Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 04:12 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Oh I read it all right. I read that the media highlighted the comments of those persons with whom they agreed...

... However, the news media focuses on the voices with which they agree and perhaps didn't even see fit to come to the meeting..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes the L.A Times has a clear agenda ...
You guys are correct: the MSM does have a clear agenda ... just not the one you are conspiratorially accusing them of. Their agenda is to feature what’s truthful - but which also sells to readers.

Back to your Qanon meeting ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 04:21 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Of course, this critical thinking is not something that is easy and effortless and a reader lacking in these critical skills need not actually think and can instead just accept the LATimes articles that have a clear agenda.
Quote:
Yes the L.A Times has a clear agenda
Right. Everyone who writes for one newspaper is exactly like the next columnist. And that Steve Lopez must be a real right winger...

Old 10-28-2018, 04:32 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
“L.A. is home to the largest homeless community living on the street in the U.S. We also have the largest incarcerated population of anywhere in the country — our county jails are effectively the nation’s largest psychiatric institutions,” he says. “And these are the sites where Street Symphony makes music. But we’re not only in these places to perform. The role of the artist in today’s world is not only to heal and inspire, but to disrupt and provoke. One of the patterns that Street Symphony is disrupting and asking questions around, is ‘why should great art only happen at the concert hall?’”

MacArthur fellow Vijay Gupta is sparking change on skid row with his Street Symphony - Los Angeles Times

Old 10-28-2018, 04:43 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Think the tax money will go to good use and we will see any actual progress ?

——
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced Wednesday that the city has received its full disbursement of $85 million in state funds for various homeless initiatives, and plans to dedicate at least $20 million just for the Skid Row area where an estimated 2,000 people sleep on the streets.

The previously approved, one-time Homeless Emergency Assistance Program dollars come from a state budget surplus, along with an additional $81 million awarded to the Los Angeles Homelessness Services Authority, which administers homeless programs in the county.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...498452721.html
The funds will go to hire people to coordinate and disseminate information.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:55 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The funds will go to hire people to coordinate and disseminate information.
Yes more overpaid bureaucrats and “non profits” that benefit from the homeless industrial complex .

Meanwhile nothing on the streets will actually get better .

Old 10-28-2018, 05:38 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You guys are correct: the MSM does have a clear agenda ... just not the one you are conspiratorially accusing them of. Their agenda is to feature what’s truthful - but which also sells to readers.

Back to your Qanon meeting ...
Oh, is that so? Truth, eh? Can you show me where media outlets have advocated for no shelters being built, anywhere and at any time? Clearly there has been wild opposition which explains cities' reluctance to build them despite enormous pressure (advocacy groups, lawsuits, huge costs for cities to oppose) on cities. I have seen this over and over, in Venice, Pasadena, San Pedro, Sherman Oaks, Laguna Niguel, Irvine and Huntington Beach. Last year a Santa Ana City Council meeting on a homeless shelter erupted into complete chaos after the shelter was decided upon. They could not even provide enough time for the opponents to speak. In OC the opposition has been even greater than LA because there are fewer tenants.

Clearly there is strong opposition to housing the homeless even temporarily in any community. It cuts across racial, political, ethnic composition and household incomes. However, the media consistently argues otherwise. Please show me examples when the media has ever advocated anything other than what advocates have asked for.

It is really easy from your vantage point to advocate for whatever you see fit. You are safe in a maintained gated military area in which very few can even reside due to massive space limitations, where you have no risk of equity loss in your investment, no possible harm to your children or property, and little or no tax consequences. I don't begrudge you this at all. I am just pointing out that it is easy for you to advocate for anything your kind heart would like to see. I say kind because I am sure you are a kind person in real life. But you are not out there busting your behind to pay an enormous mortgage in a desirable area, having to deal with traffic to do so, only to see bums being located by your house and destroy your QOL.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 10-28-2018 at 05:49 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 08:25 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
I passed by Lincoln Park in SM again today. Good grief, most of that park is tennis courts, but of the green space portion, it's unusable by local residents due to the homeless. No sane locals can have a picnic, play catch with their kids, etc., due to the overwhelming number of homeless. How pathetic. The SMPD should get their hands on a whole bunch of electric cattle prods and get to the business of making that park usable for local residents, not mentally deranged creepazoids who have no consideration for anybody other than themselves.

