Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 02:36 PM

23 posts, read 28,733 times

Advertisements

I was just in Redlands today and visited the Kimberly Crest landmark which was very wow factor. Highly recommend everyone to check it out or at least google it. Anyways I wanted to know where is there more Victorian era homes between those two?

Suburbs in SoCa with many Victorian homes would be: Clarmont, South Pasadena, Riverside, Upland, Redlands, parts of North-East Los Angeles, and Fullerton.

Bay Area: San Francisco, Oakland, Berkley, Santa Rosa, and Vallejo.

Feel free to add more cities or neighborhoods that I might have missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 03:20 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,918 times
Many Victorian homes in Sacramento and also in Woodland.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:25 PM

23 posts, read 28,733 times
I was about to post that I will allow the SAC metro to be included. Thanks for sharing btw

Old 04-17-2018, 03:55 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,409,026 times
Very, very few Victorian homes in San Diego.

The town was fairly small during that period so not that many were built. Later when the city exploded in size, 14-fold (40k to 573k), between 1910 to 1960, the bulk of what there were, were bulldozed.

The City, developers, and housing activists hope to bulldoze the majority of the City's 1920s Bungalow and Spanish style homes as well.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 PM

6,910 posts, read 8,284,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post

The town was fairly small during that period so not that many were built. Later when the city exploded in size, 14-fold (40k to 573k), between 1910 to 1960, the bulk of what there were, were bulldozed.

The City, developers, and housing activists hope to bulldoze the majority of the City's 1920s Bungalow and Spanish style homes as well.
Craftsman style, Spanish style, Victorians, mid-century, Art Deco, Adobe are Californias architectural heritage, don't let them destroy that, once gone, they will forever be gone.

In Sacramento, the City just saved three 1910 Classics and the owner who could have made more money on building larger apartment buildings has committed to preserving the homes and restoring them to their original decor.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
The gold country towns have entire streets and side streets of historic homes. Come visit

Old 04-17-2018, 09:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The gold country towns have entire streets and side streets of historic homes. Come visit
Yes! So beautiful to see them in the hills. The backdrop is stunning. Makes me think of a motorcycle ride I went on once, and we stopped to have breakfast at this great place called Awful Annies, or something like that. Somewhere around Placerville?

San Jose has quite a few, even Santa Clara near the mission/old downtown area.

Alameda in the south Bay Area is famous for it's Victorian homes. Forget the significance, something like the most Victorians per capita or something. Too lazy to Google it. But, they're really pretty and well taken care of.

All of the old towns around the SF Bay will have them. Some have fallen into ruin, which is so sad.

Eureka, CA has quite a few. The weather is hard on them up there, and it's not a wealthy area, so a lot of those seem to be deteriorating, but that's a pretty setting, too, next to the ocean.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:55 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times
Santa Ana.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:33 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,409,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Craftsman style, Spanish style, Victorians, mid-century, Art Deco, Adobe are Californias architectural heritage, don't let them destroy that, once gone, they will forever be gone.

In Sacramento, the City just saved three 1910 Classics and the owner who could have made more money on building larger apartment buildings has committed to preserving the homes and restoring them to their original decor.
From your post to God's ear, but alas, our City leadership are in the midst of a housing panic.

There are currently multiple proposals to upzone our historic neighborhoods and plow them under. Our municipal leadership, paired with the development industry are giddy at the prospect of seeing them torn down. It's appalling to see.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:37 PM

3,475 posts, read 5,268,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post

It's tragic to see old photos of San Diego from that era, because the relatively few Victorians that were there tended to be larger estate size homes rather than dense urban housing like San Francisco. They were beautiful. A nice collection of them has been assembled and preserved at Preservation Park outside of Old Town, and there are a handful of gorgeous mansions scattered about Bankers Hill and Golden Hill.

I also recently noticed some in the city of Orange, although there were far more Arts & Crafts than Victorian. My brother used to live in Redlands years ago, and I remember those well. Beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California