Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 11:22 AM

154 posts, read 176,805 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first time buying a new car in CA. Obviously, you pay tax to the dealer, but do you pay them the DMV license/registration fees too, or do you have to go yourself to the DMV?

Also, if they give you a temporary permit or cardboard license plate to drive the vehicle, do they charge extra for that? Or do they give you permanent metal CA plates right then and there?

Does CA charge you a title fee for a new car?

Other than that, what other after-sale fees is the dealer allowed to charge, like document fee? Any other fees?

Thanks!

Last edited by mileena202; 01-10-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 11:27 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
When you buy from a car dealer, they will handle the DMV license registration process for you - so you don't have to go to the DMV office.

They won't give you a permanent plate at the dealership - that comes from the DMV.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
When you buy from a car dealer, they will handle the DMV license registration process for you - so you don't have to go to the DMV office.

They won't give you a permanent plate at the dealership - that comes from the DMV.
Awesome!

Does anyone know if I have current CA handicapped plates, will this designation be stamped on my temporary CA license plates?

Old 01-10-2018, 12:30 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,749,752 times
Temporary plates are not issued, the dealership sticks a copy of the temporary registration on the bottom passenger side of the windshield. The permanent plates and registration tags come between 2 and 6 weeks after purchase (depends how busy they are). I can't remember if the title "pink slip" (title) comes with the plates and tags or separately.

The dealership takes care of all fees and taxes. This should be itemized on your long, long purchase agreement.

Make sure you notify your insurance company of the new car. I think there is a 10 day grace period.

Don't know how you're set for insurance, but I have AAA. I like them because they take care of many DMV services (vehicle transfers, annual registrations) at their offices and the lines are much, much shorter.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 01-10-2018 at 12:40 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Very good! Thanks for uploading those images Vic. I know wen I do it, it takes a while.

[BTW, most states do issue cardboard temporary plates. I guess CA is different. No wonder I see so many cars without plates!

But why are there so many cars without metal plates in California?]

Old 01-10-2018, 09:15 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,709 times
I haven't noticed all that many cars with paper plates (I'm in Los Angeles) but some people just don't install their metal plates for months past the required time to so. Some people just don't want to install the front license plate so they drive as long as possible with the dealer paper plate on the back. Some want to try to maintain privacy - the late Steve Jobs always leased a car and turned it in after six months and never installed the metal plates.
I see a lot of cars that have only the rear plate installed because they don't want holes drilled in the front bumper for the plate installation. They would rather take a chance of being cited for not having the front plate installed than drill holes! I didn't want to install the front plate on my new car but I did it to maintain marital bliss - happy wife, happy life!
Just an fyi: when you receive your new plates, look carefully as they may appear to be only one plate. The plates are very thin and more than a few people have been fooled and believe they received only one plate.
Enjoy your new ride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: