Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:33 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Marysville.
and part of yuba college is in Marysville lol we go to some of the student recitals.

Re the question of the name, it is often referred to as North State. Ads will offer the best price in the "North State"

As for seasons, Paradise is mostly pines which stay green but there also quite a few trees with turning colors. Spring was spectacular with all the blooms. I would say yes, to 4 seasons, but maybe not as pronounced as in other areas like the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 07:38 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,128,580 times
Who here knows about Plumas County? What towns are there, and what are they like? The other day I viewed some online images of Plumas County, and it looks just spectacular, especially with the fall colors!

Old 10-17-2017, 08:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Okay, so recently I just started to become more fascinated with NorCal (past San Francisco, of course) (by researching and viewing online images).

So... What can YOU tell me about the following NorCal counties: Del Norte, Humboldt, Mendocino, Siskiyou, Modoc, Lassen, Plumas, Shasta, Tehama, Trinity, Lake, Glenn, Butte, Colusa, Yuba, Sierra, and Nevada? Anything? Any cities or towns in any of these aforementioned NorCal counties that are of any interest? Any sort of info on this is absolutely welcomed!
Wow, too many questions - my head is about to explode. So, I'm just going to address a little of this one paragraph on counties I know. I've never lived farther south than San Jose, but have lived in many counties from San Jose north to the OR border.

Del Norte - I just moved from Crescent City a few months ago. Cheap place to live. Isolated. There's crime, but it never touched me. Homeless problem, but no worse than anywhere else I've lived. Beautiful. Isolated. Weather cloudy and really dang windy and wet a lot of the time. And I mean 65 mph winds with sideways rain. Great place to walk your dog off-leash at the beach without anyone giving you a hard time. Great to walk in the giant redwoods, but you will be given a hard time if you take your dog there, unless you know where to go and are really sneaky. But, since the big Gasquet fire, there are too many mountain lions close to town, so bad idea taking the dog into the woods now anyway. As pretty as it is, I would never move back. Too isolated for me. Weather is too severe most of the year. Town is way too small. Lots of religion here. Oh, and lots of people missing front teeth. Not kidding. Votes major Republican.

Humboldt - Never lived there, but went a few times for medical appointments or shopping. I can't stand it there. The towns of Arcata and Eureka have really gone to ruin since I first saw them back in the 1970's. Many people don't take care of their homes. They look all moldy and ratty. The pot culture is front and center. White people who need showers and wearing dreadlocks and tie-die - just creepiness in their own world. And the homeless problem is horrific. Not interested in ever going back. And I used to be a hippy, way back in the 1970's, but these guys are stuck in a cloud of pot time-warp. Just not for me. And unless you're into that, it's not cheap enough. And it's really isolated, which is why it's stayed in it's cloudy time-warp. And the drug trade - as far as growers in the woods, etc., is a huge problem environmentally, too. Scary. Just my take. I know some surrounding towns are okay, but the center of everything is Eureka, so you really can't avoid it. Oh, and lots of hippy types walking pit bulls - everywhere. I would not walk around with my 20 pound dog there. Votes Liberal/Democrat majority.

Shasta - It's beautiful. But WAAAAYYYYYYY too hot. And even if you think you like hot weather, you will be shocked by the heat in Redding. Mainly because it does not cool down at night. Other than that, the homeless problem is bad downtown. But, outside of downtown, not really an issue. I was there in 2014 for a year before Crescent City. Lots of good entertainment and shopping, right on I-5, so easy access to get in and out of town from wherever. Lots of outdoor recreation, if you can stand the heat from May to Oct. Winters are great there - sunny and maybe a dusting of snow at most. If it hadn't been so hot, I probably would have stayed there. Lots of places to take your dog off-leash. The town of Anderson is smaller than Redding, about 20 minutes away, and is pretty nice. Affordable. A little redneck. This county votes Republican majority.

You'd asked about Mt. Shasta (city) - really small. I don't like really small towns, so it was not ever going to be for me. The people I met who lived there were really nice - pot smokers. Lots of pot in Shasta County. Shasta County has a lot of pot growers, too, like Humboldt County.

Tehama - I only know Red Bluff which is just south of Anderson. It's about 30 minutes south of Redding, but in Tehama County. There is a rodeo there. Kind of redneck. Attractive old cowboy type downtown. I liked it there. Animal shelter there where I rescued my dog. Didn't notice a homeless problem, but I'd only been there to shop a few times at an antiques mall, and to rescue my dog. I liked Red Bluff. Votes Republican majority.

