Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 05:07 PM

136 posts, read 463,537 times

Advertisements

If you guys are blaming Reagan for it then please provide me with the statistic of what percent of the homeless were from these institutions...

Seriously... I know it's not all due to laziness. But moral values, and background.. Many people try to put a mental diagnosis (like alcoholism, depression, OCD) on poor moral values in order to get them government assistance. I just would like to remind them that every action for a SANE HEATLHY human being starts with a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 05:54 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmoney View Post
If you guys are blaming Reagan for it then please provide me with the statistic of what percent of the homeless were from these institutions...

That % is difficult to figure because you have past, present and future. There is no way to tell what current % these instituitions and programs could have or would have today housed if the program was not dis-continued.

I recall specifically discussing it/hearing about it in a High School Course... It would be interesting to read the full details of the cut.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:18 PM

7 posts, read 15,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
High cost of living and high homeless population. If you are homeless why not go to the mecca to meet others like you and get drunk and smoke weed together? Especially in areas where they tolerate that kind of behaviour. That still doesn't stop me from loving San Francisco. Santa Cruz I could care less about, just lazy college kids who want the government to feed them and get rid of the military, so what do they do...let's smoke weed in protest, that will show them.
I can agree that there are people out there with that attitude. Some of them are that way because they exspect someone else to care for them. But what about those who don't. What happens if it happens to you. You find yourself seriously injured can no longer work, and you end up homeless. Are you one of them that don't care or are you one of them that deserve help. Homelessness can happen to anyone. I read a book by a millionaire who hated homeless people and one day he woke up to find he had lost everything. I can't remember the name of the book it was a school assignment. But I do remember the man in the books atitude changed when he found himself in that situation and after a few years he built back up the things he lost with one difference he now helped others. Remember those homeless faces you dislike so much some day could be you.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:31 PM

7 posts, read 15,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmoney View Post
To be homeless in America is still a life with better opportunities than most countries. This is America! The easiest country to become rich. We are wealthy because we are free, and with freedom comes great responsibility.There are two types of responsibility personal and social. Any individual is to become responsible of his/herself and then go provide for the community, give back. In return, he who provides his/her community with needed services will prosper. The individual who fails to give to the community should become poor or in some cases homeless.

Democrats tend to push social responsibility. While Republicans tend to push personal responsibility. The difference is the great divide and pushed separately between the first testament(personal) and new testament(social) of the Bible.

Efficiency is greatly reduced of America when when the lazy take money out of the economic circle and invest in marijuana and valueless acts of self-indulgency. The best way to promote equality is to provide opportunity through laws regardless of sex, income, race, or creed. America has these laws on the books, the remaining responsibility and ambition must be within the people.
This is the problem people want to profile everone into one neat fitting bunch. Sorry it don't work that way. Most homeless people are not lazy, walk a mile in their shoes and you will soon find its a lot easier to work than to recycle. You have to walk a lot of miles and climb in and out of the nosty trash just to make anough to eat. Many of these people spend all day 8, 10 hours doing this just to make 20.00 or 30.00 dollars. Many of them have jobs they just don't make anough to pay rent. As for those who just want to hang out and drink and do drugs if they are caught that way in public they need to be put in jail thats what public intox laws ander under the influence laws are for. If they get arrested anough they will do one of two things straighten up or move on some where else because they'll realize the community they are in won't tolerate people roaming the streets drunk and high. By the way I got a question to ask you (drugs and alchol cost money) If they are not working or out recycling were are they getting the money for drugs and alchol ? Apparently they are not that lazy they have to be doing something to earn the money for their bad habits or addictions. Think about that before you use the term lazy for someone homeless. Remember this also many of the homeless are vets who fought for this country and came back either physically disabled or mentally disabled. I think they alredy earned the right for respect and for people not to refer to them as lazy. They got screwed up for our freedoms and rights what about their right to be respected for what they did for you and I. Don't judge some one you no nothing about it could be your future your looking at.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:33 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,015 times
Reagan was forced to release the mental patients because of lawsuits. The suits basically said that you cannot hold someone against their will if they pose no danger to society or themselves.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 PM

38 posts, read 230,363 times
I always see the fruity pink dude! Think he is a staple in SC.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 AM

961 posts, read 2,566,295 times
Default Proposed rules for downtown Santa Cruz, beachfront up for debate

There is an article in the SC Sentinel today about the homeless problem downtown. http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_11561098 There is a poll and a forum to post comments on. This could get the attention of the city to clean this mess up, but I don't have too much hope that anything is going to fix this. It looks like a lot of people are posting comments if anyone is interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California