Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 06:29 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times

Advertisements

High Desert would be more similar to weather in Las Vegas, hot dry summers. cold/cool dry winters with occasional snow from time to time. And a couple months where monsoon weather can bring storms and humidity. LA Metro area has a lot of influence from the ocean. In spring the June Gloom/May Grey fog/ low clouds moving inland and keeps the air cool as it takes time to burn off. Even in summer with no clouds, it keeps the coastal areas with a weak breeze but more inland areas hot. Occasionally it gets strong and you can feel it cool 10-20 miles inland.

The least windy part of LA is the San Gabriel Valley. I've been watching all year the local news weather reports on Santa Ana winds which blows air from high deserts through canyons and passes to the ocean. The San Gabriel mountains zig zag with several ranges and so the air isn't strong for winds but the places that typically get fire dangers are through Santa Clarita, Malibu, Cajon pass, Anaheim hills, Occasionally there is a strong north wind but then everyone feels it. SGV has overall less windy days.

How it makes me feel living in the Metro area? Metro gets more rain so things are greener half the year but the desert areas are mostly brown/dusty. I like fog/low clouds that form several months. I dont like super hot or super cold. While it happens in the Metro area like with a heatwave or cold air after a winter storm, its only a few days then it goes back to normal. It makes you feel good year round. Not hot and humid and no blizzard or polar vortex you see in the northeast/midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 07:33 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonz View Post
I'm going to add another question about these areas... which parts of southern California are less windy?
The IE near Temecula and Murrieta. Nice ocean breeze comes through the coastal range and cools things down in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California