Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:13 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times

Advertisements

Having moved from LA to the Bay Area recently, my opinion is that SF is a better place to visit but LA is a better place to live. SF's weather is cold and cloudy too often more me to spend extended amounts of time in the city. Having said that, SF is much more compact with plenty of dining/entertainment options that are much easier to access. LA being bigger allows more breathing room as a resident, but this means its attractions are much more spread out and because of the traffic it can be very difficult to to get across town. As a family man, SF's suburbs are much better than LA's as far as livability and school quality, you pay for it though as housing in the Bay Area is noticeably more expensive than greater LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 12:12 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Having moved from LA to the Bay Area recently, my opinion is that SF is a better place to visit but LA is a better place to live. SF's weather is cold and cloudy too often more me to spend extended amounts of time in the city. Having said that, SF is much more compact with plenty of dining/entertainment options that are much easier to access. LA being bigger allows more breathing room as a resident, but this means its attractions are much more spread out and because of the traffic it can be very difficult to to get across town. As a family man, SF's suburbs are much better than LA's as far as livability and school quality, you pay for it though as housing in the Bay Area is noticeably more expensive than greater LA.
You actually prefer LA weather to SF weather? There are a lot of negative aspects to SF but it does have the best weather in the US especially in the Outside Lands.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 AM

671 posts, read 445,773 times
Neither. Central Cal is the best. San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Cayucos, Cambria, Los Osos, Pismo. But you better have money because it's expensive.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You actually prefer LA weather to SF weather? There are a lot of negative aspects to SF but it does have the best weather in the US especially in the Outside Lands.
To each his own I suppose. I enjoy sunshine and warm weather, both of which are severely lacking in SF, especially in the western parts of the city. I know very few people who prefer fog over sunshine.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:09 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Few people would agree with this as most don't like the amount of wind, fog, and cool weather that area gets. SoCal weather directly along the coast far superior to the weather directly on the NorCal coast unless you're some hermit who hates the sun and mild to warm weather.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelove90 View Post
I've been to LA twice, and I'm visiting San Francisco right now. I personally prefer San Francisco. I find the weather to be much more comfortable than LA. The air itself also seems cleaner and fresher. San Francisco though isn't as high energy as LA, and the people seem more real. Those are just some of my opinions.
wow, what do you call more real? I would probably think just the opposite. We have lived in both places but it has been quite a few years. I would take the Los Angeles area if I were to live in CA, but San Francisco for visiting. Remember the impressions we get from a vacation or business trip can be very different from living in a community. As for weather, neither is perfect, both nice. San Francisco and the fog can get a bit depressing but the summer heat in parts of Los Angeles can be a killer. I would take San Diego for weather.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:24 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Few people would agree with this as most don't like the amount of wind, fog, and cool weather that area gets. SoCal weather directly along the coast far superior to the weather directly on the NorCal coast unless you're some hermit who hates the sun and mild to warm weather.
Living in L.A. for so many years, and now being back there, have made me really hate the oppressive heat in the summers and the sunshine. And the heat is worse than ever. At this point I'd trade Portland's weather for L.A.'s.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
Neither. Central Cal is the best. San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Cayucos, Cambria, Los Osos, Pismo. But you better have money because it's expensive.
A.J. Spurs is tasty there...

Old 10-12-2017, 11:03 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think you need to compare the entire SF Bay Area vs LA, instead of just the city of SF. SF proper is pretty small, and LA covers a huge area.

I grew up in the SF Bay Area, so I'm comfortable here. But, when you look at the entire area vs. LA, I think they're really pretty comparable. Just depends where you feel more comfortable. The lifestyle and culture is different. The traffic is comparable. Beaches and water would be warmer in LA - but you'll be expected to look better in your bikini :-)
For there a "SF vs LA" discussion to even be possible, San Francisco has to annex every city and county in its orbit, while Los Angeles could use just its city limits.

DTLA, Echo Park, Silver Lake, Chinatown, Koreatown, Hollywood....that's about %20 of LA city and that much easily surpasses San Francisco in pretty much every category. SF vs. Long Beach would be a much more realistic discussion.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:34 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I grew up in the Bay Area suburbs and always thought that San Francisco's microclimate was awful. I remember how we would bundle up to go into the City and then change back into normal clothes again when we would get back. Living in the suburbs, however, especially inland, puts you into hot and sunny weather, the Great Schools, relative affordability compared to the city, and still access to the city. So I think Bay Area suburbs give you the best of all worlds, if you love San Francisco but hate its climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California