Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 04:35 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Doubtful. California's changed a lot since 13. The people of the state nowadays never met a tax increase they don't like and the public unions are securely in control.

I do think 13 will be gone not long after Brown's gone but I don't think it'll be done the right way, i.e. cutting other taxes, or even putting a value cap on how much someone could benefit from 13.(I'd be fine with 13 only applying to properties under $400K, but I have a feeling it'll be all or nothing)
You think Democrat Politicians in CA would entertain off setting tax cuts to balance Prop 13's loss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 05:15 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Doubtful. California's changed a lot since 13. The people of the state nowadays never met a tax increase they don't like and the public unions are securely in control.

I do think 13 will be gone not long after Brown's gone but I don't think it'll be done the right way, i.e. cutting other taxes, or even putting a value cap on how much someone could benefit from 13.(I'd be fine with 13 only applying to properties under $400K, but I have a feeling it'll be all or nothing)
All Sacramento had to do was index the Home Owner Exemption but even this was too much to ask.

$7500 was very meaningful when a modest home could be bought for 12k

Old 11-13-2017, 06:30 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:

Yep CA is more interested in money than people.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:08 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
You think Democrat Politicians in CA would entertain off setting tax cuts to balance Prop 13's loss?
Of course not.

Hence my comment about it not being done the right way.

The public sector unions have the state by the balls. Whatever they dictate is what goes in Sac these days. To the detriment of the state.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:32 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Of course not.

Hence my comment about it not being done the right way.

The public sector unions have the state by the balls. Whatever they dictate is what goes in Sac these days. To the detriment of the state.
Yup.

Run away train to insolvency.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:04 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Doubtful. California's changed a lot since 13. The people of the state nowadays never met a tax increase they don't like ...
Of course, because the federal government subsidizes the state tax increase.

Think of it this way: an extra dollar of state spending only costs the California taxpayer a bit over 60 cents because of the federal deductibility of state income taxes.

When this loophole is closed, an extra dollar of state spending will cost the California taxpayer one dollar. Presumably the State, faced with a large price increase for incremental services, will not raise expenditures as fast as they otherwise would.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:12 PM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Of course, because the federal government subsidizes the state tax increase.

Think of it this way: an extra dollar of state spending only costs the California taxpayer a bit over 60 cents because of the federal deductibility of state income taxes.

When this loophole is closed, an extra dollar of state spending will cost the California taxpayer one dollar. Presumably the State, faced with a large price increase for incremental services, will not raise expenditures as fast as they otherwise would.
Plus, Brown has kicked the can all through his gig, someone else's (OURS) problem now.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:42 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,800,591 times
I think most of the real estate folks are making something out of nothing...

So under 500K the change with deduction doesn't matter. But the average home sale here is what 600-700K- I would assume these folks are putting something down, which should again gets you close to 500K and the deduction applies to everything.

Then you have to consider- If you are fishing in the 1M + home- why does a mortgage interest deduction matter- Is it truly enough to change your spending habit?

Old 11-20-2017, 08:00 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,445,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
This, the SALT deduction cap, and the increase of the 33% bracket to 35% will hit California and New York taxpayers harder than most other states. A little payback for the coastal elites I guess.
It's this exactly.

Let's call this tax bill what it is: an attempt by conservatives to stick it to blue states and benefit red states as payback for sanctuary cities, supporting Obamacare, not supporting Trump, etc.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:23 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Has anyone heard Browns position on this? Seems like he's laying low, as usual,. He's probably hoping it doesn't benefit Californians so he can rub it in Trumps face
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California