Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 04:47 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
The Real ID Act was passed by Congress in 2005, ten years before California started issuing driver's licences to illegal aliens in 2015.

Illegal aliens will not be able to get the Real ID in any state, including California; they'll need to show other identification once Real ID is fully implemented in 2020. (This question is clearly answered on the Dept. of Homeland Security's site about Real ID).

I doubt you'll hear any screaming from Californian politicians because California is already issuing driver's licenses that are compliant with Real ID.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/realid

Sorry to disappoint all the California-bashers out there.
Yeah. We just ruined another thread that was destined for greatness in the annals of stomp and wave arms with hair on fire history!

Back to the drawing board for the Trumpettes! Need a new topic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 04:48 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTSullivan View Post
I was recently told by a friend of mines that California will no longer accept our current ID cards for flights? I can't remember the specific too much but he had mentioned something about my license no longer being good to travel in a year or two?

Anyone have any more information on that?
Correction its not California that will not accept them, its department of homeland security as well as federal facilities and airports that would not accept them.

Though I just don't get why the department of homeland security don't just have people use passport cards or develop other forms of ID on their own accord rather than spending so much time and money dealing with state sovereignty issues by trying to federalize state issued documents. It goes against the nature of federal and state sovereignty concept all along.

For immigration its kind of a damned if they do and damned if they don't issue. States in the US are already defacto sanctuary as they have no power or authority to enforce federal laws. Arizona learned the hard way.
Though interesting states like California would want to keep ICE out of their prisons and jails. Like they really like to continue to spend money to continue to incarcerate gangsters who lack papers. Having said that undocumented persons and recent immigrants as a whole are actually less likely to commit serious crimes than those who are second generation or above.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:07 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Correction its not California that will not accept them, its department of homeland security as well as federal facilities and airports that would not accept them.
Again, just to be clear for those who missed my P.S.: you can continue to use your California-issued driver's license for TSA screening until October 1, 2020. (Illegal aliens cannot use their California-issued driver's licenses; they need to show other forms of ID)

Details for California residents can be found on the California DMV site here: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/realid

For those who do not live in California, check your own state's DMV site.

If you want factual information about the Real ID act passed by Congress in 2005, and its implementation, see the DHS Real ID info site here:
https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-25-2018 at 05:36 PM..

Old 01-26-2018, 11:02 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
Here's the list of things you'll need to get a real ID card. You will need one document from each of the three sections. I just renewed my driver's license last week, but I just got the regular one as I was a day too early to apply for the real ID. It took me three weeks to get an appointment at the DMV so I wasn't about to reschedule it. I'll gather up my stuff and apply for the real ID later on.

View the list of document options to apply for a REAL ID card.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:23 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruzer909 View Post
You should be able to use your current ID till 2020. Idk why they're doing it, but I hope it helps weeds out any poeple living under fake identites.
https://www.brandinglosangeles.com/c...nger-accepted/
They had been pushing back the deadline repeatedly ever since a decade ago. Would they ever implement it? Or they are just pushing reluctant states to get onboard and promise to wait for them if they are willing to comply.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:31 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Here's the list of things you'll need to get a real ID card. You will need one document from each of the three sections. I just renewed my driver's license last week, but I just got the regular one as I was a day too early to apply for the real ID. It took me three weeks to get an appointment at the DMV so I wasn't about to reschedule it. I'll gather up my stuff and apply for the real ID later on.

View the list of document options to apply for a REAL ID card.
That's harsh.

I'm going to have to pay for a certified copy of my birth certificate--mine says "info only"--I haven't seen my actual paper Social Security Number card for years, so I'll need to get a copy of that, and probably have to apply for a copy of my marriage certificate. Glad I don't plan to fly anytime soon.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:43 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
That's harsh.

I'm going to have to pay for a certified copy of my birth certificate--mine says "info only"--I haven't seen my actual paper Social Security Number card for years, so I'll need to get a copy of that, and probably have to apply for a copy of my marriage certificate. Glad I don't plan to fly anytime soon.

It says you can use a W2 or 1099 form with your social security number on it for the soc sec requirement.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:10 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
This is why I have a passport.
I have both a passport and a passport card. I might get the new DL after a few months. Because, I rather like how it looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: