Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 01:31 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Oh, that now makes sense. So, the old Kernville was flooded, and then the "new" Kernville was established?
Exactly.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:36 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,130,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
Going to go ahead and guess the Cal City, North Edwards, Boron stretch.
Not sure if I’ve ever heard anything good about them.
Yeah, I'm not sure if I have ever heard or read anything good about these communities (including Mojave) either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yes, China Lake is a military base.

Yes, the N-word, the bean word, and the word that rhymes with Bic, very common. It is very unlike the CV in this regard, primarily because there is comparably no history of agriculture, manufacturing, services, tourism, etc. Imagine every bad stereotype about rural Middle America (most of which are untrue, overall), and imagine a place that actually tries to be like that when it doesn't have to.

KRAJ reaches Ridgecrest, but it doesn't go much further north than that. For most of the time I lived there, it was an Oldies station, but it flipped formats c. 2007. Rap isn't any less popular there than anywhere else IMO, just don't expect to hear it in the bars (classic rock and/or country).
And the Coachella Valley comparably is heavily Hispanic/Latino majority, AND has history of agriculture, manufacturing, services, etc..

Old 10-31-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Driving around is absolutely gorgeous. There is a place on Rte 14 called Cantil. They have an ATV rental place.
Are there even any people living in Cantil?

Because according to Wikipedia, there seems to be two schools located in Cantil, Red Rock Elementary School and Red Rock Community Day School. Both of these schools are continual in that they serve students who didn't succeed in the regular school system.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:31 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoHillsNative View Post
Brandon, instead of making multiple threads on here asking small towns, why don’t you actually go out and explore them on your own? Don’t get me wrong, it’s awesome reading your post and learning from the responces with you, but it’d be much more rewarding to see the towns for yourself to get the full experience.

That’s what she said.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:33 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Must be a lot of good paying union, and tech jobs.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Who here can tell me about the Kern River Valley and the towns (Bodfish, Kernville, Onyx, Lake Isabella, Weldon, Wofford Heights, Riverkern, Canebrake, Mountain Mesa, Squirrel Mountain Valley, and Southlake)? What are each of the towns like? Is the Kern River Valley a desert or steppe?
I believe it is a chapparal. I once drove from Lake Isabella to Bakersfield. The road is treacherous. No street lights, winding, right on the edge of a cliff. The river is down below. One mistake, and your dead.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Are there even any people living in Cantil?

Because according to Wikipedia, there seems to be two schools located in Cantil, Red Rock Elementary School and Red Rock Community Day School. Both of these schools are continual in that they serve students who didn't succeed in the regular school system.
I only saw a trailer park there. I tried to rent some atvs but the store closed for day. There was a family playing out in the trailer park.

I was also bored one day in the hotel so I went for a pleasure cruise. I went from Tehachapi to California City. But it was at night so I did not get to see much. I went into a Walgreens for a spell.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoHillsNative View Post
Brandon, instead of making multiple threads on here asking small towns, why don’t you actually go out and explore them on your own? Don’t get me wrong, it’s awesome reading your post and learning from the responces with you, but it’d be much more rewarding to see the towns for yourself to get the full experience.

Lake China is a military base like David said. My brother was stationed there and told me it was pretty but got lonely fast since its far from civilization.
Do all personnel have to live on base or can they live off? The town of Ridgecrest is kind of nice. And honestly, as someone coming from the NE, it isnt that far from LA metro. It is a straight shot down the highway. Do the troops or sailors get weekends off? They can take weekend trips to LA.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:57 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Do all personnel have to live on base or can they live off? The town of Ridgecrest is kind of nice. And honestly, as someone coming from the NE, it isnt that far from LA metro. It is a straight shot down the highway. Do the troops or sailors get weekends off? They can take weekend trips to LA.
They can live off base. I have a friend who lives in Onyx and works at China Lake. There's a group of them and they carpool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California