Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:22 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post

You appear to be advocating scrapping emissions reductions because there are more vehicles on the road, and thus more pollution than in the past, per your claim. Imagine how bad the air pollution would be today with all the vehicles we have on the road now than what it was in the 60s and 70s if we didn't have those laws in effect. We would have air pollution like what they are dealing with in China. And not just in California, but in large metro areas across the country.
You are totally misunderstanding my posts. I agree things are better than they were and I started driving. in 1964 in OC.

My point was about the "special" gas in CA that is no longer doing much except making more money for the gas companies and nice political "contributions" for the politicians.The emission controls today have virtually eliminated the need for that gas.

If you look I also mentioned hybrids as they work well, even if they can have significant costs to repair due to having both an engine and batteries. Electric cars have huge hurdles to over come such as range, charge time and an adequate supply from non polluting sources. They are not even close and yes I am involved in the Industry both Automotive and Green power issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 03:43 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You are totally misunderstanding my posts. I agree things are better than they were and I started driving. in 1964 in OC.

My point was about the "special" gas in CA that is no longer doing much except making more money for the gas companies and nice political "contributions" for the politicians.The emission controls today have virtually eliminated the need for that gas.

If you look I also mentioned hybrids as they work well, even if they can have significant costs to repair due to having both an engine and batteries. Electric cars have huge hurdles to over come such as range, charge time and an adequate supply from non polluting sources. They are not even close and yes I am involved in the Industry both Automotive and Green power issues.
You are wrong again about the special gas. Specially-blended gas is not limited to California. California, the Dallas, Houston, Chicago, and Northeast metro areas use a low-volatility blend to mitigate the ozone problem. Denver uses a special blend for high elevations. Some regions of the country use a winter blend that evaporates at a lower temperature.

These blends serve a purpose and they work. Even if you don't think so.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:21 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
You are wrong again about the special gas. Specially-blended gas is not limited to California. California, the Dallas, Houston, Chicago, and Northeast metro areas use a low-volatility blend to mitigate the ozone problem. Denver uses a special blend for high elevations. Some regions of the country use a winter blend that evaporates at a lower temperature.

These blends serve a purpose and they work. Even if you don't think so.
The general blends you mention are used I agree; AND there is no added costs, they just adjust for the time of the year or circumstances.

CA's special blend is costing more and doing next to nothing. If they used the same "special" blends the other States do, the cost would be lower and emissions would be basically the same as with the expensive "special CA" blend.

Blends for the time of year and special issues are normal, BUT not at the added cost CA has.

Example the highest gas price in Denver is $2.89; Lowest $2.15

http://www.denvergasprices.com/

In LA $3.89: Lowest $2.62
http://www.losangelesgasprices.com/

Both areas have cheaper gas than the maximum some places charge, but LA cost is higher than Denver at all levels.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:18 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
I can see that can getting kicked down the road again and again for years. Its one thing to encourage it, but its another to mandate it.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:46 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Some people have to be dragged, kicking and screaming into the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Buying a electric car today is like buying a $1,200 computer in 1992 when tech. advances would make it obsolete in a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I can see that can getting kicked down the road again and again for years. Its one thing to encourage it, but its another to mandate it.
This "future" is not good enough yet. That's why it's subsidized and being forced by the government.

By the way, talking about kicking the can down the road, electricity is still generated somehow. Windmills and solar arrays can't keep up in a fully electric society. The emissions are being moved from the tail pipe to a power plant, out of sight out of mind right?

Old 10-11-2017, 12:09 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The general blends you mention are used I agree; AND there is no added costs, they just adjust for the time of the year or circumstances.

CA's special blend is costing more and doing next to nothing. If they used the same "special" blends the other States do, the cost would be lower and emissions would be basically the same as with the expensive "special CA" blend.

Blends for the time of year and special issues are normal, BUT not at the added cost CA has.

Example the highest gas price in Denver is $2.89; Lowest $2.15

Denver Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Colorado

In LA $3.89: Lowest $2.62
Los Angeles Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in California

Both areas have cheaper gas than the maximum some places charge, but LA cost is higher than Denver at all levels.

The price of gas isn't a big issue for me. I don't mind paying a little more for better air quality. Aside from that, it isn't the gasoline blend that is increasing the costs here. The tax on gasoline is a big part of it. I do think someone out here is profiting from it though. I read that the additional costs to refine California gas is about 5 cents a gallon. That doesn't explain the price differential before sales tax, and it certainly doesn't account for a 70 cent a gallon difference between metro areas. The stories about refining capacities in California doesn't add up either. California has enough refining capacity to export gas to Central and South America. It may be the way gas is distributed here. Multiple refineries put their gas in the same pipelines to be transported to other areas of the state. Maybe the companies owning the pipelines are adding costs to the price of gas.

At any rate, I paid about $2.39 a gallon when I left Sacramento to go see the solar eclipse. I topped off in Winnemucca and paid $2.65. I got burned in Burns, OR for $2.99 a gallon. I think the cheapest gas I saw in Oregon while traveling the following week was about $2.74. Oregon gets their gas from refineries in California and Washington. I filled up yesterday and paid $2.49.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California