Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 06:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Do you realize how backwards your statement is? "Flatlining prices won't help, so let's just do nothing and let them continue to increase" That doesn't make any sense. If supply lags enough, then even the ghettos become expensive, like in 2006, when houses in South Central we're going for $600k, which is insane, because no one who could afford a $3k/month mortgage payment would dare buy a house in South Central. That was the true indicator that things had gone off the rails then, eventually the same thing will happen again with your "just don't build anything" mentality
Totally different circumstances then. Loans for those $600,000.00 houses were going to people who could not afford them, banks and the Gov't giving stupid loans and people drawing against the equity and ... the market collapsed. That is not happening right now.

Prices increase based on ... supply and demand. To increase the supply it would have to be beyond what the builders are capable of and by the time they were built people would have bought them and prices would still go up. You can't build fast enough to get ahead of demand. No builder is that stupid, they would not build if prices went down as they would lose money. That is why building almost stopped in the last recession. No money to be made. Then if prices dropped there would be even fewer resales as people would sit on their homes as the owners today are not like the stupid ones in 2006.

Note, I never said don't build anything, so please do not twist my words. All I have said is you can't build fast enough and prices will not go down. Even Skyscrapers in LA have very high priced units. Please, where is a builder building cheaper homes in SoCal in popular areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 06:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You're being ridiculous. The law of supply and demand applies to housing as it does to anything else. You clearly don't understand the filtering theory of housing, despite my explaining it.

"Making enough money" doesn't fix the problem. If everyone finds a way to make more money and housing supply doesn't increase, then prices just inflate some more.

Government policy is a big part of what's wrong. Yes, a lot of areas don't have much buildable land. But limited land isn't the same as no land. We're not talking about Midwest prices here. We're taking making an attempt to make California a place that isn't the rich vs. impoverished serfs, which is what's it's becoming. And that's mostly a result of policy decisions.

California hasn't build enough housing for decades and economists from across the political spectrum have been saying so for decades.
I agree not enough houses have been built to keep up with demand. It never will occur as builders are in the business of making money. Even now materials are going up as the fires, hurricanes, etc have caused a supply shortage. This is reality, no matter how frustrating it is.

How do you make the popular places a place for the not only the rich or poor? Some policy decisions may be bad to you, but not to everyone. The land owners get to make the decisions, not the people who want their land. Lets try your idea in Beverly Hills and see how it impacts prices. Tear down the mansions and build apts at a low price.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:16 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I agree not enough houses have been built to keep up with demand. It never will occur as builders are in the business of making money. Even now materials are going up as the fires, hurricanes, etc have caused a supply shortage. This is reality, no matter how frustrating it is.

How do you make the popular places a place for the not only the rich or poor? Some policy decisions may be bad to you, but not to everyone. The land owners get to make the decisions, not the people who want their land. Lets try your idea in Beverly Hills and see how it impacts prices. Tear down the mansions and build apts at a low price.
Builders still build when prices fall, they only stop once they don't think a profit is going to pencil out, I've seen it here even. Building slows with falling prices, but doesn't stop as long as the properties still sell for a profit

Old 03-26-2018, 09:02 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Builders still build when prices fall, they only stop once they don't think a profit is going to pencil out, I've seen it here even. Building slows with falling prices, but doesn't stop as long as the properties still sell for a profit
In L.A during the crash there was hardly any building . Most of it was because financing became so difficult .

Old 03-26-2018, 09:17 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Both Newsom and Villar are in deep with the developers. We are screwed big time if either one of them becomes governor.😧

Old 03-26-2018, 09:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You're being ridiculous. The law of supply and demand applies to housing as it does to anything else. You clearly don't understand the filtering theory of housing, despite my explaining it.

"Making enough money" doesn't fix the problem. If everyone finds a way to make more money and housing supply doesn't increase, then prices just inflate some more.

Government policy is a big part of what's wrong. Yes, a lot of areas don't have much buildable land. But limited land isn't the same as no land. We're not talking about Midwest prices here. We're taking making an attempt to make California a place that isn't the rich vs. impoverished serfs, which is what's it's becoming. And that's mostly a result of policy decisions.

California hasn't build enough housing for decades and economists from across the political spectrum have been saying so for decades.
Because you CANT keep up with the demand. To keep up with demand you need to build 100,000 houses per year. That’s basically building one new city every year. You also need the infrastructure to support that city. Streets, freeway, cops firefighters utilities, hospitals food stores and shops. You also need the people to build those houses streets hospitals fire houses police stations, utility stations. And all those people will need houses.
You would need 200,000 houses a year built to meet current and future demand and lower prices.

It’s EASY to say build more houses and everything will be ok houses will come down in price and will be affordable.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
In L.A during the crash there was hardly any building . Most of it was because financing became so difficult .
Building stopped everywhere during the crash. Again, I'm talking modest 1-3% drops in price, not what happened in 2009-2011, with 50%-70% drops in some places; there was no profit to be made anywhere, so building stopped. Doesn't contradict what I said at all

Old 03-27-2018, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Because you CANT keep up with the demand. To keep up with demand you need to build 100,000 houses per year. That’s basically building one new city every year. You also need the infrastructure to support that city. Streets, freeway, cops firefighters utilities, hospitals food stores and shops. You also need the people to build those houses streets hospitals fire houses police stations, utility stations. And all those people will need houses.
You would need 200,000 houses a year built to meet current and future demand and lower prices.

It’s EASY to say build more houses and everything will be ok houses will come down in price and will be affordable.
Houses aren't the way to solve a housing crisis, apartments and condos are. It is easier and takes less land

Old 03-29-2018, 03:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Houses aren't the way to solve a housing crisis, apartments and condos are. It is easier and takes less land
It isn’t any less expensive. I finished 4 multi use apartment buildings in DTLA. Easy building had a average land acquisition cost of 50 million dollars. That’s not build cost. It’s strictly to buy the land. Easier and taking less land doesn’t mean crap to a builder. They are going to maximize their profits and get as much as they can for the unit. I know I would
Only way it’s gonna be cheap is it it’s subsidized but then someone else is picking up the heavy lifting

Last edited by Electrician4you; 03-29-2018 at 04:01 PM..

Old 03-29-2018, 05:23 PM

665 posts, read 612,865 times
Quote:
Builders will only build if they can make a profit. There was a lot of homes in IE especially in the High Desert (I know some ppl I used to work with that lived up there) that got knocked down because they couldn't sell to anyone.

What's going to happen is that there will be so much upward pressure (due to inflation from the tax cuts, chronic deficits, etc) that banks/lenders will be forced to provide high-risk loans like before. Just history repeating itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California