Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 07:04 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,128,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
The Central Valley near the delta tend to have the 30f difference between highs and lows as One mentioned. 67 for a low while 97 for a high Though in much of the Central Valley the cooling effect is much slower than the coastal valleys due to the heat given off from the land and the mountains blocking breezes. The city of San Diego may not have a large temperature variation about 15-20 degrees but due to its location the breezes feel pretty cold early in the evening. Even on humid monsoon days the sea breeze still cools the area quickly.
In Bakersfield however not uncommon for temperatures to stay in the 80s past midnight and sometimes for a low temperature. Of course the low deserts beat all with a 90+ for a low for 25 days or more days a year. Those desert hot springs resorts just can't make money over the summer.

While heating is used considerablely less in SoCal than in NorCal, it is still used more than you think. In some houses almost everyday between December and January, This is still not Hawaii or south Florida. Though on some winter days in SoCal it can feel like summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 10:37 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
You are exactly right about the evening cool down in inland Bay Area or LA. The coastal breezes help bring down the temperatures more quickly, except in very extreme heatwaves like we're currently having. We notice that even in inland San Diego, after most hot days, it cools off quite nicely at night, and unless it's triple digits, which is rare, it gets surprisingly cool after sunset. I think Redding in the far north, and Bakersfield in the far south of the Central Valley, are even more prone to hot nights, with lows not infrequently around 80f, because they also have a smidgeon of elevation, meaning they are located in thermal belts that rise above the lower portions of the valley floor where the cooler air collects at night. Similarly, hills above the valleys in LA or inland Bay Area can stay very hot at night during heatwaves, sometimes staying in the high 70s or low 80s for low temps while the valleys below cool into the 60s. So it's a combination of the cooling breeze and/or elevation.

Since when to buildings in SoCal not have functioning heating? We're not a third world country! That would be a bit of a challenge during cold snaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We're used to cool nights and don't deal well with humid heat. Many people don't sleep well when it's this warm, or don't have a/c, or don't like running it all night, so everyone is cranky. I'm sure there are some people who like it, but everyone I've talked to is uncomfortable!

Depends on the beach for the low temperatures--I was looking at the closest one to me, Laguna Beach, which has an average low of 59-61 in July, August, and September. Which means that often it's even a little cooler than that.
Interesting saying how we are not a third world country. Having been to SoCal for many times a year and now living here during these two very hot and sultry humid years I am surprised anyone would be living without A/C in SoCal or any building be without A/C in this day and age. Also why we in SoCal often have a separate heating system from the A/C when most houses/apartment/ and other buildings in the southern states where winters are not too cold just use whats called a heat pump or reverse cycle A/C unit that can both heat and cool. It saves having to maintain two systems that can break down separately. Wouldn't it be much easier if we just equip every building in SoCal with a central or Minisplit heat pump A/C system which is very common in the rest of the world instead of a separate "space heater" and a box air conditioner or a gas furnace and a separate A/C compressor thus killing two birds with one stone this way?

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 09-02-2017 at 10:46 AM..

Old 09-02-2017, 06:51 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We're used to cool nights and don't deal well with humid heat. Many people don't sleep well when it's this warm, or don't have a/c, or don't like running it all night, so everyone is cranky. I'm sure there are some people who like it, but everyone I've talked to is uncomfortable!

Depends on the beach for the low temperatures--I was looking at the closest one to me, Laguna Beach, which has an average low of 59-61 in July, August, and September. Which means that often it's even a little cooler than that.
Laguna Beach weather station is kind of an anomaly. Most beachside lows in July and August are 64-65F.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:41 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
It can be in the low to mid 20's in L.A and San Diego in the winter time. Note* record low: L.A 23 and SD 25

Old 09-05-2017, 12:48 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
http://www.laalmanac.com/weather/we03.php

Last edited by the topper; 09-05-2017 at 01:01 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 07:29 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
It can be in the low to mid 20's in L.A and San Diego in the winter time. Note* record low: L.A 23 and SD 25
Indeed! But record temps are so rare that you wouldn't expect them regularly. 30s are not uncommon though.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:37 AM

243 posts, read 224,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh009 View Post
Oh cool, I'm from London and have family near Pasadena, I think they live in Glendale?? Not too sure tho. Here, in England 95% of the time you have to wear a jacket if you wanna go out at night even in the summer which is annoying so is it like that in the summer where you live?

Yeah I will say so. I personally don't wear a jacket during summer because I usually feel the heat more than most people lol I'm sensitive to heat. Don't like it.

But more often than not, during normal summer days, you will see that people usually always carry a light sweater here. Especially around downtown and the coastal areas of LA, it can get chilly at night.

I used to work in Glendale, and it follows almost the same pattern as Pasadena. Here, you probably won't need a sweater/jacket during the summer. Both cities are inland valley cities, and stay pretty warm during the summer.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:12 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Indeed! But record temps are so rare that you wouldn't expect them regularly. 30s are not uncommon though.
It does get below 30 for a few nights a year.

Though the record low is actually pretty high for something at this latitude. I read that Tallahassee Florida which is lower in elevation and latitude and normally pretty warm year round even in the winter has a all time low of -2f. Hard to believe as its a very rare day in Florida that is not sweating in t shirts, shorts, flip flops, or sleeping with A/C on in Florida year round even in the dead of winter.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:22 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh009 View Post
Yeah I totally understand, I prefer a semi change in seasons anyway not just constant heat like in FL which I feel like would get extremely boring after a while. I mean I wanna be able to wear a jacket some days
I live in Ontario and most nights I the summer we have lows in the 60s with a nice breeze from the west. Only a few nights in the summer is the temps uncomfortable. In the winter we regularly have lows in the 40s and high 30s. I always say that So Cal winter is like an extended Midwestern fall temperature wise which I love.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:44 AM

321 posts, read 333,306 times
Why do you want nights to be warm? Tehe

You won't be able to sleep comfortably then.

I think SoCal weather is famous for sunny warm days and cool nights. Inland cities are more extreme.

If you want hot nights, go to Florida. Though it'll be humid too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California