Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 10:29 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
I understand longing for the good old days but those days are gone. You can't compare CA now to the CA of old... it's not helpful. The world is very different. You need to compare CA now to other areas that you could potentially move to and then decide whether to stay!

Nostalgia is a powerful feeling. It is good to have happy memories but longing for the past is not healthy.
I get this and time marches on, but keep in mind that for some California was a better place at one time. If California was better, why would you want to settle for anything less than what was the best version of what it could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 10:54 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Kids these days, am I right?! (Pssst: lower divorce rates, lower violent crime rates, lower abortion rates, lower drug use rates than Baby Boomers).

Maybe we care about money because we need to pay back 6 figure student loans and save $200K for a downpayment and the privilege to pay 5X the property taxes of our 70 year old neighbor. Oh and to help pay for the generous pension formulas that Baby Boomers voted in for themselves. Oh and all of the deferred infrastructure maintenance that has built up over these past few decades.

Hmmm, maybe the older people shouldn't have left us young people such a mess? I bet California was real nice before y'all allowed rampant suburban development and environmental destruction to occur.
You are right that us older people did not leave this country in the best shape it could be in for you. We also made a huge mistake in not preparing young people like you for the world.
We spoiled you and gave you too much and now you have some entitlement issues.
We didn't teach you economics very well because if you were dumb enough to go six figures in debt for an education that doesn't pay well, that's on us for allowing you to be that foolish.
We shouldn't have taught you that everyone is a winner and there are no losers in life because we didn't want to have anyone have hurt feelings.
Parents shouldn't be giving your generation money to buy nice cars, go on exotic spring break vacations, go out to eat in nice restaurants, pay for really nice clothes because now you expect that that is how life is going to be for you except now reality is telling you no it won't be that way because you need to get a job and work your way up to that income that allows you to have those things on your own.
We are also sorry that we created some nice suburban areas for you to enjoy growing up in.
Most of all we are sorry that we have raised you to not have the ability to grow up and make the world better rather than just point a finger on someone else for your situation. In the old days some people just sucked it up and worked hard to get ahead and didn't expect people to just give them everything likewise we have raised you to be.
Sorry.

There... see how generalizations can work?
I know millennials get picked on, but I know they all aren't like that. Your generalizations of older people however do reinforce why some people think of millennials as lazy, entitled, woe is me.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:05 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Kids these days, am I right?! (Pssst: lower divorce rates, lower violent crime rates, lower abortion rates, lower drug use rates than Baby Boomers).

Maybe we care about money because we need to pay back 6 figure student loans and save $200K
Heh -- I have a couple of relatives who live in senior "assisted living" housing. Every time I go there and see the residents (average age about 75) and the staff (average age about 38) I think: This is how wealth moves from one generation to the next. Millennials will get theirs too!

Old 10-26-2017, 11:09 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Heh -- I have a couple of relatives who live in senior "assisted living" housing. Every time I go there and see the residents (average age about 75) and the staff (average age about 38) I think: This is how wealth moves from one generation to the next. Millennials will get theirs too!
Yes There will come a day when they are old and the younger generation will be blaming them for their troubles, too.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:25 AM

74 posts, read 129,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Yes There will come a day when they are old and the younger generation will be blaming them for their troubles, too.
What did baby boomers have to blame on their parents other than the Vietnam War? Then when looking at the Vietnam War only 3 million went there. Baby boomers didn't have a massive deficit, difficulties buying homes, simple jobs that require a bachelors degree, out of control college tuition cost, out of control permits for house remodels, mandatory insurance for everything you want to do, etc... Back in the 1970s a waitress could buy a nice home and raise a family. Today a waitress might be lucky to rent a room. That's a nice excuse you created with your comment but I'm not going to overlook what's happened. Baby boomers aren't escaping taking responsibility for what's happened because of their actions.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:40 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
What did baby boomers have to blame on their parents other than the Vietnam War? Then when looking at the Vietnam War only 3 million went there. Baby boomers didn't have a massive deficit, difficulties buying homes, simple jobs that require a bachelors degree, out of control college tuition cost, out of control permits for house remodels, mandatory insurance for everything you want to do, etc... Back in the 1970s a waitress could buy a nice home and raise a family. Today a waitress might be lucky to rent a room. That's a nice excuse you created with your comment but I'm not going to overlook what's happened. Baby boomers aren't escaping taking responsibility for what's happened because of their actions.
Did we really blame our parents for the Vietnam War? I didn't realize that. I didn't and no one I knew did, either. I think it's just an issue that some people cling to. When their own life doesn't work out the way they think it should, they blame someone else. Who better than the generation before them?

