Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 02:42 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
I don't think Californians would dare to go on a TX forum and bash them because they will be met with hostility.

CA does have some state pride with the "sixth largest economy in the world" cliche. But then they start calling people outside CA inbred hillbillies that live in backward flyover territory, thinks people who move out of CA are failures while claiming everyone else is successful and thinks the rest of the country is too hot or too cold.
People in California don't go in to the Texas forum to complain mostly because they don't care about whatever affairs occur in Texas because it doesn't affect them. There have been plenty of people accusing Californians of hostility when rebuttals are made to some of the junk posted here. I had one some time back call me 'smug' and in 'denial' when I clarified the situation regarding the budget deficit. There was no smugness or denial on my part. He stated California has the largest deficit in terms of dollars and I told him quite a number of states are in much worse condition when you stack up their deficits against their respective GDPs.

If someone does't want to live in a part of the country with hot/humid or frigid winters, well, that is their right. I don't want to live in many parts of the country because I don't want to deal with not only the hot humid summers, but the length of the hot season. My outdoors activities involve a lot of trips to mountainous places on the West Coast. Those activities are simply not available in many parts of the country, so I'm not going to live there.

It just isn't Californians who don't care for 'flyover country.' People in OR, WA, and the mid-Atlantic/New England aren't too crazy about the people in flyover country either, and the people in flyover country have nobody to blame but themselves. That part of the country has the lowest tertiary educational attainment (with the exception of IL and CO), yet they insist they know global warming is a scam. They are convinced they know more than scientists working for NASA, NOAA, and other organizations which do atmospheric research. There is no way to rationally discuss the topic with them because they "just know" they are right and everybody else is working on some global conspiracy so politicians can tax them more. They promote their own nonsensical conspiracy theories such as Jade Helm. They want to pass legislation which will allow them to impose their religious beliefs on others. They make up their own interpretations of the Constitution so it suits them. They insist their taxes are bailing out California even though the state they reside in is dependent upon Federal subsidies above and beyond what taxpayers in their state contributes in Federal income tax. They blame Obama for their the loss of their jobs while thinking of Reagan as a saint even though the industry they were working in started to set sail for the Orient in the early 1980s. And don't count on them getting anything resembling an education anytime in the foreseeable future because they 'just know' they are smarter than the people on both coasts who do have some level of higher education.

Again, you just can't rationalize with people like that. Of course, not everyone living there is that stubborn and ignorant. However, there are a disproportionate number of them living in flyover country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 06:43 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
People in California don't go in to the Texas forum to complain mostly because they don't care about whatever affairs occur in Texas because it doesn't affect them. There have been plenty of people accusing Californians of hostility when rebuttals are made to some of the junk posted here. I had one some time back call me 'smug' and in 'denial' when I clarified the situation regarding the budget deficit.
True! Can't rep you again.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:46 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
People in California don't go in to the Texas forum to complain mostly because they don't care about whatever affairs occur in Texas because it doesn't affect them. There have been plenty of people accusing Californians of hostility when rebuttals are made to some of the junk posted here. I had one some time back call me 'smug' and in 'denial' when I clarified the situation regarding the budget deficit. There was no smugness or denial on my part. He stated California has the largest deficit in terms of dollars and I told him quite a number of states are in much worse condition when you stack up their deficits against their respective GDPs.

If someone does't want to live in a part of the country with hot/humid or frigid winters, well, that is their right. I don't want to live in many parts of the country because I don't want to deal with not only the hot humid summers, but the length of the hot season. My outdoors activities involve a lot of trips to mountainous places on the West Coast. Those activities are simply not available in many parts of the country, so I'm not going to live there.

It just isn't Californians who don't care for 'flyover country.' People in OR, WA, and the mid-Atlantic/New England aren't too crazy about the people in flyover country either, and the people in flyover country have nobody to blame but themselves. That part of the country has the lowest tertiary educational attainment (with the exception of IL and CO), yet they insist they know global warming is a scam. They are convinced they know more than scientists working for NASA, NOAA, and other organizations which do atmospheric research. There is no way to rationally discuss the topic with them because they "just know" they are right and everybody else is working on some global conspiracy so politicians can tax them more. They promote their own nonsensical conspiracy theories such as Jade Helm. They want to pass legislation which will allow them to impose their religious beliefs on others. They make up their own interpretations of the Constitution so it suits them. They insist their taxes are bailing out California even though the state they reside in is dependent upon Federal subsidies above and beyond what taxpayers in their state contributes in Federal income tax. They blame Obama for their the loss of their jobs while thinking of Reagan as a saint even though the industry they were working in started to set sail for the Orient in the early 1980s. And don't count on them getting anything resembling an education anytime in the foreseeable future because they 'just know' they are smarter than the people on both coasts who do have some level of higher education.

Again, you just can't rationalize with people like that. Of course, not everyone living there is that stubborn and ignorant. However, there are a disproportionate number of them living in flyover country.
This. In case you're still confused about how Trump managed to win the election.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:16 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,176,622 times
Quote:

You are a Ca snob just admit it and the king of generalizing. Everybody in Ca is smart, everybody in fly over states are stupid. Tell that to Warren Buffet

Old 10-23-2017, 10:22 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,983,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why are people living here? Why are people paying premium prices for housing in the coastal urban areas? (Not the price case in the area where I live)

I see a lot of people saying California sucks. If that were the case, people would be leaving the state in droves (what is a drove BTWj and talent and money would be going to Texas. Then housing prices would drop. Yet here we are, the sixth largest economy in the world with coastal urban housing prices that are a bargain compared to Paris, London, Berlin, Hong Kong and Singapore. Now why is that? I mean a hot area to live, yet cheaper than other great international spots.

Could it be that CA is actually a great place to live? Sorry haters.
Here, something you should look at.

If it wasn't for foreign immigration (legal and illegal), California would be losing lots of people every year.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:53 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post

If it wasn't for foreign immigration (legal and illegal), California would be losing lots of people every year.
I post that thought all the time and ...... they just can't admit it.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:01 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
How about you use your own words? Anybody can post a link, which supposedly makes some point, where most people reading the site won't read.

So, use your own words and express your own arguments - if you are able.
And when people express things in their own words, someone asks for links as proof.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I do not see what is smug about liking where you live, imo, life is too short to live where you do not like..
It's not about liking where you live. It's about posters (not necessarily you) who are hyper defensive and completely closed to any kind of criticism about the state.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:11 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I post that thought all the time and ...... they just can't admit it.

Wow! A 100 more residents leave the state than move here from other states

That’s positively underwhelming!

Last edited by Mr5150; 10-23-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-23-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I constantly see posts stating Ca is the best , only the most successful make it here, everybody else lives in a loser fly over state. If you can't make it here move to Tenn etc. One poster bragged about paying high rent here because he was successful. I also read ad nauseum that Ca has the best weather every other state is feezing, rainy, scorching hot, humid, dry,
Yes, I agree on this part. People who don't notice these posts must be blind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Face it Californians are elitist and look down their nose at every single other state. It's more then state pride it's snobbery
California probably has more snobs than elsewhere...but you're over generalizing.

And call me a snob, but can you please learn the distinction between "then" and "than"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California