Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 11:26 AM

661 posts, read 691,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They won't vote, it will be a fee hike by City and County councils.
in·i·ti·a·tive
/iˈniSH(ē)ədiv/

noun: initiative; plural noun: initiatives; noun: the initiative

(especially in some US states and Switzerland) the right of citizens outside the legislature to originate legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 11:27 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
California Supreme Court: Local tax hikes proposed via initiative are different from those by elected officials

California Supreme Court: Local tax hikes proposed via initiative are different from those by elected officials - LA Times

Instead of balancing budgets, .gov will just tax you for more money by bypassing prop 13. Expect special "fees" to push the environmental agenda in CA.
They don't need to push anything to get these feel good taxes approved by the voters. Unless we're talking serious cattle country in the far hinterlands, the average California voter is a Quaternary Urbanite who never met a Green / Left / etc initiative they didn't like. I look at my precinct. It's about 70% Leftists.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:29 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Ahhh yes, the undemocratic notion that a majority vote of citizens can be used to raise taxes.
Poor people voting to redistribute the money of others?

That's about as undemocratic as it gets.

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
in·i·ti·a·tive
/iˈniSH(ē)ədiv/

noun: initiative; plural noun: initiatives; noun: the initiative

(especially in some US states and Switzerland) the right of citizens outside the legislature to originate legislation.
Oops you are right, I went to lunch after reading it and forgot that point.

Humm, I wonder if that means the residents can also do an initiative to drop fees and taxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
When are Californians going to get fed up enough and start voting these bastards out? Trouble is people blindly don't pay any attention to the news and blissfully go on with their lives unaware of anything.
It's been over for years.

In case you didn't notice, the vast influx of people from other long-Blue states overwhelmed the old, as Reagan would have quipped, "God faring Westerners," of yore.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
1. Unintelligent people vote
2. Unintelligent people end up in power
3. Intelligent people get f'd over

it's the vicious cycle of life.

allowing people who haven't had a real job for at least 5 years to vote is STUPID.
Well, actually, a lot of very educated people have moved here. Thing is, they are not educated people from the Golden West. They are educated people from the NE US and upper Midwest.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:31 AM

They might even use your tax dollars to pay government employee's salaries and provide assistance to poor people, run for the hills!

Old 08-29-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Poor people voting to redistribute the money of others?

That's about as undemocratic as it gets.
Yes, like all of those poor people in San Francisco and Santa Monica? Seems to me the poorer areas of the state are the most likely to vote against tax increases for the wealthy.

What should the threshold be for a vote to pass something? Should we exclude people under 50K/year from voting? How about let's just restrict tax initiatives to landowners and then ask them to vote on whether they think they should have to pay property taxes?

Old 08-29-2017, 11:38 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
am sure these towns don't even tax at all:

https://johnrieber.com/2016/11/12/mo...election-2016/

Old 08-29-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
am sure these towns don't even tax at all:

https://johnrieber.com/2016/11/12/mo...election-2016/
And yet many of those rural Oklahoman citizens want the federal government to invest my (coastal elite) tax dollars in their town to either fix their infrastructure that they won't/can't pay for themselves, or to subsidize or outright force private businesses to set up shop there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Oops you are right, I went to lunch after reading it and forgot that point.

Humm, I wonder if that means the residents can also do an initiative to drop fees and taxes?
No worries, it was too easy to pass up The California initiative system has many pluses and minuses, but overall I'd like to keep it. Direct democracy can be messy but it gives the people one more check on their government. And yeah, initiatives and propositions can definitely removed identified taxes or even change the existing tax rates. I don't believe a locality can remove a state tax or a state proposition remove a local tax though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California