Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 03:37 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,296,977 times

Advertisements

The weather clears after it rains in Redding. When a front passes the winds will come from a northerly to westerly direction. That is downslope for Redding, so the wind is a bit warmer and drier, which pushes any fog to the south. Being slightly higher than the rest of the Sacramento Valley in combination with cold air drainage at night creates a breeze that brings drier air across Redding at night, which lowers the dewpoint and prevents a nocturnal inversion from setting in over the far north end of the Sacramento Valley. And then there is just being up there to the north further away from the high pressure cell that reinforces the inversion layer that locks in an overcast foggy pattern that is typical for the San Joaquin Valley during the winter months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 04:13 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,912 times
Poorly, poorly written article by the author at Nerdwallet. The key tidbit not explained -

Percent of Possible Sunshine— - Of the total amount of possible sunshine this represents the average annual amount. This measurement is the total time that sunshine reaches the earth expressed as the percent of the possible maximum amount of sunshine from sunrise to sunset (with clear sky conditions.)

https://www.easidemographics.com/mdb...e_sunshine.htm

Basically, this is a measure of how the strong the sun is on a clear day.

NOT how many sunny days you have over the course of the year.

Assuming it isn't a forum violation for calling non-members names, the article author is a retard.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:08 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poibon77 View Post
What does this have to do with how often it's sunny in Redding?
It's only based on 10 years' worth of data, so I think it may be an overestimate. Comparable places in the Valley with similar climates, such as Sacramento, only get about 78%--and Sacramento has fewer rainy days in winter. Redding probably gets fewer fog days because of its slightly higher elevation, so it may, indeed, be sunnier than Sacramento.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:10 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Fresno, and the rest of the Central Valley, can get a lot of Tule fog during winter. I think Redding being at the very far northern end of the valley manages to avoid a lot of it somehow.
It's not because it's at the northern end. It's because of elevation above the valley floor. Cold, damp air is heavier than warm air. So cold, damp air sinks to lower elevations.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:28 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's not because it's at the northern end. It's because of elevation above the valley floor. Cold, damp air is heavier than warm air. So cold, damp air sinks to lower elevations.
It’s evelvation is only 340ft, not exactly an altitude that would make a huge difference alone. According to post #11 it appears its location at the northern end does indeed play a role.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:16 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,615,558 times
Quote:
I read that Redding, California is the 2nd sunniest US city with 88% possible sunshine with Yuma, Arizona being number 1 with 90% possible sunshine. How is this possible?? Redding is much closer to Oregon than Arizona. Even cities that are south of Redding like Fresno are not even close to being that sunny. So my question is: Is Redding, CA really sunny 88 percent of the time?

Also, Redding gets about 33-34 inches of precipitation per year. It would be hard to believe that a place like that would be sunny 88% of daylight hours.
I'm pretty sure any of the cities of the Coachella Valley can beat that. It's sunny right now.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:54 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,163,063 times
Nobody has mentioned latitude. The reason Redding and Sacramento score so high on "total sunshine" lists is due to climate and latitude. These two cities are unusual for having such a dry climate in summer so far north at 40 deg latitude. During the summer there's no marine layer fog, no desert monsoon, no humid thunderstorms. At 40 deg North the sun is out nearly 15 hours a day in June/July, so Redding and Sacto rack up a lot of sunshine hours in those months.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:10 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,129,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I'm pretty sure any of the cities of the Coachella Valley can beat that. It's sunny right now.
You got that right!

Old 03-27-2018, 05:03 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
I read that Redding, California is the 2nd sunniest US city with 88% possible sunshine with Yuma, Arizona being number 1 with 90% possible sunshine. How is this possible?? Redding is much closer to Oregon than Arizona. Even cities that are south of Redding like Fresno are not even close to being that sunny. So my question is: Is Redding, CA really sunny 88 percent of the time?

Also, Redding gets about 33-34 inches of precipitation per year. It would be hard to believe that a place like that would be sunny 88% of daylight hours.
I've wondered the same. How is Redding sunnier than Phoenix and Tucson, doesn't seem to make sense. I've read the posts and I guess it's possible that Redding dumps rain and then clears up and is sunny but it just doesn't seem like a city with this level of rain would be the 2nd sunniest in the nation.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:57 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've wondered the same. How is Redding sunnier than Phoenix and Tucson, doesn't seem to make sense. I've read the posts and I guess it's possible that Redding dumps rain and then clears up and is sunny but it just doesn't seem like a city with this level of rain would be the 2nd sunniest in the nation.
I think it's based on hours of sunshine. As another poster pointed out, Redding doesn't get the monsoon in the summer like Phoenix, Tucson and Las Vegas do; and it has days that are about an hour longer than Phoenix in June
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California