I do think aslowdodge was right in his comment. I think a great number of people didn't prepare their children for the real world. I don't think they did it intentionally, though. I believe they did it because they felt giving their children everything they wanted was a way of showing love. I dunno. Maybe it was. Maybe not.

I know that this blaming thing is getting old, though. It's not like any of us had control over the rising tuition costs, real estate prices or anything else that today's generation struggles with in their own life. We were all subjected to rising costs in the economy. If I had the power to change it, I would.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:56 AM

661 posts, read 690,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You are right that us older people did not leave this country in the best shape it could be in for you. We also made a huge mistake in not preparing young people like you for the world.
We didn't teach you economics very well because if you were dumb enough to go six figures in debt for an education that doesn't pay well, that's on us for allowing you to be that foolish.
We shouldn't have taught you that everyone is a winner and there are no losers in life because we didn't want to have anyone have hurt feelings.
Yes, to continue the generalizations, your generation did a real crap job raising my generation. I know people with 6 figure jobs and graduate degrees (undergrad economics / MBA) who are paying back 6 figure student loan debt. Not basket weaving aslowdodge. Their baby boomer parents simply didn't put aside money for their college expenses and didn't care to help stop the rising tuition costs because it wasn't their problem.

It wasn't the 8 year old millennials asking for soccer participation medals, it was the baby boomers who couldn't stand the thought of their precious child not being recognized.

And now we feel entitled to what? A full time job with health benefits, a semi-affordable house, and the ability to participate in the skilled jobs economy without having to pay an exorbitant entrance fee through formal education. Real greedy we are. But hey, maybe when we get old we'll have Social Security, Medicare, limited property tax rates (if we can afford a house and if your generation hasn't pulled the ladder up by then). Or is that too much entitlement?

Quote:
Parents shouldn't be giving your generation money to buy nice cars, go on exotic spring break vacations, go out to eat in nice restaurants, pay for really nice clothes because now you expect that that is how life is going to be for you except now reality is telling you no it won't be that way because you need to get a job and work your way up to that income that allows you to have those things on your own.
We are also sorry that we created some nice suburban areas for you to enjoy growing up in.
Also, wtf is this? Certainly doesn't represent the life I and the vast majority of my peers led. Maybe in your Pleasanton bubble that's how things were. Those nice suburban communities have enormous infrastructure maintenance costs that were ignored when the developers built them and will come due just in time for your generation to not pay. Thanks.

Last edited by TheFlats; 10-26-2017 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 12:18 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Foreign investors, low interest rates and domestic house flippers are driving home prices and the economy is based on stupid smartphones apps and hollywood degeneracy. Not a good long term prognosis. Add in a corrupt state gov't, a horrendous education system (looking at you OP) and you get a ticking time bomb.

How much of California's current prosperity is due to phone apps and the like? If a lot, that's not good.

Is CA much more corrupt than other states? More corrupt than IL?

Old 10-26-2017, 12:35 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Most of all we are sorry that we have raised you to not have the ability to grow up and make the world better rather than just point a finger on someone else for your situation. In the old days some people just sucked it up and worked hard to get ahead and didn't expect people to just give them everything likewise we have raised you to be.
Sorry.

