Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 07:58 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Sanctuary state is ridiculous. Intentionally blocking federal law enforcement from communicating with local agencies to protect illegals. No way to justify it.

Acting ICE Director Wants to Arrest Pols in Sanctuary Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 10:46 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,209 times
California law:

As soon as you find a product that you really like and works great, they'll ban it.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:59 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Interesting I always ask why states especially ones like CA make an avalanche of new laws every year. Who benefits from such laws. Obviously some one is profiting from a lawmaking quota. Though the commoners are just overwhelmed. Though it doesn't matter what they think or who they vote for. It just makes more people accidental criminals, are people required to watch the news and interpret them every time a new one comes out? I mean many times not even experts can interpret them.

Alas there has not been much of an effort to clean up the legal system. We are just getting a larger and larger book of vague ambiguous legislation that constantly clog up.

Fortunately 2018 seems one year that is not too bad in terms of meddling laws, which I am surprised as we have covered California which means the government would have to foot the bill for injuries due to people's actions.
-The more meddling legislation of 2018 includes the sharp increase in vehicle registration(Though this is a small amount for those who can afford the costs a vehicle),
-Requring bus passengers to wear seatbelts in newer buses in which seatbelts are required to be installed. I guess it means those under 8 would be required to be belted in booster seats or infant carriers too.

There are some good ones as well.

- Job applications are officially prohibited from having "boxes" on past salary information and conviction information.

Interesting whether these have any "teeth in real life" as while California has already officially banned asking for convictions on job applications for public agencies (i.e municipalities) since 2014 in practice cities such as City of Oceanside still ask extensive and sometimes invasive questions on applications of city job applicants digging into not just real criminal matters but even infractions/violations including locally other than the ambiguous "minor traffic violation" term. And have intimating warnings on the application about failure to disclose. Interesting as if they are already going to do a "background" check and even fingerprinting in the first place why bother asking as anything serious should turn up anyways. I bet it would be even harder to actually enforce these in private firms too.

-The other is that high school exit exams are a thing of the past.
-& free colleges for first time applicants

-that red light crossing tickets cannot be handed out unless the light is bona fed solid red.
-Mail in ballots are no available to everyone.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:36 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Interesting I always ask why states especially ones like CA make an avalanche of new laws every year. Who benefits from such laws. Obviously some one is profiting from a lawmaking quota. Though the commoners are just overwhelmed. Though it doesn't matter what they think or who they vote for. It just makes more people accidental criminals, are people required to watch the news and interpret them every time a new one comes out? I mean many times not even experts can interpret them.

Alas there has not been much of an effort to clean up the legal system. We are just getting a larger and larger book of vague ambiguous legislation that constantly clog up.

Fortunately 2018 seems one year that is not too bad in terms of meddling laws, which I am surprised as we have covered California which means the government would have to foot the bill for injuries due to people's actions.
-The more meddling legislation of 2018 includes the sharp increase in vehicle registration(Though this is a small amount for those who can afford the costs a vehicle),
-Requring bus passengers to wear seatbelts in newer buses in which seatbelts are required to be installed. I guess it means those under 8 would be required to be belted in booster seats or infant carriers too.

There are some good ones as well.

- Job applications are officially prohibited from having "boxes" on past salary information and conviction information.

Interesting whether these have any "teeth in real life" as while California has already officially banned asking for convictions on job applications for public agencies (i.e municipalities) since 2014 in practice cities such as City of Oceanside still ask extensive and sometimes invasive questions on applications of city job applicants digging into not just real criminal matters but even infractions/violations including locally other than the ambiguous "minor traffic violation" term. And have intimating warnings on the application about failure to disclose. Interesting as if they are already going to do a "background" check and even fingerprinting in the first place why bother asking as anything serious should turn up anyways. I bet it would be even harder to actually enforce these in private firms too.

-The other is that high school exit exams are a thing of the past.
-& free colleges for first time applicants

-that red light crossing tickets cannot be handed out unless the light is bona fed solid red.
-Mail in ballots are no available to everyone.
Why is doing away with high school exit exams a good thing?

Old 01-07-2018, 08:46 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I accept that completely. And I'm also open to the fact that not everyone wants to identify as a male or female.

Good luck with your new location. Eventually, wherever you go, they'll pick up on California's laws too. It's just a matter of time.
What the hell difference does it make what people WANT?

They are male whether they like it or not, and female whether they like it or not. You cannot change your sex, you are what you are, no matter if you mutilate yourself and engage in delusional behaviors and dress up like the opposite sex.

Reality does not change just because we don't like it.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post

They are male whether they like it or not, and female whether they like it or not. You cannot change your sex, you are what you are, no matter if you mutilate yourself and engage in delusional behaviors and dress up like the opposite sex.

Some people would rather change reality than have to change what they want.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:11 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post

And you, of course, are the arbiter and definer of reality, eh? And in your universe, a sole physical quality is the only factor despite the complex neurology, behaviors and roles attributed to even binary sexuality.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:11 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Why is doing away with high school exit exams a good thing?
I'm with you. We're now back to where we started when they first implemented the CAHSEE, too many high school graduates who cannot write an essay, have low reading comprehension and/or cannot calculate a basic math problem.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I'm with you. We're now back to where we started when they first implemented the CAHSEE, too many high school graduates who cannot write an essay, have low reading comprehension and/or cannot calculate a basic math problem.
But they have learned what sex they actually are.

Well maybe once the surgery is over.

No new law against such surgery.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:11 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
I am guessing many of new laws would just stay on paper for looks. Many are toothless Tigers anyways, particularly ban the box and salary information just as with many other illegal job application questions in the past. As employers still have broad powers to reject job applications. Also the state of California has officially "banned the box" on all public agencies which includes state, counties, and municipalities since 2014. Yet even today many city government job applications around the state still include the box and warn applicants they must disclose in the box not only serious crimes but almost anything other than a "minor traffic violation," or risk termination if some undisclosed offense came up on their background checks. Interesting why do they even need to ask if they are going to do a mandatory extensive background check anyways. Though if we cannot even get cities and local public agencies around the state to comply with the state's "ban the box" law how would we expect private employers to comply in 2018 when it extends to private employers within the state as well.

Though regarding the exit exam many states has already gotten rid of them. Students these days already work hard on many exams and academic pressure there is no need to burden them with more. At least this law unlike the others would be guaranteed make actual change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California