Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 10:29 PM

14 posts, read 22,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriemae View Post
I inherited my mother's property. When it is sold, am I able to transfer the Prop. 13 she had on her house, to my property? Her home is valued much higher than the one I own.
Thank you.
Are you in the same county? Are you 55 over, are you the legal owner of your mother house, just you, not siblings? if you answer yes, you can move your prop 13 deduction, one time to the same county or to only certain counties that will accept it. The home must be valued at equal or less than the home where the prop 13 discount is at.

https://www.sccassessor.org/index.ph...proposition-13

check out also prop 60 and 90, about transfer to another home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 07:40 AM

26,777 posts, read 26,907,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I think the issue of fairness is what's really behind Prop 13; some people clearly don't pay their fair share, and others pay far more than their fair share.

Since property taxes are SUPPOSED to be the price we PAY for services, and not a PENALTY for doing something wrong...
The purpose of Prop 13 was never to penalize anyone. Before Prop 13 was enacted, homeowners paid as much as 4% of the home's value in property taxes (average around 3%) with reassessments that could be made frequently, not just when the property was sold.

There was a reason that Prop 13 was called "The Taxpayers' Revolt." People were fed up and angry, and they could not predict what they were in for when they opened their property tax bills.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:40 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,441,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The purpose of Prop 13 was never to penalize anyone. Before Prop 13 was enacted, homeowners paid as much as 4% of the home's value in property taxes (average around 3%) with reassessments that could be made frequently, not just when the property was sold.

There was a reason that Prop 13 was called "The Taxpayers' Revolt." People were fed up and angry, and they could not predict what they were in for when they opened their property tax bills.
Yes Prop 13 protects every home owner. The whiners simply believe changing it would drop their prices to buy. Sure it would, how would they like it when their property taxes went up to 4%?

Some people only think of themselves, not anyone else.

There are several good suggestions for the OP to consider and take advantage of Prop 1,3 within the limits available.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:13 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,476,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doriemae View Post
I inherited my mother's property. When it is sold, am I able to transfer the Prop. 13 she had on her house, to my property? Her home is valued much higher than the one I own.
Thank you.
No, under Prop 13 you cannot move the tax basis from her property over to your property.

However, when you inherit property in California from a parent, you inherit its tax assessment as well.
This is called "Claim for Reassessment Exclusion for Transfer Between Parent and Child" and the form must be filed either within three years of the purchase or transfer of the property, or prior to the subsequent transfer of the property to a third party, whichever is earlier. Further details and a form for San Francisco property taxpayers follow below:

https://www.sfassessor.org/forms-not...rent-and-child BOE-58-AH Claim for Reassessment Exclusion for Transfer Between Parent and Child

For a detailed explanation on exclusions from reappraisal in situations like yours, I like to go to the source, i.e. the California State Board of Equalization's Frequently Asked Questions about "Propositions 58/193 [Transfers Between Parent and Child; Grandparent and Grandchild]"

Exclusions from Reappraisal - Frequently Asked Questions
Exclusions from Reappraisal – Frequently Asked Questions – Board of Equalization

Old 06-21-2018, 10:26 PM

535 posts, read 344,277 times
The OP cannot transfer the property tax that her mom had on to her property.
She can own both properties, but she can keep the low property tax advantage on the inherited house only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: