Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:27 PM

371 posts, read 1,823,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I mean Paso Bowl and their family fun center, Skate-Mor, JC Paintball, MVP Batting Cages, the expansion of Paso's Wal-Mart to a Super Wal-Mart, and in the Summer The Ravine water park and Mid-State Fair. Their's also the fact that the water park might get laser tag, and in about 15 years Paso could get a regional open-air mall with an arcade and food court, Sears and Gottschalks. And Paso has a skate park and 8 screen theater. Yes, I can agree most of those activities are for teenagers and younger people like myself. That's because North County's population is mainly families and hispanics coming from LA area. For adults, there's a Super Wal-Mart, the fair, the mall's food court, and wineries. San Luis Obispo has The Grad night club, 7 screen theater, drive-in theater, and downtown shopping for college students and adults.
Yes, i agree, while i enjoy living in SLO as a childless, married couple, I could see the attraction in raising a family in Paso. SLO excells in passive recreation, while Paso has more active recreation. As far as culture and nightlife and more "adult" acitivites, SLO is where you want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,614 times
From your occupations you sound like a socially progressive family. I mention this because you should be prepared for SLO County. I'm 50 years old and have lived all over California, and in some respects SLO County is extremely backwards -- and not in a nice, quaint or nostalgic way.

The county is divided into two distinct demographics: students/retirees/transplants from other areas (mainly the L.A. and Bay areas of CA), and natives. And that second group sees itself as a backlash against the first.

The city of SLO is different, because half the population are Cal Poly and other students. But as soon as you step outside the city you might as well be living in Utah or Idaho. In fact in some respects it's worse. E.g. it took my partner and I months of trying to find a place to move to in south county, until we were finally told by a long-time resident that one of the major property management companies here in the county is owned by a raging homophobe and will not rent to gay couples unless he's sued into doing so. This is the only place in California where we've routinely heard the word "fa**ots" used to refer to gay people. Etc. There is a prominent presence of evangelical Christian churches in the area (such as Ted Haggard's "New Life" Church), which probably accounts for much or most of this bigotry and hatred.

If you don't want your kids growing up in this kind of repressive environment, you might want to limit your home search to the city of SLO. Despite what a previous post claims, you can easily find acreage in and adjacent to SLO.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyR View Post
From your occupations you sound like a socially progressive family. I mention this because you should be prepared for SLO County. I'm 50 years old and have lived all over California, and in some respects SLO County is extremely backwards -- and not in a nice, quaint or nostalgic way.

The county is divided into two distinct demographics: students/retirees/transplants from other areas (mainly the L.A. and Bay areas of CA), and natives. And that second group sees itself as a backlash against the first.

The city of SLO is different, because half the population are Cal Poly and other students. But as soon as you step outside the city you might as well be living in Utah or Idaho. In fact in some respects it's worse. E.g. it took my partner and I months of trying to find a place to move to in south county, until we were finally told by a long-time resident that one of the major property management companies here in the county is owned by a raging homophobe and will not rent to gay couples unless he's sued into doing so. This is the only place in California where we've routinely heard the word "fa**ots" used to refer to gay people. Etc. There is a prominent presence of evangelical Christian churches in the area (such as Ted Haggard's "New Life" Church), which probably accounts for much or most of this bigotry and hatred.

If you don't want your kids growing up in this kind of repressive environment, you might want to limit your home search to the city of SLO. Despite what a previous post claims, you can easily find acreage in and adjacent to SLO.
With respect to any experiences you have gone through, I think your broader generalizations about SLO county are grossly exagerated. While this county may be a little more conservative than most coastal counties, the bigotry that goes with under-education and religious fanatacism is largely relegated to the Central Valley.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:34 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Grimstuff,

Not to steer any old debates up or anything. I can understand how you are loyal to the city's expectation of being at 44,000 population in 2025, and that you have worked for the city for 25 years. But Paso was like at the size of Templeton back then, and no one can predict Paso will no longer be a small town back in the days. In the coming election, Paso is going to lose anti-growth Mayor Mecham and a pro-growth councilman.

If the city is able to get 2 pro-growth members to the city council, then perhaps my future of Paso gettting to 57,000 population will be more possible.

Billl Watkins predicted Paso Robles will be the biggest city in the county around 2020. Being, that River Oaks 2 and the second phase for Chandler Ranch is passed. Rivers Oaks 2, is one of many new housing projects to be passed in Paso. And I have heard many times that Paso has more jobs than housing. I can understand the market is heading into a recession, and that it will take 3 years to get the market up again. But Paso Robles will always have a great demand for ppl to move here because of people moving from L.A.

San Miguel has been experiencing large amounts of growth, there are going to have there 2030 population prediction tripled. That is what a county planner told me. Since every housing project there has been passed-100, 200, and now 489 housing units in a project all passed.

Shandon is going to be getting a sewage plant that will allow 4,000-20,000 residents to move to Shandon in the next 30 years.

And Templeton (my town) will be at 15,000 population in 2030.

And Atascadero has Dove Creek and Eagle Creek Ranch that will bring them to their estimated 36,000 population.

