Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2018, 08:39 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Summers. Yep. Rest of the year split between Morro Bay and San Diego.
Point being that you aren't someone like the OP who is considering uprooting the entire family to move away to another state.

Just saying, I don't think the opinion of someone who vacations in CA part of the year, on a boat, supposedly, is relevant here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 08:44 PM

21,564 posts, read 16,062,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Point being that you aren't someone like the OP who is considering uprooting the entire family to move away to another state.

Just saying, I don't think the opinion of someone who vacations in CA part of the year, on a boat, supposedly, is relevant here.
7 - 8 months of the year (in Califorrnia) is a LOT of vacationing! And it's great, too

And my slips are paid year round ... whether I'm in state or not. Permanent addresses.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:52 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
Derek, while looking at options, be sure and look at everything. I've moved away and am older than you, and moved back. I sold property in CA and wished I hadn't.

I don't know if you own real estate here, but property taxes that get reassessed in other states - because they don't have our Prop 13 - is no joke. You can end up - like people in CA did before Prop 13 - with a property you bought for $100K that ends up reassessed at $1 million. And then you can't afford your property taxes, even if the property is paid off. This is what really was happening in CA pre-Prop 13.

And the weather will in no way shape or form be better.

And will health care be better? Or even equal? Can you depend on the voters in your new state to make sure that state's citizens have good health care and resources?

People complain about costs in CA, but CA leads the pack as far as clean air and health care for all residents, just on and on.

Produce is cheaper here, too. I've lived in other states and you won't believe how much more expensive things are that we take for granted. Forget buying wine, for instance, and veggies will be more expensive. You can often forget about buying seafood, too.

And remember that any place that has any type of decent amenities or resources - pay for those with taxes. So, be sure you look at all of the possible taxes you will be paying. Because you WILL be paying for those amenities and resources. It might not be income tax, but there will be taxes in there somewhere, because nothing is free.

As far as CA, if Monterey is too expensive because you're renting, then there are many other options in CA.

And CA colleges are affordable.

If your kids are saying they want to go to some particular colleges that are really expensive, maybe you need to lay down the law regarding what you are willing to spend. I had to do this with my daughter. I told her what I could afford and was willing to pay for. She decided to take a different path. But, that was her choice. It was not my responsibility to fund her every whim.

Not saying that's what's happening with you and your kids. But, just in case it is, you should take a step back. It's okay to have boundaries with our kids that they don't like. I know lots of parents who paid for colleges their kids wanted, and their kids ended up not liking that college or quitting, etc., and now the parents are stuck with that bill.

At any rate, at some point you have to let your kids go. I did also learn the hard way, that if you follow your kid, they can always just move again. At some point you need to just put down your roots, set your boundaries and wish them well with a prayer.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:54 PM

5,891 posts, read 3,193,687 times
Quote:
7 - 8 months of the year (in Califorrnia) is a LOT of vacationing! And it's great, too

And my slips are paid year round ... whether I'm in state or not. Permanent addresses.
But why would you choose CA as your official domicile and not Washington with no state income tax?
Seems strange to have the opportunity to do that , and not take it. If you're really retired then there is no reason to say your domicile is California when your time spent here allows you to declare it isn't.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
But why would you choose CA as your official domicile and not Washington with no state income tax?
Seems strange to have the opportunity to do that , and not take it. If you're really retired then there is no reason to say your domicile is California when your time spent here allows you to declare it isn't.
I don't pay enough in income tax to California to bother me in the slightest. And, I literally don't mind paying taxes here to support the state that serves me and my interests in return. Taxes aren't fun for anyone. But they are how society functions. Big entities don't run very efficiently. Comes with the territory. I don't get my knickers in a bunch about it. Hell, my life is super at this point. Why would I spend my days angry at realities that don't ruin my life? I've got everything I want and need ... because I find my joys in simple pleasures.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:17 AM

8,174 posts, read 16,562,313 times
Quote:
I don't pay enough in income tax to California to bother me in the slightest. And, I literally don't mind paying taxes here to support the state that serves me and my interests in return. Taxes aren't fun for anyone. But they are how society functions. Big entities don't run very efficiently. Comes with the territory. I don't get my knickers in a bunch about it. Hell, my life is super at this point. Why would I spend my days angry at realities that don't ruin my life? I've got everything I want and need ... because I find my joys in simple pleasures.
Lots of retirees live in CA on limited/fixed incomes for the same reasons. Living here provides them the greatest QOL pure and simple. So what if they don't own their own home here? Some even sell their homes because its too much work. Or some live in a small home they purchased quite a while back.

There's much to be said for a simple life in a place that brings one the greatest sense of daily happiness. No amount of money or possessions (big houses, fancy cars) can buy that - being satisfied with what one has. More stuff/money does not lead to greater happiness. Look at the lottery winners and other unsatisfied wealthy folks.

