Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 09:31 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times

Advertisements

I just decided to take a last minute 5 day spring break trip with my teen daughter to look at a few colleges in southern CA. We are flying in/out of Santa Ana. We scheduled a 2 hour tour at Caltech and would like to walk through UCLA and USC campuses if possible.

My daughter has never been to CA and wants to visit Hollywood, and go to a great beach. She'd like the "full tourist experience." I've also been wanting to visit Joshua Tree. Many years ago, I traveled to/from La Jolla, San Diego, and Santa Barbara frequently for work and liked those areas. Are those areas too far of a drive from the campuses/airport? Where else could we stay?

I have a limited concept of actual distances/road travel times so need some help from you locals.
Any suggestions on how to put together a 5 day itinerary that includes the college tours and some fun sightseeing for my teen? Where would be a central location to stay?

We'll have a rental car and don't mind scenic driving up/down the coast to get to things. Lots of walking/hiking/biking is good too.

I'm not sure what the avg. hotel pricing is, but we'd prefer something on/walkable to a beach if we can still get that. Maybe around $300 night? We also like shopping and good food. I don't want to be in a "family fun" place either - no water parks please..

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 03-18-2018 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 05:05 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Explore Santa Catalina Island Off the California Coast

For a 1 day trip.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:04 PM

381 posts, read 344,681 times
I’d consider staying in 2 of these places...Hollywood, Laguna Beach, La Jolla, and Downtown San Diego (Little Italy or Gaslamp). You will easily find lots to do in any of these areas. Plus they are all somewhat close to your destination schools.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:57 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I just decided to take a last minute 5 day spring break trip with my teen daughter to look at a few colleges in southern CA. We are flying in/out of Santa Ana. We scheduled a 2 hour tour at Caltech and would like to walk through UCLA and USC campuses if possible.

My daughter has never been to CA and wants to visit Hollywood, and go to a great beach. She'd like the "full tourist experience." I've also been wanting to visit Joshua Tree. Many years ago, I traveled to/from La Jolla, San Diego, and Santa Barbara frequently for work and liked those areas. Are those areas too far of a drive from the campuses/airport? Where else could we stay?

I have a limited concept of actual distances/road travel times so need some help from you locals.
Any suggestions on how to put together a 5 day itinerary that includes the college tours and some fun sightseeing for my teen? Where would be a central location to stay?

We'll have a rental car and don't mind scenic driving up/down the coast to get to things. Lots of walking/hiking/biking is good too.

I'm not sure what the avg. hotel pricing is, but we'd prefer something on/walkable to a beach if we can still get that. Maybe around $300 night? We also like shopping and good food. I don't want to be in a "family fun" place either - no water parks please..

I think it would be better to not stay in just one hotel. Stay overnight close to the day's activities. Here is a sample itinerary to maximize college visits.

Maybe stay at the Radisson USC to start just to get the feel of the USC campus area.

Day 1:morning visit Caltech, afternoon visit UCLA. Late afternoon/evening beach tour of Venice Beach,Santa Monica Beach and the coast highway

Or make the UCLA visit a separate day and combine the Cal Tech visit with a trip to Huntington Gardens, Pasadena and shopping at Santa Anita Mall.

Day 2:visit USC in the morning and later pick one
a)visit Universal Studio
b)LA City Tour-Beverly Hills, Farmers Market,downtown,Little Tokyo,Griffith Park,Farmers Market,museums near USC,Huntington Library and Gardens,Norton Simon Museum etc.
c)visit the Claremont Colleges(Havery Mudd) and Cal Poly Pomona,on way back to hotel try some Asian food in San Gabriel Valley along Valley Blvd.

Day 3:Visit UC-Irvine,take the 710 south to Long Beach,drive along highway 1 to Newport Beach(Fashion Island,Balboa Peninsula and Island,Corona Del Mar Beach). At night drive to San Diego. For a classic beach experience stay at the Hotel del Coronado. For a less expensive and more convenient location beach experience try the La Jolla Cove Hotel.

Day 4:Visit UC San Diego,La Jolla,Pacific Beach,Mission Beach,Balboa Park(zoo and museums), maybe after dinner drive back to Orange County,stay in a Huntington Beach or Balboa Peninsula hotel.

Last edited by capoeira; 03-19-2018 at 11:35 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

Both San Diego and Santa Barbara would both be be too far of a schlep to tour colleges in LA from, so as suggested above, I'd try to stay in LA for your tours there. On a free day, maybe do a drive down to Laguna Beach for the day just to see a bit more of Southern California. If you decide you'd like to do a night or two somewhere after your college tours, you can easily drive to San Diego or Santa Barbara in about two hours (a little less for SB. It might be fun to divide your trip up that way.

In terms of colleges in the LA area, may I suggest that you also take a look at the Claremont Colleges (The Claremont Colleges) while you're out here? In particular, Harvey Mudd is a great option for students interested in schools like Cal Tech. It has exceptionally strong programs in science and engineering. Pomona College, another of the Claremont Colleges, is one of the top ranked liberal arts colleges in the country which also has extremely strong science programs. There are five colleges in the Claremont Consortium, and they are all side by side, so you get the benefits of a small school combined with a mid-sized school. The Claremont Colleges really are unique options in Southern California and deserve at least a drive through. The Claremont Colleges

Enjoy your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California