Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 07:25 PM

6 posts, read 8,526 times

Advertisements

New to the central coast (Monterey peninsula)...

Have lived in the SF Bay Area (downtown, Burlingame, Pacifica), as well as San Diego (La Jolla, Encinitas)... How do you all see life being different/unique in our new location? What will be the biggest adjustments? Would you draw any particular comparisons to life on the Monterey peninsula with any of the aforementioned places?

KH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,886 times
This is just me, but when I think of the 'central coast', I think of remote stretches of road, cliffside homes overlooking the ocean, and charming small towns. Monterey probably won't be too much of a change from the Bay area as its still relatively close to the bay area.

The biggest changes will probably be a slower pace and less cultural diversity. Monterey also feels a bit more conservative than the bay area, but not at all in a bad way. One nice thing about Monterey is that it's location gives you easy, quick access to the central coast just south of it.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:03 PM

169 posts, read 764,993 times
That is correct, Monterey isn't considered the Central Coast.
That is where I live. San Luis Obispo County. Half way between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:25 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,514,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSmiling View Post
That is correct, Monterey isn't considered the Central Coast.
That is where I live. San Luis Obispo County. Half way between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Tell all the Salinas/Monterey TV news stations because they always tout being "News for the Central Coast". Tell all the businesses who have Central Coast as part of their name (like the doctors group I went to). I lived in Monterey for four years and Salinas for seven years. Monterey County is NOT the Bay Area. It is on the Central Coast. Maybe the northern end of it, but definitely the Central Coast.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:45 AM

3,473 posts, read 5,268,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Tell all the Salinas/Monterey TV news stations because they always tout being "News for the Central Coast". Tell all the businesses who have Central Coast as part of their name (like the doctors group I went to). I lived in Monterey for four years and Salinas for seven years. Monterey County is NOT the Bay Area. It is on the Central Coast. Maybe the northern end of it, but definitely the Central Coast.
Agreed. Everytime we've been to Monterey, everywhere you look, it says "Central Coast" on magazines and businesses. And what else would it be? It's south of the Bay Area already, and it's literally the exact center of the state. But yes, it's the North terminus of the Central Coast.

I think Monterey has its own unique feel, different from the Bay Area. It's geographically a bit isolated, it has unique scenery (17 mile drive is incredible), and it's still rather artsy and not part of the rat race at all. And it's got more of a Central Coast climate too, with more winter warm spells many years, along with foggy summers of course.

Beautiful area but too remote for many.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:35 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,617,430 times
I guess the Central Coast can be from Santa Barbara County to Monterrey. Although to the people who live in SLO and SB County, we are the Central Coast.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,070 times
I’ve always viewed the Central Coast as Point Conception to Santa Cruz. I just looked online and some have it as far south as Ventura? I’ don’t quite agree with that, and have never heard that in my life. I spent a lot of time visiting my sister at UCSB in the 1990’s and it was always Southern California to everyone there, and not just the students. I don’t know when this change occurred either.

Wikipedia has Santa Barbara & Ventura Counties both in Southern California and the Central Coast, lol. I can get Santa Barbara County because parts are in both, but Ventura? Come on now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_California
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Coast_(California)

Old 02-14-2019, 01:02 PM

6 posts, read 8,526 times
I realize the term "Central Coast" means different things to different people. My intent for this question was for a comparison of areas, not for what constitutes Central Coast, Bay Area, etc. So I'm going to repost a new thread about comparisons and let this one continue down the road of defining boundaries. Framing the question is everything I'm quickly learning here. Thanks!

Last edited by KingsHighway; 02-14-2019 at 01:35 PM..

Old 02-15-2019, 12:00 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,617,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsHighway View Post
I realize the term "Central Coast" means different things to different people. My intent for this question was for a comparison of areas, not for what constitutes Central Coast, Bay Area, etc. So I'm going to repost a new thread about comparisons and let this one continue down the road of defining boundaries. Framing the question is everything I'm quickly learning here. Thanks!

We kind of took over didn't we!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California