Lake - it's pretty, but there's something depressing about it. It's also kind of isolated. I looked at buying property there over the years, thinking that Santa Rosa might eventually grow up to Clear Lake, but that doesn't seem likely to ever happen. It's kind of hillbilly? Of all of the places mentioned so far, Clearlake made me the most nervous as far as criminal types everywhere. Really rundown. There are some developments that were hopeful, but it just doesn't seem to - work. Can't think of the right words. Like people keep hoping it will get built up and gentrified, but it's still mostly run down rotting trailers, interspersed with hopeful nicer homes. The end result is just - kind of pitiful and creepy.

Don't really know any other areas on your list.

If it was me, and I could only choose to live in one of the above - I'd choose Redding. And do my best to be gone most of the summer. It just has the best resources and amenities, including good healthcare. And it's affordable. The town is really community-oriented to, with really great family friendly events like the Asphalt Cowboy pancake breakfast, where they feed about 10,000 residents at tables lining the streets downtown during the rodeo. Just lots of great clubs and events, theaters and a coliseum with name acts, etc.. So, it would be my choice of the above options.

Here are some Google images of the Redding Asphalt Cowboy pancake breakfast:

https://www.google.com/search?q=asph...w=1440&bih=753

Looking at those pics reminds me that the farther north you go, the less diverse it is - in other words, whiter. I'm white, but from the Bay Area and it was just weird to me to hardly ever hear another language. You don't think about it at first, but after you've been there awhile, you'll hear someone speak another language and you'll realize it hardly ever happens. I am happier back here in the SF Bay Area. I grew up here, so diversity is more normal for me. As well as having more Democrats around me LOL.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 10-17-2017 at 09:07 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Wow, too many questions - my head is about to explode. So, I'm just going to address a little of this one paragraph on counties I know. I've never lived farther south than San Jose, but have lived in many counties from San Jose north to the OR border.

Del Norte - I just moved from Crescent City a few months ago. Cheap place to live. Isolated. There's crime, but it never touched me. Homeless problem, but no worse than anywhere else I've lived. Beautiful. Isolated. Weather cloudy and really dang windy and wet a lot of the time. And I mean 65 mph winds with sideways rain. Great place to walk your dog off-leash at the beach without anyone giving you a hard time. Great to walk in the giant redwoods, but you will be given a hard time if you take your dog there, unless you know where to go and are really sneaky. But, since the big Gasquet fire, there are too many mountain lions close to town, so bad idea taking the dog into the woods now anyway. As pretty as it is, I would never move back. Too isolated for me. Weather is too severe most of the year. Town is way too small. Lots of religion here. Votes major Republican.

Humboldt - Never lived there, but went a few times for medical appointments or shopping. I can't stand it there. The towns of Arcata and Eureka have really gone to ruin since I first saw them back in the 1970's. Many people don't take care of their homes. They look all moldy and ratty. The pot culture is front and center. White people who need showers and wearing dreadlocks and tie-die - just creepiness in their own world. And the homeless problem is horrific. Not interested in ever going back. And I used to be a hippy, way back in the 1970's, but these guys are stuck in a cloud of pot time-warp. Just not for me. And unless you're into that, it's not cheap enough. And it's really isolated, which is why it's stayed in it's cloudy time-warp. And the drug trade - as far as growers in the woods, etc., is a huge problem environmentally, too. Scary. Just my take. I know some surrounding towns are okay, but the center of everything is Eureka, so you really can't avoid it. Oh, and lots of hippy types walking pit bulls - everywhere. I would not walk around with my 20 pound dog there. Votes Liberal/Democrat majority.

Shasta - It's beautiful. But WAAAAYYYYYYY too hot. And even if you think you like hot weather, you will be shocked by the heat in Redding. Mainly because it does not cool down at night. Other than that, the homeless problem is bad downtown. But, outside of downtown, not really an issue. I was there in 2014 for a year before Crescent City. Lots of good entertainment and shopping, right on I-5, so easy access to get in and out of town from wherever. Lots of outdoor recreation, if you can stand the heat from May to Oct. Winters are great there - sunny and maybe a dusting of snow at most. If it hadn't been so hot, I probably would have stayed there. Lots of places to take your dog off-leash. The town of Anderson is smaller than Redding, about 20 minutes away, and is pretty nice. Affordable. A little redneck. This county votes Republican majority.

