Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 04:48 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

My sister forwarded me all her scanned files for the renovations.

I will be compiling data into an excel spreadsheet and cross reference to receipts and pictures.

I will do a separate sheet for personal belongings and cross reference to any pictures available.

I've stayed at her house tons and am very familiar with most of the stuff in the house.

I'm just glad to have something to do, and she has way to much on plate right now.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 05:14 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yes, but a wood frame house will completely burn to the ground in as little as 20 minutes, nothing left. Even in the hottest fire should take at least 30 minutes before the fire starts spalling concrete. So if it takes the fire department 20 minutes to arrive, they could stand a good chance of saving a concrete block house. There would be nothing left for them to save of a wood frame house. And if the fire doesn't get that hot, it could easily burn itself out in a concrete block house. A wood frame house doesn't stand much of a chance, unless the fire is controlled very quickly.
You can get out before a wildfire hits. You have no warning when quakes hit. I'd rather have a wood house in a seismic zone than masonry. Houses can be rebuilt, lives can't be replaced. Metal roofing or clay or slate roofing goes a long way in helping with fire issues, as does a fire break and sprinklers.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:17 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You can get out before a wildfire hits. You have no warning when quakes hit. I'd rather have a wood house in a seismic zone than masonry. Houses can be rebuilt, lives can't be replaced. Metal roofing or clay or slate roofing goes a long way in helping with fire issues, as does a fire break and sprinklers.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:30 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
I'm so sorry for everyone who either lost their home or knows someone who did; heart goes out to you especially, Rosie, Mikala and Derek on your families' loss. So much loss which goes beyond personal property. Losing a life as well as a lifetime of memories, it's unimaginable. I was really affected by this story.

A couple, married 75 years died together in their home because the fire came so quickly, there was no way to get them out. Reminded me of my own elderly parents (married 70 years) who died within months of each other but nothing as tragic as this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ire/750478001/

This before and after photo of an area in Santa Rosa is frightening. How quickly life can change from happy to homeless. If it doesn't make everyone stop and think about their own existence ...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ps-photos.html

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Old 10-10-2017, 06:35 PM

671 posts, read 445,267 times
Anyone here in Paradise Calif? Lower Paradise is closest to Honey Fire but upper Paradise is ok so far. Just no cell service and Action News not reporting anything about it. Scouring the net, I read that AT&T and MetroPCS (Tmobile) had lines burned but Verizon is supposedly still available. Unfortunately I use MetroPCS..so nothing since yesterday.

Anyone in Paradise finding the same problem with cell service?

Old 10-10-2017, 07:05 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
Anyone here in Paradise Calif? Lower Paradise is closest to Honey Fire but upper Paradise is ok so far. Just no cell service and Action News not reporting anything about it. Scouring the net, I read that AT&T and MetroPCS (Tmobile) had lines burned but Verizon is supposedly still available. Unfortunately I use MetroPCS..so nothing since yesterday.

Anyone in Paradise finding the same problem with cell service?
I am in Paradise & we have xfinity for cable & internet & freedom pop for cell. I have been getting updates from facebook, "Life in Paradise" a & Butte county fires accidents & crimes. ( Both are FB pages)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/butt...rimes/?fref=nf

Skyway is open in both directions now.

I have been using my landline today so I can't comment on cell phones, but when I am home, I use the home internet on the phone to make calls, so I don;t use up any data.

Last edited by evening sun; 10-10-2017 at 07:26 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 07:25 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Those pictures are just unreal!

Old 10-10-2017, 07:29 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Still so sad

Heartbroken for all - just there in August and loved it.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:26 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I can show you my sister's house on the first pic. Right across from the playground.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-10-2017, 08:36 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
That is horrific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California