Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 01:41 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
The whole point of the thread was that the government gas tax increase goes into effect on November 1st. That’s why the OP asked if anyone was going to get gas on October 31st, to avoid the increase. Market conditions have nothing to do with it.
Please not another poster who argues just for sake of arguing. I am against the tax increase and posted than on the first post of here:

Quote:
Past high gas prices were market dictated. That has nothing do with democrats stealing from motorists in CA soon. That's like saying we should accept the latest mass murderer in the US because he is not as bad as Hitler
I was responding to the point made by some posters that because high prices were high in 2008, gas price will still be low even with the tax increase -- as if we should just bend over and take it. Please read first before responding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 01:50 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Please not another poster who argues just for sake of arguing. I am against the tax increase and posted than on the first post of here:

I was responding to the point made by some posters that because high prices were high in 2008, gas price will still be low even with the tax increase -- as if we should just bend over and take it. Please read first before responding.
Maybe you should read posts before taking the thread off on a tangent. Focus.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
The high gas prices in 2008 affected the whole country. The high prices were due to the high cost of crude, not the government.
The high gas prices would not be as high in CA if it weren't for the State Gov't and their higher fees, etc.
Yes gas costs, Fed Tax included, but in CA it is higher for 2 reasons; 1. higher State gas tax, 2, higher cost for the special CA blend.

Why do I pay right now about 2.19 a gallon and in LA you pay;

lowest $2.59 Costco

Why $.50 more? It isn't the price of crude at all.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:15 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The high gas prices would not be as high in CA if it weren't for the State Gov't and their higher fees, etc.
Yes gas costs, Fed Tax included, but in CA it is higher for 2 reasons; 1. higher State gas tax, 2, higher cost for the special CA blend.

Why do I pay right now about 2.19 a gallon and in LA you pay;

lowest $2.59 Costco

Why $.50 more? It isn't the price of crude at all.
I can't be sure but I think it's that "special blend" we have to use in CA. Wish those stinky old vans and buses would use something that smelled better. I try to pass around those as quickly as possible. Ewww.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:15 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
In the future, gasoline will be mostly a thing of the past, especially here in California. That’s a good thing. I remember paying nearly $5.20 a gallon in the Bay Area during 2007-8.

The complaining and whining over taxes that may help offset this or that is mundane and pointless. My mom paid over 800$ for our first microwave oven back in 1986. Our VCR was a whopping 500$ around 1985. Making an out of state or international phone call was limited to a few minutes over the cost.

Alternate and cheaper sources of energy will be the norm, but people will still muster up the complaining over having to pay “so much” when they are actually paying less for everything.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:17 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,960 times
According to the Sac Bee article linked earlier in the thread price for gasoline goes up $0.12 a gallon next month. For my cars that is another $1.50 to $2.00 to fill up. Will I try to fill up before the end of the month? Probably so, I definitely would look for a gas station with a $0.12 price difference.

Although I'm not thrilled with spending a couple of extra bucks every time I fill up I fully support the gas tax increase. The infrastructure in this state is in need of repairs and upgrading and this is a set in the right direction.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:25 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
According to the Sac Bee article linked earlier in the thread price for gasoline goes up $0.12 a gallon next month. For my cars that is another $1.50 to $2.00 to fill up. Will I try to fill up before the end of the month? Probably so, I definitely would look for a gas station with a $0.12 price difference.

Although I'm not thrilled with spending a couple of extra bucks every time I fill up I fully support the gas tax increase. The infrastructure in this state is in need of repairs and upgrading and this is a set in the right direction.
I would agree with you if the politicians didn’t steal the money from the existing gas taxes meant for maintenance. This tax is completely unnecessary and just a money grab.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:03 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post

Your aware that not one penny is going to infrastructure.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:40 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Your aware that not one penny is going to infrastructure.
See where the money goes: Rebuilding CA - Senate Bill 1 - Overview

Rebuilding CA - Senate Bill 1

Old 10-23-2017, 09:31 AM

689 posts, read 2,581,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I checked out that link. First three items are nearly 4 billion for highways, bridges and roads. That's infrastructure. Maybe some posters don't understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California