Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:36 PM

9 posts, read 11,216 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I have been talking about moving for quiet a while now. We are from NJ and would like to get know the world but are feeling stuck. We have been living in NJ our whole life and been talking about moving/renting to CA-The things we are looking for are warm weather, affordable place to live, pets allowed and of course a job!

Little bit about me - I have been working in an animal hospital for almost 5 years - would like to expand my horizons because working with animals is what I've been doing my whole life. Anything but restaurant work

My bf is doing few things but concentrating on starting a new company with his friend this year! Selling t-shirts, buying and selling cars, detailing cars.

The questions I have is- Is California the right place to move to and rent? Would I find a job easy? What do you do there for fun and do some of you get tired of seeing the same thing after a while? Any recommendations where to look at?
Im sorry for all the questions but i am a newbie with this type of thing but I am very curious to what everyone thinks.

Thank you for your time.

Polina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 05:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _polina_ View Post
Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I have been talking about moving for quiet a while now. We are from NJ and would like to get know the world but are feeling stuck. We have been living in NJ our whole life and been talking about moving/renting to CA-The things we are looking for are warm weather, affordable place to live, pets allowed and of course a job!

Little bit about me - I have been working in an animal hospital for almost 5 years - would like to expand my horizons because working with animals is what I've been doing my whole life. Anything but restaurant work

My bf is doing few things but concentrating on starting a new company with his friend this year! Selling t-shirts, buying and selling cars, detailing cars.

The questions I have is- Is California the right place to move to and rent? Would I find a job easy? What do you do there for fun and do some of you get tired of seeing the same thing after a while? Any recommendations where to look at?
Im sorry for all the questions but i am a newbie with this type of thing but I am very curious to what everyone thinks.

Thank you for your time.

Polina
It will be difficult.

You may have a reasonable chance of finding a job, but your friend will either try to find a company who would hire him, and pay would not be great, or try to start his own business which would be expensive and time consuming.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:11 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,346,811 times
If you're a veterinary assistant or tech, you can easily get a job in an animal hospital. However, your boyfriend will have lots of competition selling t-shirts, and buying and selling cars, but he may be able to get job detailing cars.

And auto wrecking companies don't detail cars, they sell them for parts, and when nothing is left, they wreck them.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:12 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,328,582 times
Quote:

Thank you for your time.

Polina
What do you anticipate you can afford for rent? Do you have money saved for the potential move? What happens if you can’t find a job right away, do you have enough saved in case this happens?

A lot of questions that need to be answered, before anyone can really recommend anything

Old 01-28-2018, 07:36 PM

8,392 posts, read 7,654,185 times
Quote:
Hi everyone! The things we are looking for are warm weather, affordable place to live, pets allowed and of course a job!

Polina
Hi Polina,

I think you have the items you're looking for in the wrong order. It should be a job, affordable place to live, and then warm weather.

After all, you can't eat sunshine.

It also sounds like you aren't satisfied or challenged in the job you have now. But moving to another state probably won't fix that unless you figure out what type of job you would enjoy doing more. Saying "anything will do" isn't likely to make you any happier with work, nor is moving without a plan for finding the type of job(S) that you'd prefer.

Try this: make a list of your job skills that you already have that might be transferable to other types of jobs. Then do some research on jobs that might require those skills, or that perhaps you might need to get a little more training/education to be qualified to do. A really good place to learn about different types of jobs is this site: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/

Once you have a clearer idea of the type of work you want to do, consider getting some experience in that type of job (or additional education/training if you need it), then you start thinking about whether moving to another state makes sense or not.

Best wishes!

Old 01-28-2018, 08:55 PM

8,345 posts, read 6,438,626 times
The immigrants have taken over detailing cars, you'll have to compete with them.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:23 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,306,921 times
Quote:
Hi everyone! we are looking for are warm weather, affordable place to live, pets allowed and of course a job!
I suggest the Atlanta area.

Quote:

Unless you have careers with a minimum of 200k combined income forget about ever buying a home in a desirable coastal California area. The averge rent in the LA area is $2100-2200 a month for a 1 bedroom. So unless you make at least $75k per year you would be looking at a possible roommate situation or living in a bad area to save on rent.

Quote:
The questions I have is- Is California the right place to move to and rent?
Only if you have a great job offer from a technology or biotech company. The California of the 1980's and 1990's is not the California of 2018. It is one of the few places in the United States that makes New Jersey look inexpensive.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:16 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,705,167 times
No.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:20 AM

130,493 posts, read 12,130,332 times
You have to make your own choices in life. I love California, but if I was young again, & living elsewhere, I am not so sure it is such a great place to move to anymore, unless you go inland, but then there is no coast, but lots of lakes for water activities. Also not so many jobs, but life is cheaper. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:00 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,043,778 times
Quote:

Thank you for your time.

Polina

I think you first need to figure out which part of CA you're interested in. You may not be aware of just how big the state is. We have more people than the entire country of Canada and land area that covers almost 165,000 square miles. It's almost impossible to give you any sort of good recommendations until you know where you'd like to settle down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California