The state told the county to have 355,000 population by 2030. And so, I would like to hear your research. And your guesses on what the population of San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Templeton, Atascadero, San Miguel, and Shandon and other cities will be in 2030. You told me you had research proving my estimates wrong, so show it to me.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:11 AM

I still think San Luis Obispo, should have the Dalidio Ranch Marketplace turned into an open-air mall with Macy's and Target. But, instead poor Ernie thinks he can get away with whatever and get the big-box center that will make more money for him.

And I doubt that Atascadero will get a mall, even though their most central in the county. Atascadero has no desire for more shopping centers besides the Super Wal-Mart they just got passed.

As long as Paso has 52,000 population in the city by 2030 and 150,000 population within 25 miles by 2030. we can get a mall, and if we have around 135,000 in 2025 we can get a mall earlier then 2030.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Grimstuff,

Not to steer any old debates up or anything.
... but... you'll do so anyway?

Quote:
I can understand how you are loyal to the city's expectation of being at 44,000 population in 2025, and that you have worked for the city for 25 years.
Wrong, and wrong. I'm not loyal to any one else's expectation, or hope. Why would I be? Also, I don't, and never have, worked directly for the City.

Quote:
But Paso was like at the size of Templeton back then, and no one can predict Paso will no longer be a small town back in the days. In the coming election, Paso is going to lose anti-growth Mayor Mecham and a pro-growth councilman.

If the city is able to get 2 pro-growth members to the city council, then perhaps my future of Paso gettting to 57,000 population will be more possible.

Billl Watkins predicted Paso Robles will be the biggest city in the county around 2020. Being, that River Oaks 2 and the second phase for Chandler Ranch is passed. Rivers Oaks 2, is one of many new housing projects to be passed in Paso. And I have heard many times that Paso has more jobs than housing. I can understand the market is heading into a recession, and that it will take 3 years to get the market up again. But Paso Robles will always have a great demand for ppl to move here because of people moving from L.A.

San Miguel has been experiencing large amounts of growth, there are going to have there 2030 population prediction tripled. That is what a county planner told me. Since every housing project there has been passed-100, 200, and now 489 housing units in a project all passed.

Shandon is going to be getting a sewage plant that will allow 4,000-20,000 residents to move to Shandon in the next 30 years.

And Templeton (my town) will be at 15,000 population in 2030.

And Atascadero has Dove Creek and Eagle Creek Ranch that will bring them to their estimated 36,000 population.

The state told the county to have 355,000 population by 2030. And so, I would like to hear your research. And your guesses on what the population of San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Templeton, Atascadero, San Miguel, and Shandon and other cities will be in 2030. You told me you had research proving my estimates wrong, so show it to me.
No. We spoke about this many times, openly and through PM. I explained to you my reasoning. I will not waste my time entertaining your obsessive topic of discussion.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
... but... you'll do so anyway?

Wrong, and wrong. I'm not loyal to any one else's expectation, or hope. Why would I be? Also, I don't, and never have, worked directly for the City.

No. We spoke about this many times, openly and through PM. I explained to you my reasoning. I will not waste my time entertaining your obsessive topic of discussion.
You told me you had research, and that it says my information is wrong. I'm asking you now, that you show me "your research". Cause if you don't have the research, you must be bluffing.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
You told me you had research, and that it says my information is wrong.
I don't recall saying that. Show me where I did.

But, even if you do, I'm still not arguing with you. You're obsessive about something I really don't care about. Go outside and do something.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:46 AM

Here is your last pm to me, saying you research everyday. Okay, then, show me your research. I bolded the exact sentence where you said it.

"If you think we're just in a "down" in the market you obviously don't read much other than that which supports your preconceived notions and hopes.

Did you hear nothing I said about Paso and development and the housing market? I do research ALL DAY. It's my job. i havent contradicted anything Watkins has said about Paso. The reason why paso will be the largest city in the county is because SLO isnt growing anymore, and no other City comes close to its population except for Paso, which is growing significantly. ALL I SAID was that Paso's growth will be, and is being, set back by the downturn in the housing market. If you want to disagree with that, fine. I don't really give a damn. I do this for a living, and you're trying to school me on it?

Im not arguing, debating, or discussing this with you any further. Its a complete waste of my time."

Old 03-27-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Here is your last pm to me, saying you research everyday. Okay, then, show me your research. I bolded the exact sentence where you said it.

"If you think we're just in a "down" in the market you obviously don't read much other than that which supports your preconceived notions and hopes.

Did you hear nothing I said about Paso and development and the housing market? I do research ALL DAY. It's my job. i havent contradicted anything Watkins has said about Paso. The reason why paso will be the largest city in the county is because SLO isnt growing anymore, and no other City comes close to its population except for Paso, which is growing significantly. ALL I SAID was that Paso's growth will be, and is being, set back by the downturn in the housing market. If you want to disagree with that, fine. I don't really give a damn. I do this for a living, and you're trying to school me on it?

Im not arguing, debating, or discussing this with you any further. Its a complete waste of my time."
I plainly said my own research doesn't contradict that which you've already read. In your previous posts in this very thread, you say it does. You are trying so hard to get me into an argument. And about what?! Dude, I DO NOT CARE. GO AWAY.

And you posting publicly what I sent to you in private is in very poor taste. I've put you on my block/ignore list. I said it before and I'll say it again: You are a complete waste of my time. Go find another obsessive hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California