Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:42 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
^^ Exhibit A of the attitude of those old enough to have originally acquired property in California years ago at reasonable prices.
you've got a good point there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 11:22 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Default "Visit California"

I would advise not ietting a radio station in Texas do your thinking for you.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:26 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Why do you have to hijack every thread with this same old complaint? Especially since you know it's not true. As you know from our previous discussions, we both were pretty much in the same situation. We both lived in OC. And we both were faced with exorbitant housing prices.

Except for one big difference. You obviously paid too much for your OC house. We choose not to and moved out to the desert so we could buy a cheap house that we could actually afford. Now that we're making more money and don't owe much on our current house, we can actually afford to move back to the coast again.

So don't make me out to be one of these people who just happened to luck out and bought back when California coastal prices were really cheap. Nothing could be further from the truth ...

What I did do is live within my means, which has now put me in a great position to take advantage of falling housing prices.
Well good for you. But I don't have the type to life that I can just easily pick up and move out to BFE, then pick up and move again when housing prices are more favorable. And I'd rather rent a garage from illegals in Santa Ana than live in the desert. Blech!

Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Well good for you. But I don't have the type to life that I can just easily pick up and move out to BFE, then pick up and move again when housing prices are more favorable. And I'd rather rent a garage from illegals in Santa Ana than live in the desert. Blech!
Fine ... that was your choice. You chose to pay a fortune for a house in OC, I didn't. There were many people like me who chose to move to more affordable locations in the state.

However, that does not mean that 95 percent of Californians are struggling to make ends meet like you are.

I do have the type of life where I can pick up and move because I planned it that way. In the end, no one is a victim of anything but their own choices.

Last edited by sheri257; 03-23-2008 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-23-2008, 12:19 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
you've got a good point there.
Again ... Escape California is being completely misleading here. I DID NOT buy my house when California coastal prices were cheap. When coastal prices got high I moved out to the desert so I could buy cheap there ...

Please read the previous posts.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:47 PM

493 posts, read 636,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I would advise not ietting a radio station in Texas do your thinking for you.
I wasn't...I was asking for California Residents to give their two cents on the subject...

Old 03-24-2008, 12:29 PM

376 posts, read 1,505,425 times
The ad is marketing and when you market a product i.e. Califorina is the product of course you are going to make it great and California is a great place to Visit or live!

Ask all the tourist that come here or the investors who buy here.

There truly is no place like it........In my humble opinion!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:57 PM

23 posts, read 243,409 times
Quote:
^^ Exhibit A of the attitude of those old enough to have originally acquired property in California years ago at reasonable prices.
I disagree - I'm in my 30s, and by the standards of many places in the country, I did not acquire my house at a reasonable price. However, what I DID do was buy a small house that needed a lot of work, and we did most of the work ourselves. My house is less than 1200 square feet, it has no yard to speak of, but I love my neighborhood and my neighbors and wouldn't trade it.

Like you, I don't care for the desert, but you also couldn't pay me to live in Orange County. I wouldn't fit in with the "Stepford Wives" down there.

Honestly, if you're that unhappy here, why not move? 12 years ago I was living in DC and I despised it, so I left. Your choices are just that - YOUR choices. No one to blame for them but yourself.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:55 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
you dont have to be rich to drive along Hy 1 and enjoy the sights. You dont have to be rich to eat great here and you certainly dont have to be rich to enjoy our sights-heck the price of admission to SF is only $4*LOL*

Old 03-26-2008, 02:14 PM

493 posts, read 636,645 times
I think EscapeCalifornia does have a point...it all depends on the perspective of personal wealth...Escape...grew up in California and probably just wanted to live in the state that he was raised in...it is hard to believe that in socal a home that appraised for $190,000 back in the mid 90's now appraises for around $600,000...I don't know if my figures are correct...whether or not he overdid himself with the property he bought...I dunno exactly, but I'm sure a lot of people are in his situation...I still wanna check the golden state out though...maybe the real estate will drop enough to where it is "semi-affordable" on a good California salary...
Yo, 18Montclair...are you referring to the tolls on the bridges that go into sf?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California