There... see how generalizations can work?
I know millennials get picked on, but I know they all aren't like that. Your generalizations of older people however do reinforce why some people think of millennials as lazy, entitled, woe is me.
You are sooooo right.

Not all Millennials but wayyyy too many. They want to blame someone for their inability to get what they want and think they deserve.

Lets see, I grew up poor, clothes came from the Goodwill, graduated from HS and had to go to work to help support my mom and I (Dad dead) and no College. Oh, I did not ever have a job that gave benefits (Except for short stint with the Gov't), no cushy retirement plan and Social Security was a big drag for going on 54 years (note; still paying into it) and if I had wanted to go to college, even night school, I would have to pay for it.

Those that complain about their student debt, high cost of living, etc., need to learn how to take care of themselves not expect it to be given to them and with benefits. My first job paid $1.25 an hour. Wow that would easily allow me to buy a house even then. Well no it wouldn't have.

Lets see, the average US price of a home was $20,000 then. So at $1.25 an hour I would make $2600.00 a year and 30% for a monthly payment would be $65.00. OK that was the rent for the 1 bdrm Duplex my mother and I lived in and I slept on the couch in the living room. This was in So OC. Now a 30 year loan would require 10% down and about 40% of my monthly income before taxes then. Aside from the down payment it is close to what is happening today. I made no complaints, as I could not afford a home due to no way to save more than a few dollars. How have I been able to buy 5 homes? Hard work. No real help from anyone and. I am a Boomer. My friends from the same time and area did not complain either. Many are retired with a good pension, some with an OK pension, some with no pension but saved very carefully and some only on SS and ... a few are millionaires. It is up to each person to make it or not.

If you want to live in SoCal make money and if you can't make enough, move to where you can afford it. No one owes you anything nor does anyone have a right to live in CA.

Now I know some Millennials who own homes and live in SoCal and did not get help from family. They .... worked hard and intelligently.

Oh and fun and nice restaurants and partying and nice cars were not an issue, they worked and did what they needed to and saved and ... well they did it right.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why are people living here? Why are people paying premium prices for housing in the coastal urban areas? (Not the price case in the area where I live)

I see a lot of people saying California sucks. If that were the case, people would be leaving the state in droves (what is a drove BTWj and talent and money would be going to Texas. Then housing prices would drop. Yet here we are, the sixth largest economy in the world with coastal urban housing prices that are a bargain compared to Paris, London, Berlin, Hong Kong and Singapore. Now why is that? I mean a hot area to live, yet cheaper than other great international spots.

Could it be that CA is actually a great place to live? Sorry haters.
I had very clear reasons. I lived in the IE, otherwise known and the dull grey place for the smog. It was making me sick. I was having problems with being short of breath. Moved away to clear mosly unpolluted air and bingo, all that went away. How much does your health cost?

So you say I'll just move to the desert or the sea. Can you afford even a dinky little place, probably renting? Cost of living is very high in the desirable parts of California. So you canclelled any place with bad air off the list and now any place which is really expensive. Problem is you crossed off the whole list.

I was living in an apartment which was supposed to be rennoed into condos. Then the main building was too close to the others so it had to go. And they had a looooonnnnngggg list of things which had to be repaired before it could be considered. So they did nothing and mostly the tweekers had moved in. I loaded up and left nine years ago. This WAS considered low cost housing.

All these great places to go don't matter if you don't have the money to get there. Nor does it matter if the air is so bad you are sick half the year. Hot I can take, and its also hot here in OK in the summer, but the sky isn't grey and yucky.

Texas is a growing hot spot for talent, and all the states this way are trying to compete.

As for prices for homes in the 'best' areas being less than the most pricy places in the world, it doesn't matter unless you were planning to move to one of them. But if you were planning to move, and you get hot and smoggy, and it costs more than other areas, how long do you thing the 'lure' of California and the image made in the fifties and sixties and maybe lasting into the 70's is going to matter when you pay more and get compromised living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California