*** come out of their mouths as they assume I'm an ally). It's just not as nice of a social atmosphere as I would like. I've traveled extensively in the midwest and south, love coming back to Cali. It's getting better though, the young people see the light and are less prejudiced.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Jobs for one. California's chock full of cool people and great jobs, and I don't see that changing much in my lifetime.
That's a big reason why CA will always be on top. It will never flounder no matter how many times the haters bash it, but that doesn't mean that it's CA or NY or bust. That has always been my main point, that other parts of the country have developed enough to where leaving CA wouldn't be a tumble down the stairs level of a step down. I guess I just want to be encouraging of the rest of the country not bashing out of some deep seated insecurities and hatred toward Middle America. Not saying you but others on this board.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:04 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Santa Maria and arcata have better weather and scenery it's not even a contest.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:08 PM

I would really like to drive the Tail of the Dragon in the Smoky Mountains one day though, although I've heard it's gotten cop-y in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California