Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 04:49 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Those aren't going to make a huge difference. The way to get housing costs under control in California would be to dramatically reduce its appeal, and for Silicon Valley to have a major crash. Either that or pave over the entire Central Valley with subdivisions (but then, that's already the cheapest part of the state so it's not going to happen either).

Basically, there is no solution that will have much of an impact.

Exactly!

People are moaning and so forth over rising housing prices here in NYC; and guess what? That is due to middle to high income persons once again wanting to live here.

It is simple economics 101; more desirable a place is the higher real estate values/costs. You see the same with places like Paris, London, Hong Kong, and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 06:30 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,495 times
CA's answer to all their financial problems seems to be "tax them more" yet they never seem to dig themselves out of the hole.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:58 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,365,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Let me get this right... the left claim sales tax is regressive and the left wants to raise sales tax... bunch of hypocrites and thieves...
Since Seattle has been Californicated they do it too. Call sales taxes regressive and then raise it on drinks they say the poor drink the most of, or try to raise the sales tax because the poor can't afford 'the arts'. Or even better, increase property taxes (making property more expensive) to try and make housing more affordable. The left has drunk the 1984 cool aid so deeply they can't tell up from down.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
So what? And?

It costs money to run a state. If folks want services, they should pay for them.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:49 AM

50,246 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
One of the best ways to get housing costs under control, do away with single family housing. California may be huge, but factor in the rough terrain, and the needed agricultural land, California doesn't have much land left. Single family housing needs to go.
They are already building condos where sfh used to be. Guess what, those aren't affordable either.

Bottom line is, no one is entitled to live in CA much the less the beach.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Exactly. But, it's crunch time. people are so stupid. They complain about this and that, but when actual, workable solutions present themselves, all of a sudden everything is ok. There's nowhere left to build in much of SoCal until somebody figures out a way to flatten all the mountains within 5 miles of the coastline.
I'll say they are stupid. The solution for these poor whiners is right in front of them. Move. No "affordable" housing is going to be built near the beach. Not today, not tomorrow or the next year.

New condos within 10 miles of the beach are still 4-600 grand. And that's the cheap ones. One bedroom apartments being built across from the Mission Bay golf course have rents starting at 2500. 2 BR start at 3500 per month. Affordable?

Tuscon apartments start at 500 a month

https://www.google.com/search?q=tucs...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 09-16-2017, 09:54 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They are already building condos where sfh used to be. Guess what, those aren't affordable either.

Bottom line is, no one is entitled to live in CA much the less the beach.
I hear people mention this all the time, except they don't think it through. That would basically cause all low wage industries in the state to shutdown, because the people who "can afford" to live in CA aren't going to work the low wage jobs, so if you are okay with movie theaters, grocery stores, bowling alleys, restaurants and other retailers going away, and having to have food and clothes mail ordered in from out of state, then have at it.....

Old 09-16-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I hear people mention this all the time, except they don't think it through. That would basically cause all low wage industries in the state to shutdown, because the people who "can afford" to live in CA aren't going to work the low wage jobs, so if you are okay with movie theaters, grocery stores, bowling alleys, restaurants and other retailers going away, and having to have food and clothes mail ordered in from out of state, then have at it.....
Did you catch the recent news about a house fire that housed 20 people? It appears they have found a way.

Won't bother me, a SFH owner at the beach, either way. Ever heard of Amazon? I get a package DELIVERED about once a day. Plus, I have my own giant garden with fruit trees, import my meats twice a year from AZ. I could care less about movies or restaurants. I have multiple big screens to watch movies. Anything else I'll get dropped off on my porch. Sounds like it will be by a drone soon.

Trust me, I've thought it through. The latest gas tax is going to hit the poor a lot harder than it will the likes of people like me.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:06 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,666,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Seven Los Angeles County jurisdictions will be increasing the sales tax to 10.25 percent. I am sure if they had the same sales tax rate as Oregon, Montana or New Hampshire that people would have more to pay rent or mortgages.
I think Nashville was something close to 9% when I was there many years ago. Oh, it's 9.25% today - but I guess it's not worthy of a post, eh?

The problem here is this false assumption that money we earn is "ours". It's not and has never been. It's just a construct so we can trade and live...WHILST WE ARE ALIVE.

The entire refi biz, as far as I am concerned, is and was a complete scam. Of course, the gubment was in on it by lowering interest WAY under real market rates. My guess is that many of the "complainers" have benefited from lower interest rates - meantime those of us who owned our houses and businesses and cars 100% took the brunt (we couldn't earn interest - can't compete against "almost free").

The churning of refis is another dangerous game - lots of people make money each time this happens and yet no real improvement to society is gained. No new factories, no new schools, no better education populace...but some money flipped to bankers, refi agents, etc.

All of this stuff is part of the same problem - Americans simply do not want to pay for their lifestyles and they think the Gubment should do so by "saving them money" on their debts.

A more sane approach might be a VAT which covers the entire country and is, like other countries, not just on retail but on purchased items and supplies straight up the line. Then we can have universal health care, better education and better infrastructure - and actually pay for it.

But this won't happen. The USA is about "pleasure NOW and screw those future generations"...in the form of tax cuts, doing away with the Estate Tax, etc.

It's as if they think we fix problems by making them worse! Amazing!

Old 09-16-2017, 10:09 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,666,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
CA's answer to all their financial problems seems to be "tax them more" yet they never seem to dig themselves out of the hole.
A "sport" among those who can't afford to live in nice places appears to be that they become "experts" in other people's business. The problem here is that this does not provide a solution - they still have to be miserable living in some backwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California