Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2017, 10:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times

Advertisements

I am from Texas. I am interested in taking a trip to see the Yosemite area parks sometime in the not too distant future. I want to fly into LAX and rent a car or SUV.

I am planning on 10 days total travel time. 2 days are for travel which leaves 8 days to enjoy the parks. By the parks, I mean Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon.

I have three basic options

1. Drive rental car to the area and rent motels/hotels for lodging, then take day trips to hike and see the sights in the parks.

2. Drive rental car to the area and rent an RV close to the park. The RV includes 100 miles per day at no extra charge, so about 700 to 800 miles included. Cost is about $150 a day. The problem with this is that I am flying in to California and have no gear or supplies whatsoever. I can ship stuff in by UPS or something, pick it up in LA, then ship it back home when the trip is over. I would have to look into the shipping thing further to work out the details. In this case I could have the RV parked at a campsite and use the rental car to check out the sites. I don't know if the RV comes with pots and pans and that kind of thing.

3. Drive rental car to the area and camp in a tent some nights and some nights in a hotel. This is probably my last option since again I don't have any gear and I would need more stuff in this situation. I could ship the stuff in like in option #2. I Don't know how feasible this is.

I want to avoid the crowds as much as possible and still see the parks in all of their glory. What is best time of the year to do this. I am open and can go any time. Obviously the summer and winter would not be the best time or would it? I would think it's way too crowded in the summer and treacherous driving in the winter, so that leaves fall or spring? I'm thinking Oct/Nov or Apr/May?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 11:54 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
I would go with option #1. It would be too much of a hassle to haul around gear for camping. For Yosemite, check out find curry village reservations, lodging, tent cabins, | National Park Central Reservations

Come in the spring to see the waterfalls. The falls can be a trickle in the fall. You're right about the parks being crowded in the summer!

Old 08-30-2017, 04:43 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Option One with shipping stuff via UPS is the best option. Cost effective and most enjoyable. My area of expertise is with Yosemite, which is a local park for me. The Valley accommodations are expensive and always booked up for obvious reasons. Better motel options are found in el Portal and Oakhurst. As far as sightseeing in concerned don't limit yourself to the Valley. A day in the Valley is plenty, but also experience the redwood groves, Glacier point and take a drive to Tioga pass. Yes, Summer weekends in the Valley can be a bit of a Zoo, but winter is special. Spring and Fall are great.

Did Kings Canyon last fall. Nice, but nothing compared to Yosemite and the surrounding country.

The View from Glacier Point:

From the Valley floor that same day:

Be warned that this trip could make you move here, despite the higher cost of living and liberal politics. However, Yosemite is located in a Red part of CA

Old 08-30-2017, 05:47 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,135 times
Option 1. And make reservations very early--every fills up fast, especially in Yosemite.

Don't know what your budget is, but staying at the Majestic Yosemite Hotel is truly an experience. Other unique lodgings are Tenaya Lodge and Erna's Elderberry House.

Mono Lake is also a great place to visit.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the pics.

I wanted to shoot for about $150 a night. I've read about the Majestic but $500 a night is too much. I won't even be spending that much time in the room or at the hotel. Who knows?

I did a search and there are plenty of places on the ourskirts of the park for a reasonable price and even though the area is mountainous they are all withing 20 miles.

How far in advance should I reserve? I think I will going in the spring. I understand that glacier point road closes till may and that is a really nice spot.

I think if I go with the hotel option, I will not need that much gear. Just a good pair of hiking boots and a backpack with snacks and water. Is there anything else I need?

Old 08-31-2017, 10:13 AM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
Think there might be a trade off between spring & fall. In spring you can see more waterfalls, but you run the risk of Tioga Pass (the road to Mono Lake/Mammoth Lakes) being closed (think it opened in late June this yr). Don't think you have that problem in early fall, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:14 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Thanks for the pics.

I did a search and there are plenty of places on the ourskirts of the park for a reasonable price and even though the area is mountainous they are all withing 20 miles.
There's a difference between arriving at the entrance of Yosemite and actually getting down into Yosemite Valley. It may be 20 miles from a hotel in Oakhurst to the Park's entrance, but after that, you still have quite a drive.

From Oakhurst to the Valley is 48 miles and takes almost an hour. Add a line at the entrance gate or a few slow drivers in front of you gawking at stuff in the park, and it can take longer.

So, if you're using Google Maps to calculate distances, be sure to use Yosemite VALLEY not just Yosemite National Park as your park destination. The latter will only take you to the entrance.

There's something to be said for spending a little more to stay in the Park itself (when accommodations are available, of course). I'd rather use the time spent driving back and forth being out on the trails.

Have you looked at the Half Dome tent cabins? That might be a good alternative for you if you're open to camping. That way you won't have to worry about hauling a tent. Half Dome Village in Yosemite National Park CA | TravelYosemite.com

The same is true with Sequoia and Kings Canyon, by the way. Don't just use Sequoia National Park when you google distances and drive times. For Sequoia, use Grants Grove to calculate distances from lodging outside of the park.

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-31-2017 at 11:25 AM..

Old 08-31-2017, 12:06 PM

I am not familiar at all with area. Thanks for the info on Half Dome. I will look into it further. I did spot this place and it is in Groveland. Right now it is $100 a night, I know it is probably more at certain times of the year but as I can see it is still quite a drive to Yosemite Valley. It is 1 hour and 45 minutes as per Google maps.

Yosemite Hotel and Lodging - Yosemite National Park - Evergreen Lodge

I can see what you mean now. But instead of shipping gear which would also cost more money, I could buy gear for what it costs for one night at one of the nice hotels. I have no problem with camping. In fact I prefer it. I do however like to eat well and take a nice shower. Once the trip is over I can donate the gear to Salvation Army or something.

The search I did was this one
https://www.google.com/search?q=yose...E,lf:1,lf_ui:6

What appears in green is not necessarily inside the park as I can see.

I do realize that what looks close on maps very often ends up being a long drive.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:56 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I am not familiar at all with area. Thanks for the info on Half Dome. I will look into it further. I did spot this place and it is in Groveland. Right now it is $100 a night, I know it is probably more at certain times of the year but as I can see it is still quite a drive to Yosemite Valley. It is 1 hour and 45 minutes as per Google maps.

Yosemite Hotel and Lodging - Yosemite National Park - Evergreen Lodge

I can see what you mean now. But instead of shipping gear which would also cost more money, I could buy gear for what it costs for one night at one of the nice hotels. I have no problem with camping. In fact I prefer it. I do however like to eat well and take a nice shower. Once the trip is over I can donate the gear to Salvation Army or something.

The search I did was this one
https://www.google.com/search?q=yose...E,lf:1,lf_ui:6

What appears in green is not necessarily inside the park as I can see.

I do realize that what looks close on maps very often ends up being a long drive.
Honestly the drive from Groveland is not that far to the valley. An hour. The problem is you end up stopping along the way like 20 times. Then yea it takes an hour and a half. There is a lot to see on the way. Some of the most exciting country to be seen is outside of the Valley. From Groveland a great side trip is to Hetch Hetchy. And Groveland is a nice place

Old 09-02-2017, 12:06 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I would recommend staying inside the Park, the drive in, is long & tedious. We normally rent a cabin in housekeeping camp, it is very basic, but they will rent out sheets & blankets for a nominal fee. The best & sometimes, only time to see all the waterfall is in the Spring ( snowmelt), Book early it fills up fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California