Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:53 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times

Advertisements

Gas Tax? Who noticed? When gas is over $3 a gallon and fluctuates as much as it does, who notices a 12 cent increase in the gas tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
I can't speak to the schools as I don't have kids, but it's not true that just because you pay more, you get better services. I just moved to Florida and people here said the same thing. It's just not true. You pay more, you actually get less in California, because they waste the money.

Smart move on not living in LA. Regarding Portland homeless and trains, same thing here. You have an out of control homeless population in places like LA and San Diego, and Jerry Brown's crazy train (some of this gas tax money will go to that too, because it's underfunded)

Again I can't speak to schools whatsoever. Where you living? The area of the state definitely does make a difference... a little.
Says in my profile where I live. I moved here to raise my family here. I see that it costs more here, but that's how it works with a higher COL area. I also get paid more here. If I was in a different situation I would have never moved to SoCal...but since I could afford to buy a home then yes it absolutely is the best place for us. 77 in December works for me.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:27 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Says in my profile where I live. I moved here to raise my family here. I see that it costs more here, but that's how it works with a higher COL area. I also get paid more here. If I was in a different situation I would have never moved to SoCal...but since I could afford to buy a home then yes it absolutely is the best place for us. 77 in December works for me.

No one moves to California to "raise their family". You can't raise your family in California because you can't afford it. Now if someone is an illegal or very wealthy, then California is right for you. I love hearing those say that " of the gas tax is spent on what it is used for " then they support it. That's the problem, these crooked politicians always divert these revenue streams for their little pet projects. I remember about 5-6 years ago the governor increased the income tax rate on the wealthy and according to the Governor, this tax increase " would finally solve California's debt crisis". Here we are in 2017 and still California has a budget deficit. When do you libs ever learn ?

Old 12-07-2017, 12:39 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Gas Tax? Who noticed? When gas is over $3 a gallon and fluctuates as much as it does, who notices a 12 cent increase in the gas tax.
Are you a public employee or retired one sucking on the teat of others? The more taxes the better for those people.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:47 PM

153 posts, read 200,626 times
Seems that lots of Californians want the gas tax, or at least are neutral towards it.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:00 PM

661 posts, read 690,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
No one moves to California to "raise their family". You can't raise your family in California because you can't afford it. Now if someone is an illegal or very wealthy, then California is right for you. I love hearing those say that " of the gas tax is spent on what it is used for " then they support it. That's the problem, these crooked politicians always divert these revenue streams for their little pet projects. I remember about 5-6 years ago the governor increased the income tax rate on the wealthy and according to the Governor, this tax increase " would finally solve California's debt crisis". Here we are in 2017 and still California has a budget deficit. When do you libs ever learn ?
What on earth are you talking about? For one, California is in it's strongest budgetary position in decades and is currently running a surplus with a multi billion dollar rainy day fund.

CA Budget

And as far as people not raising families here, that's just ridiculous. Although I guess you qualified it with only the very rich and the very poor ("illegals" - forum right winger's favorite scapegoat).

Stop resorting to silly talking points and hyperbolic finger pointing. It doesn't accomplish anything and makes your mind lazy because you don't have to do any real analysis or offer workable solutions.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:35 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Hell no I don’t want the gas tax! Prior to this gas tax increase, CA already was in the top 5 in the nation with one of the highest gas tax rate, and yet our infrastructure has gotten worse. I never notice any benefits when local cities or the state raises taxes on anything.

Just like how increasing the sales tax is SUPPOSED to go towards hiring more cops and firefighters, including fixing roads that need work. Well in my city i haven’t seen jack **** being done to make things better.

All this extra money is going to pay for fat pensions of the CA public employees, nothing more. CA with being one of the wealthiest states in the nation, has one of the worst upkept streets and freeways in the nation. How is this allowed to happen? Obviously higher taxes isn’t working since personally I haven’t witnessed the positives of higher taxes when it comes to our infrastructure.