You'd asked about Mt. Shasta (city) - really small. I don't like really small towns, so it was not ever going to be for me. The people I met who lived there were really nice - pot smokers. Lots of pot in Shasta County. Shasta County has a lot of pot growers, too, like Humboldt County.

Tehama - I only know Red Bluff which is just south of Anderson. It's about 30 minutes south of Redding, but in Tehama County. There is a rodeo there. Kind of redneck. Attractive old cowboy type downtown. I liked it there. Animal shelter there where I rescued my dog. Didn't notice a homeless problem, but I'd only been there to shop a few times at an antiques mall, and to rescue my dog. I liked Red Bluff. Votes Republican majority.

Lake - it's pretty, but there's something depressing about it. It's also kind of isolated. I looked at buying property there over the years, thinking that Santa Rosa might eventually grow up to Clear Lake, but that doesn't seem likely to ever happen. It's kind of hillbilly? Of all of the places mentioned so far, Clearlake made me the most nervous as far as criminal types everywhere. Really rundown. There are some developments that were hopeful, but it just doesn't seem to - work. Can't think of the right words. Like people keep hoping it will get built up and gentrified, but it's still mostly run down rotting trailers, interspersed with hopeful nicer homes. The end result is just - kind of pitiful and creepy.

Don't really know any other areas on your list.

If it was me, and I could only choose to live in one of the above - I'd choose Redding. And do my best to be gone most of the summer. It just has the best resources and amenities, including good healthcare. And it's affordable. The town is really community-oriented to, with really great family friendly events like the Asphalt Cowboy pancake breakfast, where they feed about 10,000 residents at tables lining the streets downtown during the rodeo. Just lots of great clubs and events, theaters and a coliseum with name acts, etc.. So, it would be my choice of the above options.

Here are some Google images of the Redding Asphalt Cowboy pancake breakfast:

https://www.google.com/search?q=asph...w=1440&bih=753

Looking at those pics reminds me that the farther north you go, the less diverse it is - in other words, whiter. I'm white, but from the Bay Area and it was just weird to me to hardly ever hear another language. You don't think about it at first, but after you've been there awhile, you'll hear someone speak another language and you'll realize it hardly ever happens. I am happier back here in the SF Bay Area. I grew up here, so diversity is more normal for me. As well as having more Democrats around me LOL.
Excellent and informative post, NoMoreSnowForMe!

Old 10-17-2017, 09:35 PM

Who here can tell me about Modoc County? Alturas, Adin, Cedarville, Newell, Canby, California Pines, Davis Creek, Likely, Lookout, Daphnedale Park, etc.?

THE cheapest county in California ever. For me, this one interests me a bit more.

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 10-17-2017 at 10:03 PM..

Old 10-18-2017, 08:01 AM

38 posts, read 63,914 times
Snow is right about much of Shasta Co, except Redding's homeless population since she's been here has exploded to other areas of town. It's not unusual to see homeless camps far from downtown, and groups of homeless on Lake Blvd, East Cypress, Hilltop and Dana. All major streets far from downtown as law enforcement is cracking down more on the downtown area due to pressure from downtown businesses. Basically, you can't go anywhere in Redding now without seeing homeless, many of them dealing and doing heroin in broad daylight!

Old 10-18-2017, 08:57 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Who here can tell me about Modoc County? Alturas, Adin, Cedarville, Newell, Canby, California Pines, Davis Creek, Likely, Lookout, Daphnedale Park, etc.?

THE cheapest county in California ever. For me, this one interests me a bit more.
There is nothing there. You can flick Alturas off the table like it's a crumb.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:54 AM

What about Susanville (Lassen County) and its two state prisons? Aren't they the main employers of the city and Lassen County?

Old 10-18-2017, 12:09 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Susanville is not much of a town, we spent a night there & I did not care for it. Lake Almanor is a beautiful man made lake, nearby, & that is the best thing about it, along with Lassen Park. These counties are cheap, because there is not much in the way of employment.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Susanville is not much of a town, we spent a night there & I did not care for it. Lake Almanor is a beautiful man made lake, nearby, & that is the best thing about it, along with Lassen Park. These counties are cheap, because there is not much in the way of employment.
Do you think that the cheapest California counties (Lassen, Modoc, Siskiyou, etc.) would be difficult locations for one to start a family or retire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California