Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 06:05 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,129,846 times

Advertisements

Okay, so recently I just started to become more fascinated with NorCal (past San Francisco, of course) (by researching and viewing online images).

So... What can YOU tell me about the following NorCal counties: Del Norte, Humboldt, Mendocino, Siskiyou, Modoc, Lassen, Plumas, Shasta, Tehama, Trinity, Lake, Glenn, Butte, Colusa, Yuba, Sierra, and Nevada? Anything? Any cities or towns in any of these aforementioned NorCal counties that are of any interest? Any sort of info on this is absolutely welcomed!

One thing I've read is that the meth and property crime in Clearlake and Orland is pretty bad. Is it really THAT bad?

After all, the city is always more dangerous than out in the country, right?

What are the cheapest towns in any of these NorCal counties mentioned?

I read that it can get quite hot in the summer (100-115°F, maybe even 120°F) in some of those counties (Lake, Tehama, Modoc, etc.), but that's okay, because I actually enjoy the heat.

Which parts of Modoc and Lassen Counties are within the Great Basin Desert?

I have also read that Eureka, Red Bluff, Anderson, Grass Valley, Oroville, Redding, Gridley, Clearlake, Ukiah, Yreka, Chico, Crescent City, and Corning were listed in the Top 100 Most Unsafe Cities in California last year.

I've also read that most major shopping, entertainment, medical facilities, etc. are quite a drive.

Which of these aforementioned NorCal counties is the cheapest/most expensive (from cheapest to most expensive)? If I have to guess, I would imagine that Mendocino County is the most expensive, while Modoc County is likely the cheapest.

I plan to relocate to any of these counties in NorCal either once I get a bit older and start my own family, or once I begin to retire.

One of these days, I would LOVE to take a trip up to those counties in NorCal to just explore and see for myself! I sure am missing out, aren't I?

I welcome any sort of information for any of these NorCal counties mentioned (and possibly any cities/towns in any of those regions as well)

SO... to recap, what can any of YOU tell me about any of these counties in NorCal I mentioned? Like I said, ANY sort of info is absolutely welcomed!

Any answers and insights are greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 10-16-2017 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 06:15 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
I live in Butte county, I hear tales of meth heads but I never see anything first hand. We have a hospital here in town & loads of drs (Paradise) & there is also a hospital in Chico & I think one in Oroville also, plus Sacramento is not that far away if the need arose.
The summer is hot, but I like it, we go out on the lakes to cool down, boating is very common up here. We also have access to wonderful fresh & local grown fruits & veg. In my town we only have a Kmart & a few dollar stores but Chico is only 10 or 12 miles away, & most of the big box stores are there, I do not consider that a long drive, we go most weeks, the groceries tend to be a bit cheaper plus they have a Costco.
There is a movie theater down the road, & we also have a local theater, that puts on 3 or 4 plays/musicals a year, symphony & chorus. What other entertainment do you want.
There is not much I can't find up here, we used to live in the Bay Area, but do not miss the congestion & rudeness at all.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I live in Butte county, I hear tales of meth heads but I never see anything first hand. We have a hospital here in town & loads of drs (Paradise) & there is also a hospital in Chico & I think one in Oroville also, plus Sacramento is not that far away if the need arose.
The summer is hot, but I like it, we go out on the lakes to cool down, boating is very common up here. We also have access to wonderful fresh & local grown fruits & veg. In my town we only have a Kmart & a few dollar stores but Chico is only 10 or 12 miles away, & most of the big box stores are there, I do not consider that a long drive, we go most weeks, the groceries tend to be a but cheaper plus they have a Costco.
There is a movie theater down the road, & we also have a local theater & symphony & chorus. What other entertainment do you want.
There is not much I can't find up here, we used to live in the Bay Area, but do not miss the congestion & rudeness at all.
Cool!

Question: Is Oroville the cheapest town in Butte County, and are meth and property crime the main causes as to why the crime rate in Oroville is so high?

Old 10-16-2017, 06:23 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
I don't know, we live in Paradise, but I have found the drug problems are somewhat exaggerated. I think there is a poster here who lives in Oroville, I hope he will check in.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I don't know, we live in Paradise, but I have found the drug problems are somewhat exaggerated. I think there is a poster here who lives in Oroville, I hope he will check in.
Oh, okay.

I believe I know who you're referring to... BeauCharles?

Old 10-16-2017, 06:35 PM

Also, I've read the Wikipedia article on Lake County, and it said that it has been ranked by the American Lung Association as having the cleanest air in the nation, including in 2013, 2014, and 2015. Lake County has also been ranked twenty-four times as having the cleanest air in California.

Wow!

Old 10-17-2017, 02:29 PM

Question(s): Does Butte County actually have four distinct seasons (i.e., fall colors)? Which other NorCal counties have this?

Old 10-17-2017, 03:35 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,067 times
Don't move there Brandon, you'll be eaten by Bigfoot.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Don't move there Brandon, you'll be eaten by Bigfoot.
Maybe a bear, but not Bigfoot.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:57 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Oh, hello everyone. Yeah, Oroville does have a bit more property crime than Paradise. I've lived here nine years and had one incident - someone kicked in the side door to my garage at 11AM trying to burglarize the place while I was home. Saw my two cars parked inside and took off though. If I'd had them in the driveway like everyone else does he wouldn't have tried it. I spoke with my immediate neighbors and none of them had every had anything like that happen and they've all been here longer than me. The town does have quite a few homeless people (mostly men) roaming around. There's a big Salvation Army church and a rescue mission that feeds them so I think that's why so many gravitate here. From what I understand most aren't from here - its just a hassle free place for them so they hang around.

The biggest drug issue here now is pretty much what you'll see all over NorCal - pot, pot and more pot. While there's still some meth its really no worse than many other towns up and down the state. It was really bad for it back in the late 80s and 90s, but those people either got cleaned up, went to jail or died. I rarely see obvious active "tweakers" anymore.

All that said the people around here are quite friendly. People in businesses are always happy to chat and you'll strike up conversations with people everywhere when you're out and about. Its nothing like the Bay Area or SoCal in that regard - much friendlier. And yes, home prices are some of the lowest in North State. A $350,000 house in Chico would go for about $250,000 here.

We definitely have four seasons, but the Sacramento Valley towns are still pretty mild relatively speaking. Maybe a few weeks of frosty mornings, but it almost always gets close to 60 during the day if its not raining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California