Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,369 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Bakersfield in the near future and am curious if there are any areas that have nice views of the foothills or mountains and are also located near good schools. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 12:31 PM

8,365 posts, read 7,563,911 times
Here are some recent discussions from the archives that might be helpful to you, although I'm sure people will chime in with additional thoughts as well:

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ield-kids.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...kersfield.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...kersfield.html

These will give you some overall info on Bakersfield:

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...-weekends.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...sfield-ca.html

Not about Bakersfield, per se, but about nearby communities that are nice places to live:

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...tehachapi.html

Good luck with your move!

Old 01-08-2018, 01:46 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,367,084 times
Up on the bluffs by the college maybe, however the view would include the oilfields which isn't too scenic. I suppose out by Rio Bravo would be the closest match to what you're looking for. Rio Bravo is pretty nice.
Here's a shot from up on the bluffs near the college on Panorama drive.

Here's the area out by Hart Park where there's a few subdivisions.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:47 PM

1,994 posts, read 4,847,339 times
Northeast Bakersfield is more hilly and has a lot of new and old neighborhoods/communities that offer good views of the foothills and mountains,and if you live in that part of town you'll be close to Hart Park,Kern River,Lake Ming and The California Living Museum and also near the entrance into Kern Canyon...Highway 178 East is what you take to reach that part of town where you should find the type of home and scenery your looking for.

What's interesting is Northeast Bakersfield has some communities so close to the foothills that sometimes bears make their way into their neighborhoods and it ends up on the local news and also Panorama Drive is also in the Northeast which offers cool views as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyC_PSU View Post
I may be moving to Bakersfield in the near future and am curious if there are any areas that have nice views of the foothills or mountains and are also located near good schools. Thanks for any help!

Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 AM

9 posts, read 6,378 times
Bakersfield native here.

This is the view you'll get from some of the houses in the Rio Bravo area by Hart Park/Lake Ming. Very nice area, not much crime. Expensive for Bakersfield, but still cheap for California standards. It's a bit out of the city part of Bakersfield, which can be a pro or con depending on what kind of person you are.

Bakersfield has some cons, and a lot of people don't live here by choice, but because it's the only place they can afford. The smog is horrible year-round. The sky is usually brown. Don't be surprised if you get asthma or breathing problems, most people here have it. Valley Fever is also common. The homeless rate is bad in this city. Poverty and lots of crime in the area and not much to do. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2018, 02:39 AM

671 posts, read 442,645 times
My sister lives in Bakes. I was born there. Got out as soon as I could. She wound up stuck. She texted me day before yesterday..said the air warning was the worst it's ever been in her 67 years. DO NOT GO OUTSIDE without a face mask, she said they said. She complains all the time that her eyes burn, her lungs burn, and she is stuck inside the house most of the time during the summer. This is winter, and the smog is as bad as it ever has been. And she lives up on the hill over in Panorama Heights area.

Good luck. It's an ugly, dirty, nasty town and called the armpit of the USA. Google it and see for yourself. WORST city in ALL the usa.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:53 PM

Smog is not just found in Bakersfield,but throughout the U.S as well...Valley Fever is found throughout the Southwest States...Homelessness,Poverty and Crime are found in every city.

Bakersfield is a mid-sized city and has all the necessities and amenities most people need,but of course it isn't L.A,San Francisco or San Diego in terms of Entertainment,but it's not boring like in some remote and isolated part of the Country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StgPepper View Post
Bakersfield native here.

This is the view you'll get from some of the houses in the Rio Bravo area by Hart Park/Lake Ming. Very nice area, not much crime. Expensive for Bakersfield, but still cheap for California standards. It's a bit out of the city part of Bakersfield, which can be a pro or con depending on what kind of person you are.

Bakersfield has some cons, and a lot of people don't live here by choice, but because it's the only place they can afford. The smog is horrible year-round. The sky is usually brown. Don't be surprised if you get asthma or breathing problems, most people here have it. Valley Fever is also common. The homeless rate is bad in this city. Poverty and lots of crime in the area and not much to do. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2018, 03:04 PM

This unusually warm January is what caused the air quality to be bad...Most people i've seen are going outside without a face mask including myself unless we get smoke or dust blowing in.

For those with a sensitive respiratory problem,yes the air quality can affect you,but for most people the air is breathable.

LOL...If you consider Bakersfield as the Worst City in the USA,you need to travel more around the Country or to even other parts of the World....Bakersfield may not be to everyone's liking,but it is far from the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
My sister lives in Bakes. I was born there. Got out as soon as I could. She wound up stuck. She texted me day before yesterday..said the air warning was the worst it's ever been in her 67 years. DO NOT GO OUTSIDE without a face mask, she said they said. She complains all the time that her eyes burn, her lungs burn, and she is stuck inside the house most of the time during the summer. This is winter, and the smog is as bad as it ever has been. And she lives up on the hill over in Panorama Heights area.

Good luck. It's an ugly, dirty, nasty town and called the armpit of the USA. Google it and see for yourself. WORST city in ALL the usa.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 PM

234 posts, read 299,981 times
Another vote for the Rio Bravo Area. Really great houses at affordable prices. Right next to 178, so you’d have quick, easy trips to Lake Isabella or Kernville for weekend trips.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:24 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,367,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post

Are you sure she said the day before yesterday because that would be the 8th and the AQI for that day was rated at 70 = moderate. The ozone count was only 24 = good. It's supposed to be in the good to moderate range for at least the next week, but yeah lots of times it's pretty grody, lol. However Bakersfield is NOT an ugly, dirty, nasty town. That is merely your opinion. Quite a few people are happily living there.

As of 2016, Los Angeles still leads the nation in harmful ozone pollution (smog). Yet millions of people are happy living there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California