U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 05:03 AM

3,185 posts, read 1,718,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
While that may be too hot for some folks, I agree it sounds nice. If Redding just weren't such a small place so far from other places...
I would mostly agree with that but you're still just 2 hours from Sacramento and 3.5 hours to SF....that's not remote compared to most of "fly over country."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 12:48 PM

81 posts, read 58,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The homeless problem is like any city in CA now, and is mainly downtown. Other things that I didn't love about Redding was that there weren't any bus trips to sign up for. I love to sign up for senior bus trips to go see shows or just other recreational things. Normally, I'll sign up for a day trip, but I've also signed up for weekend wine tasting trips, things like that. Redding has nothing like that.

Another thing that was weird for me in Redding, was the subculture that is into growing pot and into the whole State of Jefferson thing. There is also the Bethel church population. Both are kind of near-radical sub-cultures that I find odd. But, they aren't dangerous, and if you can just go with the flow when you encounter them, it's no huge deal. But, it was very different from the SF Bay Area where I grew up, or even living in the mountains of WA.

I'm also used to a lot of diversity, and other than religious groups and pot growers, there isn't much diversity. You also won't find an Asian food market, for instance. I just missed all of the ethnic shops and diversity. I can remember being surprised to ever hear another language spoken in Redding, other than English. Normally, I'd hear other languages on a regular basis. it was just weird to not only be around so many Republicans, but to just only see white people speaking English almost everywhere. At first, that can be kind of nice, where you never feel awkward around someone who can't speak your language, but for me, it was like being on another planet.

I was getting into the kayaking you can do for free or you can give a donation if you want - at Whiskeytown Lake. You can volunteer, and I was looking into becoming a volunteer and would have really enjoyed that. But, I decided the weather was just too severe for half the year there.

Another great thing about Redding are all of the dog clubs. I checked out a couple of them, but they didn't fit my rat terrier - fly ball and diving dogs and sight hound racing (they also have a division for non-sight hounds). I was going to try getting into barn hunting (forget what it's called, but where they look for rats), but we moved away.

There is also a great rodeo, and I love rodeos. And lots of good big name shows come to town.

So, really, if it wasn't for the weather, I might have just stayed there. I could have dealt with the other negatives. But, it made me look again into my options, and I was able to figure out how to get subsidized housing back in the SF Bay Area, so came back to where I grew up and where I'm most comfortable.

But, again, other than the horrible summers, as far as heat, a person could do a lot worse then Redding. I was actually trying to figure out if I could live in Crescent City on the coast during the summer, and live in Redding during the winter, but was able to just come back to the SF Bay Area. But, I think that would be a pretty decent compromise for someone who wanted to stay in CA for the health benefits, and state supplement to people on SSI, etc. Crescent City is cheap and nice and cool in summer, and Redding has lots of sunshine and things to do in winter.

I'm interested in how you would have financed two places to live. Would you have rented in Crescent City and in Redding? Can you afford two homes?

We live an hour south of Crescent City in McKinleyville, ten minutes from Humboldt State University. Though we've lived here for decades, at 71 & 72 years old, we are growing more and more tired of the gray, rainy winters. But as in Crescent City, summers are wonderful with hardly any rain at all and very warm but mild temperatures.

We wonder about leaving in winters to some drier, sunnier place but we'd have to rent our house every winter. Can't afford two places.

What was your situation in these regards.

ps. I was was born in Berkeley and grew up in Lafayette
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California