We had a big home in the cheaper state once already in CO. We lived that supposed dream of what happiness and security is defined as by so many. Honestly, we could live the remainder of lives and be perfectly happy without owning another home. There are better ways to invest ones money for retirement. However, this is something my wife would really like to have at this life stage. To have the freedom to do what she wants with a place, etc... So, its a choice just like before. There's no guarantee it will be a 'good investment' within the current market. Many areas seem overvalued currently, especially in CA! That's one of the reasons I refused to buy here even when we could have. Most homes we looked at were overpriced, run down, money pits. So we made a conscious decision to lease instead in a area we could hear the waves crashing on the beach, watch the sunset over the water, walk down from and put our feet in the sand. All this while not spending every weekend at home depot trying fix up an old beach home. Its been *really* nice. So nice in fact we're still straddling the fence in going anywhere.

While I know living in the PNW will not have everything we have here in terms of weather, it will be an adventure as would be moving somewhere else like the south west. And there is a chance we could return some day especially once the kids move out even if part of the year. Maybe one day she'll even warm up to the idea of living on a boat part of the year.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-04-2018 at 12:39 AM..

Old 02-04-2018, 12:26 AM

9,810 posts, read 11,048,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Lots of retirees live in CA on limited/fixed income for the same reasons. Living here provides them the greatest QOL pure and simple. So what if they don't own their own home here? Some even sell their homes because its too much work. Or some live in a small home they purchased quite a while back.

There's much to be said for a simple life in a place that brings one the greatest sense of daily happiness. No amount of money or possessions (big houses, fancy cars) can buy that - being satisfied with what has. More stuff/money does not lead to greater happiness. Look at the lottery winners and other unsatisfied wealthy folks.

We had a big home in the cheaper state once already in CO. We lived that supposed dream of what happiness and security is defined as by to so many. Honestly, we could live the remainder of lives and be perfectly happy without owning another home. There are better ways to invest ones money for retirement. However, this is something my wife would really like to have at this life stage. To have the freedom to do what she wants with a place, etc... So, its a choice just like before. There's no guarantee it will be a 'good investment' within the current market. Many areas seemed overvalued currently, especially in CA! That's one of the reasons I refused to buy here even when could have. Most homes we looked at were overpriced, run down, money pits. So we made a conscious decision to lease instead in a area we could hear the waves crashing on the beach, watch the sunset over the water, walk down from and put our feet in the sand. All this while not spending every weekend at home depot trying fix up an old beach home. Its been *really* nice. So nice in fact we're still straddling the fence in going anywhere.

While I know living in the PNW will not have everything we have here in terms of weather, it will be an adventure as would be moving somewhere else like the south west. And there is a chance we could return some day especially once the kids move out even if part of the year. Maybe one day she'll even warm up to the idea of living in a boat part of the year.

Derek
Very true at this point.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:56 AM

30,852 posts, read 36,738,377 times
Quote:
I'm not saying all threads about moving are bad at all. I just don't see the point in completely ragging on a place right before leaving if that makes any sense. Though I certainly don't expect all to agree.
I think the ranting is because the people who scream the loudest pretty much feel their voices are unheard and unrepresented in this state--in both the local media as well as state politics.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:15 AM

8,174 posts, read 16,562,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think the ranting is because the people who scream the loudest pretty much feel their voices are unheard and unrepresented in this state--in both the local media as well as state politics.
Yes, I can see that even if not our experience. Its their chance to vent anonymously somewhere, scream their frustrations from the rooftops! They may not realize or even care at that point that they're calling a place many love and enjoy a complete dump, disaster. Its more about a releasing their frustrations, anger etc... Someone compared it to leaving a job they hated. Instead of leaving quietly they decide tell everyone off on their way out. Who cares about burning bridges? Maybe that release makes them feel better.

Derek

Old 02-04-2018, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Lots of retirees live in CA on limited/fixed incomes for the same reasons. Living here provides them the greatest QOL pure and simple. So what if they don't own their own home here? Some even sell their homes because its too much work. Or some live in a small home they purchased quite a while back.

There's much to be said for a simple life in a place that brings one the greatest sense of daily happiness. No amount of money or possessions (big houses, fancy cars) can buy that - being satisfied with what one has. More stuff/money does not lead to greater happiness. Look at the lottery winners and other unsatisfied wealthy folks.

We had a big home in the cheaper state once already in CO. We lived that supposed dream of what happiness and security is defined as by so many. Honestly, we could live the remainder of lives and be perfectly happy without owning another home. There are better ways to invest ones money for retirement. However, this is something my wife would really like to have at this life stage. To have the freedom to do what she wants with a place, etc... So, its a choice just like before. There's no guarantee it will be a 'good investment' within the current market. Many areas seem overvalued currently, especially in CA! That's one of the reasons I refused to buy here even when we could have. Most homes we looked at were overpriced, run down, money pits. So we made a conscious decision to lease instead in a area we could hear the waves crashing on the beach, watch the sunset over the water, walk down from and put our feet in the sand. All this while not spending every weekend at home depot trying fix up an old beach home. Its been *really* nice. So nice in fact we're still straddling the fence in going anywhere.

While I know living in the PNW will not have everything we have here in terms of weather, it will be an adventure as would be moving somewhere else like the south west. And there is a chance we could return some day especially once the kids move out even if part of the year. Maybe one day she'll even warm up to the idea of living on a boat part of the year.

Derek
Roger all that Derek. But probably not the last sentence .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California