Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 06:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,232,213 times

Advertisements

Downey, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 10:25 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
Oh my gosh, OP, you're so young!

I was born in a Kaiser hospital in the east bay area of the SF Bay Area in the 1950's. I'm not comfortable getting more specific than that on the Internet.

I remember going for drives in the country - which was San Jose LOL. Just a bunch of fruit orchards back then. We'd stop at Mission San Jose on the way.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:41 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,461,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh my gosh, OP, you're so young!

I was born in a Kaiser hospital in the east bay area of the SF Bay Area in the 1950's. I'm not comfortable getting more specific than that on the Internet.

I remember going for drives in the country - which was San Jose LOL. Just a bunch of fruit orchards back then. We'd stop at Mission San Jose on the way.
As if anyone could identify you from what town. lol

Old 04-09-2018, 11:54 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,005,852 times
I was born in Santa Clara and lived in Milpitas for about my 1st 25 years of life. Then I lived in Santa Clara, San Jose and now Newark...so I'm a lifelong Bay Area resident, at least for the time being.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:04 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,631,788 times
San Mateo - last baby born in the year 1967 at that location, possibly the whole county.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:20 PM

764 posts, read 2,023,919 times
Fresno native here.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:03 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,167,817 times
Born and raised in Fresno.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:37 PM

173 posts, read 287,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
What city/town in California are YOU originally from? Just out of curiousity, of course...

Me, I'm originally from Indio (born and raised). I was born in the John F. Kennedy Memorial Hospital in December 1998, but didn't start living there until December 2004.

I lived in Indio for the longest parts of my life (which were first from Dec. 2004-Feb. 2009, then from Oct. 2010-Jan. 2011, and finally from April 2011-present).

So, now, where in California are YOU originally from?
I’m originally from Santa Ana, born and raised. Moved around within Orange County most of my life, with the exception of having lived in San Bernardino for about a year and a half for a lower cost of living.

Now, I live in Texas.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:05 PM

4,522 posts, read 6,211,640 times
Born/raised in San Jose. Born in O'connor Hospital, 6 day stay for my mother and I... was $66.82, with tax. 1st house I owned was in Boulder Creek, wondered how in the world we would ever pay for it...$16K. left for greener pastures in the 70's.

Regards
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 04-09-2018 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-09-2018, 02:20 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times
I consider myself "from" Home Gardens.

I lived there from 1986-1996, or from the ages of 2 until right before I turned 13.

Home Gardens is an unincorporated area wedged between Corona and Riverside, and has addresses showing both Corona 92879 and Riverside 92503 (I'm from the 92879 portion). The Corona 92879 portion is very poor and Latino overall, the best part is east of Grant St and south of Magnolia, where you can find some lower-middle class households (housing mostly built in the 1960's), but it's still pretty dingy overall. North of Magnolia/east of Grant St there is a mobile home park (for seniors IIRC), and there's another one on the far SW side of the neighborhood. Everything west of Grant St until the Corona limit line is poor, high crime, in Spanish, and not somewhere you'd want to find yourself at night, if I'm going to be completely honest. Magnolia Ave is lined with palm trees on both sides, and is the center of business (mostly Mexican food, churches, convenience stores/carnicerias, bars, and every kind of auto repair you can think of), and the neighborhood is surrounded by hills and mountains (you can see the Santa Anas, San Gabriels, and San Bernardinos from the neighborhood).

Home Gardens Elementary School is in the Corona-Norco Unified School District, and its original building (now demolished) was built in 1946. Home Gardens itself was founded in the 1910s to house workers at the tin mine in the hills to the south. Most shopping/amenities are found in Corona, and what isn't there is in Riverside.

I attended Home Gardens Elementary from Kindergarten through third grade (from 4th through 8th I was bused to Norco; I aced a standardized test in third grade, so the district moved my education out of Home Gardens). The center of Home Gardens life is at the school itself, the playground hosted several adult soccer matches (both casual and formal) daily, and the old playground is now an actual real soccer field. Occasionally, I'd go there and sit on the swings and do commentary.

Growing up there wasn't ideal, I would never want my own children to grow up in that type of environment, but there are elements from it I would love to have again. Our immediate neighbors were like family, and are still like family to me to this day. Every weekend would be a party it seemed. Home Gardens was filled with characters, ex-cons, gang members, druggies, drunks (imagine the hair metal, grunge, and gangster rap eras with these folks), but mostly just a ton of people from Mexico/Central America. Guns would pop off on every holiday, and some kids I grew up with have been gunned down in gang or drug BS. Some stuff I saw and experienced there (especially around middle school) still messes with me to this day.

Anyhow, I still go back there occasionally, but it hasn't changed that much.

I was born in Long Beach (at Memorial), and lived in Anaheim and Santa Ana as a baby/toddler. After the Home Gardens experience, I finished my rearing in Riverside (proper), which was a big step up in most ways (except school quality really).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California