Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:20 PM

491 posts, read 324,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm ok with that too, but, the problem is the number of people who can't afford to pay in. They don't really have a choice. Your model gives health care to those that can afford it, but not all. So how is that "universal".
Oh no, please understand. You would be opting out (ie consciously removing yourself from the service and so people in that category would opt not to receive treatment in return for a tax break of the percentage paid towards a universal, single payer system) - anyone not opting out would be covered. It would be universal save for those who remove themselves.

If 5% of taxes went to Universal Health Care, you'd simply get a reduction in your rate rate so you'd not be funding it. The concept would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Of course they are, just like with any hardcore liberal state. Go put a Trump bumper sticker on your car and drive through California. They'll be protesting and rioting. In fact, UC Berkeley is one of the most liberal colleges. Actually more like a daycare center for grown adult babies who need their safe space.

That was funny!

I did PolSci at university many years ago (how sad, I'm getting old) and the profs were (nearly) all 1960's Hippies who espoused a (moderate) liberal line. These days though all the feedback I get/data I see suggests that academic is a hard left bastion especially in the social sciences.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:19 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,638 times
California is the most intolerant place that I've ever lived. The left in this country has convinced itself that the other side is evil and that any action is justified in stopping them. If you tolerate them, you're supporting evil. So, tolerance for an opposing viewpoint is really off the table.

So, if you're a conservative in this state -- you better hide that fact. It's funny that even moderate Democrats are seeing the hate directed toward them. You really do need to support every piece of liberal dogma or you become a target. This intolerance really has to stop before it leads to more and more violence.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
California is the most intolerant place that I've ever lived. The left in this country has convinced itself that the other side is evil and that any action is justified in stopping them. If you tolerate them, you're supporting evil. So, tolerance for an opposing viewpoint is really off the table.

So, if you're a conservative in this state -- you better hide that fact. It's funny that even moderate Democrats are seeing the hate directed toward them. You really do need to support every piece of liberal dogma or you become a target. This intolerance really has to stop before it leads to more and more violence.

I'm a moderate Democrat - I believe in social spending and Affirmative Action to right past wrongs BUT I am a firm believer in traditional values and traditional definitions. I find the modern incarnation of 'liberal' frankly a bit shocking. A strong military, a working nation who knows the state has its back in a firm social contract.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:22 PM

817 posts, read 922,386 times
Probably most Democrat voters in California are more moderate than the extreme views that the governor, state legislature, activists, and blowhard celebrites support. The problem is that a moderate Democrat won't have all the checkboxes that the party demands, and won't get on the ticket, and won't get the party's support. They probably also would not get the support of the fractured base of voters, each a group that thinks they are voting in their own self interest, while at the same time voting for things they don't beleive in at the same time.

Just like the Republicans who keep nominating non-establishment candidates like McCain, Romney, and Trump, the Democrat voters may not be the stereotype, but they have been made afraid of the stereotype of the Republicans. Most adults don't make a lot of political noise, so the conservative media goes towards the activists and college students to get quotes to rile up their audience.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:02 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
I live in CA. Where I am if you do NOT have a trump bumper sticker you're in the minority.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:06 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I live in CA. Where I am if you do NOT have a trump bumper sticker you're in the minority.
Where's that??

Old 09-24-2017, 10:13 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
There are plenty of areas in California with a majority of Conservatives. You'd probably fit in better in those locations but even in the most liberal areas, no one is going to force you to get gay married. They will however prevent you from imposing your own narrow minded definition of marriage on others.

And btw, you are dead wrong if you think that older people are more like you - I'm in my mid 50s and I see lots of people older than me who have been fighting for equality and civil rights since the 1960s and they aren't stopping now.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:21 AM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
They're not necessarily intolerant. They just have a plurality in many communities plus a majority in state government so they do whatever hair-brained thing they want with no checks or balance. Its frustrating for a moderate Democrat who is used to the back and forth in state politics of the 80s and 90s. Now its one party rule and I don't like that. On a social level, yeah, the younger generation seems much more liberal than in the past. It will probably swing the other way when they have kids (if they bother to reproduce at all - probably just get a dog).
It's hare-brained to think that the expression is 'hair-brained'.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:40 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
There are plenty of areas in California with a majority of Conservatives. You'd probably fit in better in those locations but even in the most liberal areas, no one is going to force you to get gay married. They will however prevent you from imposing your own narrow minded definition of marriage on others.

And btw, you are dead wrong if you think that older people are more like you - I'm in my mid 50s and I see lots of people older than me who have been fighting for equality and civil rights since the 1960s and they aren't stopping now.
What're you talking about???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California