Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 10:18 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,644 times

Advertisements

I almost went to UC Santa Cruz, but ended up going out of state. Lots of employees at my work went there (biotech industry) and theyre cool and competent employees.

As far as Im aware it's a great school for math, physics, comp sci, some engineering, and pre-med. Its liberal arts fields are supposedly hyper liberal I hear.

The biggest problem I hear is renting in the area is hard. The school hasnt built enough dorms, and many students are living off campus in garages for $1500 a month.

Definitely do freshman year at a community college if you plan on attending *any* state school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 11:00 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
I haven't lived in Monterey since 2008. How is CSUMB progressing? Would that even be something your kids would consider? Certainly would make things easier and cheaper if they could live at home.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:46 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I haven't lived in Monterey since 2008. How is CSUMB progressing? Would that even be something your kids would consider? Certainly would make things easier and cheaper if they could live at home.
Yes, that's the obvious least expensive option for us and we'll consider it for each of our children.

While CSUMB has been improving in the number of areas over the years, its not necessary the best school for every student in terms of things like major, opportunities for internships, goals and overall fit.

Derek

Old 11-24-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
I almost went to UC Santa Cruz, but ended up going out of state. Lots of employees at my work went there (biotech industry) and theyre cool and competent employees.

As far as Im aware it's a great school for math, physics, comp sci, some engineering, and pre-med. Its liberal arts fields are supposedly hyper liberal I hear.

The biggest problem I hear is renting in the area is hard. The school hasnt built enough dorms, and many students are living off campus in garages for $1500 a month.

Definitely do freshman year at a community college if you plan on attending *any* state school.
That sounds pretty crazy in terms of housing costs. We do have friends in the area who may know of some better options. There are folks in the area who may be willing to rent out a room to the 'right' student vs. random strangers, for example.

Derek

Old 11-29-2017, 11:59 AM

14 posts, read 11,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
That sounds pretty crazy in terms of housing costs. We do have friends in the area who may know of some better options. There are folks in the area who may be willing to rent out a room to the 'right' student vs. random strangers, for example.

Derek

As a Santa Cruz resident, I will concur with the poster who said students are renting garages for $1500/month. There was an article in the Sentinel recently about students renting the corner of a living room, and we have had 3 friends from out of town offer us $1200-$1500/month for their UCSC student kids to live with us. Housing (costs, availability, and conditions) are a nightmare and do not seem likely to improve. Of course, there's a big contingent who blame UCSC itself for these issues, but that's another topic. If you have friends who would house your student(s), you are ahead of the game.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonstar View Post
As a Santa Cruz resident, I will concur with the poster who said students are renting garages for $1500/month. There was an article in the Sentinel recently about students renting the corner of a living room, and we have had 3 friends from out of town offer us $1200-$1500/month for their UCSC student kids to live with us. Housing (costs, availability, and conditions) are a nightmare and do not seem likely to improve. Of course, there's a big contingent who blame UCSC itself for these issues, but that's another topic. If you have friends who would house your student(s), you are ahead of the game.
Lemonstar,

Those are crazy prices which I'm sure some property owners are really capitalizing on.

Do you have any insights into the school itself or is it mostly as a resident?

Derek

Old 11-30-2017, 12:07 PM

14 posts, read 11,430 times
Quote:
Lemonstar,

Those are crazy prices which I'm sure some property owners are really capitalizing on.

Do you have any insights into the school itself or is it mostly as a resident?

Derek
My out-of-area friends' kids who go there report that they are very happy, and there are more who are actively applying for next school year. One is transferring to UCSC from college in Boston to be in a more natural setting. However, I don't have any specifics about what they like.

My own kids want to relocate out of the area for college, so I have not really spent much time researching UCSC. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2018, 07:59 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Last year, Santa Cruz enrolled about three freshmen for every transfer student. Of the campuses under state scrutiny, only Riverside did worse, with about four freshman per transfer.

UC Santa Cruz has offerings far beyond hippies and banana slugs. So why can't it draw more transfer students? - LA Times

Old 01-03-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Last year, Santa Cruz enrolled about three freshmen for every transfer student. Of the campuses under state scrutiny, only Riverside did worse, with about four freshman per transfer.

UC Santa Cruz has offerings far beyond hippies and banana slugs. So why can't it draw more transfer students? - LA Times
This is actually great news for those planning to transfer:

"UC Santa Cruz recently launched a million-dollar effort to reach out to community college students around the state in an effort to change minds and boost its transfer numbers."

Old 01-03-2018, 10:20 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
This is actually great news for those planning to transfer:

"UC Santa Cruz recently launched a million-dollar effort to reach out to community college students around the state in an effort to change minds and boost its transfer numbers."
How's your and your student's decision process coming along?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California