Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:41 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,032,626 times

Advertisements

I have thought about it, maybe will do it - what say you all?

California's housing crisis is 'extremely serious,' voters say | The Sacramento Bee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 03:23 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
the only reason I'm still here is my elderly dad. Otherwise I would have bolted years ago. Housing costs isn't my reason though.... my reason is the state govt, the homeless, the pension crisis and possible devastating earth quake. I'm having a hard enough time patching the wall cracks in my condo a bad earth quake would probably red tag it and there goes my equity.

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a ticking time bomb and I don't know what's going to explode first.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:38 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,032,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
the only reason I'm still here is my elderly dad. Otherwise I would have bolted years ago. Housing costs isn't my reason though.... my reason is the state govt, the homeless, the pension crisis and possible devastating earth quake. I'm having a hard enough time patching the wall cracks in my condo a bad earth quake would probably red tag it and there goes my equity.

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a ticking time bomb and I don't know what's going to explode first.
The poll showed that the elderly were least likely to move. I am in that age group, but Kansas is looking pretty good (not entirely joking).

If you can convince your Dad to move, try to peddle your condo for what you can get and off to Tucson!

Old 09-20-2017, 04:44 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
The poll showed that the elderly were least likely to move. I am in that age group, but Kansas is looking pretty good (not entirely joking).

If you can convince your Dad to move, try to peddle your condo for what you can get and off to Tucson!

My friend lives in Kansas.. she likes it there.

I'm planning on going back to Tucson next month and look around some more. It has a lot of positives for me.. And I could buy a awesome house.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:00 PM

19,211 posts, read 16,696,914 times
I'm considering it. With no family left in California, there's nothing holding me here. Playing the rob peter to pay paul game every year due to increased fees whether it's taxes, utilities, automobile, Etc., there will come a time that I'll end up being at the bottom rung of the ladder. I just want to make sure I leave while I'm still physically able to pack my things.

Real estate here is escalating at a faster rate than in previous years so I'm hanging on until I can get a little more equity out of this place. One house across the street from me sold late July for a nice price and another house two doors down sold for 10K more just 30 days later. Same floor plan, sq footage. That's a huge jump and reminiscent of 2005. Right now, that's the only reason I don't sell today.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:13 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Here's the deal. Prop 13. That's a major advantage in staying.

Our dilemma is, while not house poor, our home in the expensive near-coastal part of the Bay Area is a big chunk of our net worth. Also, it is nearly a worst case scenario for aging in place - zillions of steep stairs, pathetic walk score, steep slippery driveway and walks, narrow doorways ... you get the picture. So we ARE going to downsize at some point.

So then the question becomes, downsize to where? Our ability to preserve our Prop 13 basis is limited to either our own county, or a few others that reciprocate. We are looking seriously at the less sexy parts of our county. We would downsize in terms of dwelling (say, from a 1200 SF 3/2/2 to a 950SF 2/1.5/1) as well as downsizing from a "sexy" zip code to one where there are more pick up trucks than Priuses.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:03 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
My friend lives in Kansas.. she likes it there.

I'm planning on going back to Tucson next month and look around some more. It has a lot of positives for me.. And I could buy a awesome house.
Tucson made the list! #28

50 worst cities to live in

Old 09-21-2017, 09:47 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
I have thought about it, maybe will do it - what say you all?
Yup, I'm leaving. I fall into the '65 and over' group. Most of my stuff is in the new place and the house in the Antelope Valley is on the market. Just need to paint the back railing and empty the garage of the tools and camping gear. Cost of housing was only one factor in my decision to leave the state of my birth. The current political balance in the state, the economic health of the state's liabilities, and the condition of the infrastructure are the other major reasons.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-21-2017, 10:58 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
I already live in a part of the state with reasonable housing costs. When I retire I won't have a private or government pension - just my investments. I doubt they'll earn enough to bump me into an onerous tax bracket and social security isn't taxed here. The only thing I can think of where moving out of state would benefit me is a larger house for the same price. Even an inland place like Butte County has a higher cost per square foot than much of the country ($160 to $180 vs. $100 to $120).

Old 09-21-2017, 11:59 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Kind of odd how the region with the most expensive housing has the lowest, although still high, percentage of people who said they are considering moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California