"Don't go away mad. Just go away." ~Vince Neil

Old 10-28-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I passed by Lincoln Park in SM again today. Good grief, most of that park is tennis courts, but of the green space portion, it's unusable by local residents due to the homeless. No sane locals can have a picnic, play catch with their kids, etc., due to the overwhelming number of homeless. How pathetic. The SMPD should get their hands on a whole bunch of electric cattle prods and get to the business of making that park usable for local residents, not mentally deranged creepazoids who have no consideration for anybody other than themselves.

"Don't go away mad. Just go away." ~Vince Neil
Well, another Exitus quote for my bookmarks of instances where you advocate violence against the homeless.

The sad state of the park, I agree on. Advocating violence against the homeless is advocating illegal and immoral actions be taken by people who should have the intellect and character to find non-violent solutions.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Oh, is that so? Truth, eh? Can you show me where media outlets have advocated for no shelters being built, anywhere and at any time? Clearly there has been wild opposition which explains cities' reluctance to build them despite enormous pressure (advocacy groups, lawsuits, huge costs for cities to oppose) on cities. I have seen this over and over, in Venice, Pasadena, San Pedro, Sherman Oaks, Laguna Niguel, Irvine and Huntington Beach. Last year a Santa Ana City Council meeting on a homeless shelter erupted into complete chaos after the shelter was decided upon. They could not even provide enough time for the opponents to speak. In OC the opposition has been even greater than LA because there are fewer tenants.

Clearly there is strong opposition to housing the homeless even temporarily in any community. It cuts across racial, political, ethnic composition and household incomes. However, the media consistently argues otherwise. Please show me examples when the media has ever advocated anything other than what advocates have asked for.

It is really easy from your vantage point to advocate for whatever you see fit. You are safe in a maintained gated military area in which very few can even reside due to massive space limitations, where you have no risk of equity loss in your investment, no possible harm to your children or property, and little or no tax consequences. I don't begrudge you this at all. I am just pointing out that it is easy for you to advocate for anything your kind heart would like to see. I say kind because I am sure you are a kind person in real life. But you are not out there busting your behind to pay an enormous mortgage in a desirable area, having to deal with traffic to do so, only to see bums being located by your house and destroy your QOL.
OC ... two things:

1. The true news media do not “advocate” positions when reporting ... only on clearly identified “Editorial / Opinion pages”. I pointed out that news reporting ethics prohibit fabrications and require multiple credible sourcing. News outlets ARE ethically free to choose stories and coverage of features of those chosen stories that sell ... as long as what they report is true, and not fabrication.

2. Your take on the security of my lifestyle is pretty amusing. . You understand that I am in my 70’s and have lived entirely off any military bases since the late 1970’s ... until less than 4 years ago when I moved my boat down to DoD marinas in SD? So for near 40 years I lived in civilian space. Many of those years right in SF in districts with homeless populations?

The fact that I have chosen to be free of anxieties connected to worrying about material possessions and investments doesn’t mean I am blind to the nature of the culture I live in and around. Just remember it’s a choice you make to be bound up in.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:12 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
OC ... two things:

1. The true news media do not “advocate” positions when reporting ... only on clearly identified “Editorial / Opinion pages”. I pointed out that news reporting ethics prohibit fabrications and require multiple credible sourcing. News outlets ARE ethically free to choose stories and coverage of features of those chosen stories that sell ... as long as what they report is true, and not fabrication.

2. Your take on the security of my lifestyle is pretty amusing. . You understand that I am in my 70’s and have lived entirely off any military bases since the late 1970’s ... until less than 4 years ago when I moved my boat down to DoD marinas in SD? So for near 40 years I lived in civilian space. Many of those years right in SF in districts with homeless populations?

The fact that I have chosen to be free of anxieties connected to worrying about material possessions and investments doesn’t mean I am blind to the nature of the culture I live in and around. Just remember it’s a choice you make to be bound up in.
Don't tell me you all are *still* arguing about the homeless situation. I thought you'd have all figured it out by now.

The mainstream media might not be fake, but the main stories are all propaganda these days, whether on the right or left. I stopped watching CNN because it was as if it was an autoplay, cycling the same few stories of the day about Trump and how horrible he is. I'm no Trump supporter but really I wish you could see actual news like in the old days when they'd go through a bunch of stories on different topics, not just trash the president. They had their biases but they tried to present an actual news show.

I rarely see homelessness mentioned except in the major local California news websites. They have a liberal bent typically, and mainly seem to like presenting individual people's stories. Sometimes also recent proposals to deal with the homeless situation are discussed. The stories seem to be more in the news category than propaganda category to me since they don't seem (to me at least) to be ardently promoting an agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles