U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 10:17 PM

3,185 posts, read 1,719,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
We have some friends that live about 5 miles outside of Redding at about 1500 feet near Whiskeytown. Awesome views and they are more concerned about bears getting into their garbage cans than homeless tweekers. Like someone posted, the homeless hang out in certain zones (not to say that can't go anywhere) but if you get a little bit out of town, you pretty much have no problem.
Weren't you the person from Minnesota that posted about whether to move to Redding or Chico and moved to Redding despite many posters dissing Redding? If so, has Redding been about what you expected, worse, or better, happy with your decision?

When I look at Redding's crime statistics, they're a little high and higher than a small city should be but not off the scale high as many people seem to think. I hope it's getting better rather than worsening.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 03:50 AM

293 posts, read 422,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I would guess Sacramento is somewhat more moderate than Redding in the summer due to the marine influence being stronger there than Redding, plus the coastal range blocking the marine air from reaching Redding.

San Francisco to Sacramento: 88 miles

Eureka to Redding: 147 miles, plus coastal range

(mileage is highway miles, so there are some variables)

^This. Sacto is much more moderate in temps for exactly that reason.

Living in Redding is not for the faint-of-heart. It's tough. And I'm not addressing the crime issues--I'm talking physical comforts. I lived in Redding for almost 10 years. But I've been out of the area for over 10 years, so I can't talk to the current crime(s) that are taking place in the area.

But for weather, I can give some insight. DH and I used to have an inside joke--instead of spring, summer, autumn, and winter, we'd jokingly say "Wind, Hot, Wind Again, Rain." Yes, Redding doesn't have a lot of humidity, which may sound ideal to someone moving from a more humid climate. But nobody tells you about the north wind. The north wind was the main instigator for the Jones Fire of 1999 and the Bear Fire of 2004. (OK the idiots that started those fires were the main instigators, but the winds spread those fires for miles).

If you're not used to what feels like a blow dryer blowing on your body for days, you're not ready to live in Redding.

If you can't handle days of rain without seeing the sun during winter, you're not ready to live in Redding.*

If you can't handle days of 110+ degree tempuratures, you're not ready to live in Redding.

*(Again, this was my experience years ago. Climate change may have changed this. I remember the valley tule fog we had for days on end in the winter. Now I understand that the tule fog doesn't really exist anymore. Any locals to chime in on this?)

Old 04-07-2018, 06:40 PM

5,587 posts, read 2,035,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Weren't you the person from Minnesota that posted about whether to move to Redding or Chico and moved to Redding despite many posters dissing Redding? If so, has Redding been about what you expected, worse, or better, happy with your decision?

When I look at Redding's crime statistics, they're a little high and higher than a small city should be but not off the scale high as many people seem to think. I hope it's getting better rather than worsening.
Yes you’re correct. As far as crime goes, most of the violent crime goes on in a small part of the population. There are lots of homeless and there are predators amongst the mentally ill and the junkies. For the average homeowner that manifests itself as vehicle break ins, simple burglary and shoplifting.
So to me, the homeless situation is more a quality of life issue than a safety issue. Local politicians are pretty ineffective in dealing with it.
As far as the weather, yes the heat is the real deal. However to me it’s the intensity of the sun that has surprised me. We aren’t that far south but some days it like being stuck between the devils hammer and he!!s anvil.
So most of what people post is more or less true, but like in all things in life your reaction is under your control and some feel more impacted by it than others.
Redding is also very conservative. Not in a left wing right wing way, but in the literal meaning of the word. Change is looked at with suspicion and so life doesn’t change much.
I go to Chico a couple time a week and talk with folks there and while Chico is a bit more vibrant because of CSU, they also have homeless issues and and the weather is only a couple degrees different.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:54 AM

3,185 posts, read 1,719,715 times
Quote:
Yes you’re correct. As far as crime goes, most of the violent crime goes on in a small part of the population. There are lots of homeless and there are predators amongst the mentally ill and the junkies. For the average homeowner that manifests itself as vehicle break ins, simple burglary and shoplifting.
So to me, the homeless situation is more a quality of life issue than a safety issue. Local politicians are pretty ineffective in dealing with it.
As far as the weather, yes the heat is the real deal. However to me it’s the intensity of the sun that has surprised me. We aren’t that far south but some days it like being stuck between the devils hammer and he!!s anvil.
So most of what people post is more or less true, but like in all things in life your reaction is under your control and some feel more impacted by it than others.
Redding is also very conservative. Not in a left wing right wing way, but in the literal meaning of the word. Change is looked at with suspicion and so life doesn’t change much.
I go to Chico a couple time a week and talk with folks there and while Chico is a bit more vibrant because of CSU, they also have homeless issues and and the weather is only a couple degrees different.

Yeah I don't think anywhere in the Central Valley is much cooler than Redding. Have you lived in another hot climate for comparison such as Phoenix or Tucson? It's not nearly as hot as Phoenix though maybe the sun is more intense. I've lived for years in the Middle East and Texas so I don't think it would be that bad from my perspective.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Yeah I don't think anywhere in the Central Valley is much cooler than Redding. Have you lived in another hot climate for comparison such as Phoenix or Tucson? It's not nearly as hot as Phoenix though maybe the sun is more intense. I've lived for years in the Middle East and Texas so I don't think it would be that bad from my perspective.
I lived in Tucson for a summer when I was a little kid and all I remember is that it was too hot to walk barefoot on the sidewalks.
I imagine that if you’re used to sun in the Middle East and Texas then Redding sunshine would be nothing to you.
Thing is that I think dry heat like Redding is easier to deal with than the humid heat of MN. It’s like being in an indoor pool and so 100 and dry is actually nicer.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:48 PM

3,503 posts, read 3,518,850 times
Quote:
Sooo... how are you adjusting in the reddest part of the bluest state? (aside from the heat?)
My brother lives outside of town near Old Shasta, and I've been going up there jeesh over 40 years. It's grown some, but has always felt rather stagnant. I've been hearing about the corrupt government since I can remember. Plenty of nice people... just no dynamic vibe or industry.
I think the heat and isolation is a big part of that. Open a tech campus or University, and it may be a hard sell.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:47 AM

5,409 posts, read 5,835,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I would guess Sacramento is somewhat more moderate than Redding in the summer due to the marine influence being stronger there than Redding, plus the coastal range blocking the marine air from reaching Redding.

San Francisco to Sacramento: 88 miles

Eureka to Redding: 147 miles, plus coastal range

(mileage is highway miles, so there are some variables)
There several reasons why Sacramento is much Cooler than Redding in the summer:

1. There is a direct path through the Sacramento River DELTA that all the Cool Marine Air flows directly northeast towards Sacramento County. There are no coastal mountains to block the cool moist air through the Delta even though one of the highest peaks of the Coastal Range (Mt. Diablo) sits right next to the Delta. All the cool air, wind and clouds is funneled directly to Sacramento.

2. Sacramento rarely has a dry north wind, nor does it have mountains directly surrounding it for which winds can blow off and down the mountain creating windy bone dry conditions like Redding, Bakersfield, Vegas, and Phoenix.

3. At the hottest time of the day Sacramento humidity is down to 10-20%(dry), but by the evening, night and morning it shoots up to 65%-100% while the temp has dropped 30 degrees. This is consistent and the norm.

4. Sacramento summer night and morning temps are one of the Coolest in the nation for major metros; only the SF Bay Area, Seattle, Portland and Denver are cooler. For example, at Dawn Sacramento is on average 20-30 degrees Cooler than humid Austin and bone dry Phoenix in the summer.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:51 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,196,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

1. There is a direct path through the Sacramento River DELTA that all the Cool Marine Air flows directly northeast towards Sacramento County. There are no coastal mountains to block the cool moist air through the Delta even though one of the highest peaks of the Coastal Range (Mt. Diablo) sits right next to the Delta. All the cool air, wind and clouds is funneled directly to Sacramento.

2. Sacramento rarely has a dry north wind, nor does it have mountains directly surrounding it for which winds can blow off and down the mountain creating windy bone dry conditions like Redding, Bakersfield, Vegas, and Phoenix.

3. At the hottest time of the day Sacramento humidity is down to 10-20%(dry), but by the evening, night and morning it shoots up to 65%-100% while the temp has dropped 30 degrees. This is consistent and the norm.

4. Sacramento summer night and morning temps are one of the Coolest in the nation for major metros; only the SF Bay Area, Seattle, Portland and Denver are cooler. For example, at Dawn Sacramento is on average 20-30 degrees Cooler than humid Austin and bone dry Phoenix in the summer.
All true! By comparison, Redding does not benefit from that nice nighttime cooldown. I'd say it's a solid five to ten degrees hotter day and night, with some very hot temps late into the evenings.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:46 AM

22,938 posts, read 12,184,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

I've studied the climate data and know you're correct but when you run the heat index counting humidity in the heat of the day, Sacramento heat index is about the same as Redding in the summer. The effect that is noticeable in Sacto compared to Redding by the Delta breeze effect is a cooler morning.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Sooo... how are you adjusting in the reddest part of the bluest state? (aside from the heat?)
My brother lives outside of town near Old Shasta, and I've been going up there jeesh over 40 years. It's grown some, but has always felt rather stagnant. I've been hearing about the corrupt government since I can remember. Plenty of nice people... just no dynamic vibe or industry.
I think the heat and isolation is a big part of that. Open a tech campus or University, and it may be a hard sell.
Ha, I put that deal in my sigtag as a joke to all the people who think CA is a total left wing haven. Shasta County would fit right in to Texas quite nicely.

You are right on the mark, stagnant is a good word. Redding is in no way unique in that thinking. Towns of this size, especially those that were tied to extraction, or manufacturing in the past have attitudes that have been formed by an environment of limited fiscal resources. I guess there was talk a few years ago about bringing a CSU campus or program to Redding. It got shut down because people view anything that may take revenue as a threat because it's been so long since anything actually generated new revenue that they don't trust progress or innovation, they just see a threat to the current flow of money.
Again, Redding is not a rare case, it's a common attitude in lots of towns this size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California