Also, the higher gas tax and higher vehicle registration fees hits the poor the hardest. The Democrats in this case has turned a blind eye on the very people that supported them.

CA keeps trying to find new ways to raise more and more taxes on our already heavily taxed citizens that it’s almost diabolic sadly to say as the intentions of politicians is to fatten their pockets and it’s donors.

I believe the diesel tax went up 20 cents, this is a punishment on the transportation industry, as it has an ill effect on prices on goods and services. Another negative aspect of the tax.

Not letting the people vote on this matter was also extremely wrong. But state leaders know that this gas tax wouldn’t have had a chance of passing if they allowed Californians to vote on it so they bypassed us and took upon themselves, which is corrupt and devious on so many levels. Something like this should have been put to a statewide vote especially knowing the negative consequences it will have the economy and the poor.

Higher taxes is somewhat a sneaky way of telling people “if you don’t like it, then leave”! CA is seriously overpopulated and needs less people living here, all I know is I’m soon going to be a former CA resident as I’m sick n tired of this states policy’s and how insanely expensive it’s becoming. This new gas tax and increase in registration fees was the last straw for me. My concern is “what’s next?” What does the state have up its sleeve to deceive us? I don’t want to be here to find out.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:42 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

Just like how increasing the sales tax is SUPPOSED to go towards hiring more cops and firefighters, including fixing roads that need work. Well in my city i haven’t seen jack **** being done to make things better.

All this extra money is going to pay for fat pensions of the CA public employees, nothing more. CA with being one of the wealthiest states in the nation, has one of the worst upkept streets and freeways in the nation. How is this allowed to happen? Obviously higher taxes isn’t working since personally I haven’t witnessed the positives of higher taxes when it comes to our infrastructure.

Cops and firefighters are public employees who cost taxpayers the most. So not hiring more of them actually saves a lot of money. Or maybe not because they often work overtime which cost even more money. But you are right.
Whatever names CA taxes are hidden under -- save the kids; save the schools, save the roads, save the environment -- the main beneficiary are public employee unions.

https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/oakland/

https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/san-jose/

Last edited by davidt1; 12-07-2017 at 07:55 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 PM

626 posts, read 625,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
What on earth are you talking about? For one, California is in it's strongest budgetary position in decades and is currently running a surplus with a multi billion dollar rainy day fund.

CA Budget

And as far as people not raising families here, that's just ridiculous. Although I guess you qualified it with only the very rich and the very poor ("illegals" - forum right winger's favorite scapegoat).

Stop resorting to silly talking points and hyperbolic finger pointing. It doesn't accomplish anything and makes your mind lazy because you don't have to do any real analysis or offer workable solutions.
What are you talking abut? California may be in a good budgetary stance right now due to the upturn of the silicon valley area but once it starts to dip alittle then the state will have serious problems again. The state has done NOTHING to try and constrain itself fiscally at all. They have just increased the taxes with a hope and a prayer is trying make everything right.

You may want to trash talk us going after how this state treats the illegals compared to it's lawful residents or citizens but it's all true. Try and convince me that it's not true will you.... This state spends over $20 Billion a year on illegals and it receives about $2 billion from various taxes they pay. So this state can help itself by lowering the COL and it's expenditures by kicking out all the Illegals.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:37 AM

3,067 posts, read 1,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Higher taxes is somewhat a sneaky way of telling people “if you don’t like it, then leave”! CA is seriously overpopulated and needs less people living here, all I know is I’m soon going to be a former CA resident as I’m sick n tired of this states policy’s and how insanely expensive it’s becoming. This new gas tax and increase in registration fees was the last straw for me. My concern is “what’s next?” What does the state have up its sleeve to deceive us? I don’t want to be here to find out.
They crazy thing is, as nutty as Jerry Brown is, he's actually more rational and fiscally conservative than some other dems. He is at least suggesting that they keep some of that money for a rainy day fund, instead of spending it all at once. God help you if they elect Gavin Newsom next...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California