Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Pools don't use a lot of water. I have a water efficient yard. I explained to you that I am a relative water saver. Anything else?
That's like stepping on dollars to save dimes. And how many gallons of water are in your pool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 09:44 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
That's like stepping on dollars to save dimes. How many gallons of water are in the pool? But, you have a water efficient yard. Kay.
Why don't you look up pools and water use and get back to me, kay?

Old 04-15-2018, 10:38 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Why don't you look up pools and water use and get back to me, kay?
Let’s see. The initial filling. Evaporation rate. Topping off to make up the level year by year.

Just remember you started this thread. To repeat, I don’t want CA to spend Billions AND to destroy more watersheds so you can have a big lawn and a pool.

My BIL lives in a newer subdivision in AZ. No lawns or personal swimming pools allowed. Guess why?

Old 04-15-2018, 11:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Perhaps you did no reading on this topic. Well I have, lots. Pools don’t use much water at all. All methods are being employed to prevent as much evaporation as possible. Did it ever dawn on you that it might have been filled when there was no drought? Very clearly, you’ve done no reading on this topic.

My overall water use is in the miser range.

Now then, as virtue signaling has been completed, can we talk about supply? After all, this shouldn’t be about me, right? That would be akin to an ad hominem attack designed to shut down conversation on this topic. You didn’t expect me to be a relative water miser.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:25 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Luvsocal,

Have you thought about using the water that Orange County produces to sustain its 3 million plus people instead of stealing it from other places where it naturally occurs and naturally flows. Oh, thats right, you don't have any fresh water that naturally occurs there because you destroyed all your watersheds to build suburbs and freeways.

You have all the water you could possible need from Seal Beach to San Clemente off the Orange County Coast -- start building desalinization plants, and start producing your own fresh water instead of stealing from other places for which it naturally exists.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:24 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Luvsocal,

Have you thought about using the water that Orange County produces to sustain its 3 million plus people instead of stealing it from other places where it naturally occurs and naturally flows. Oh, thats right, you don't have any fresh water that naturally occurs there because you destroyed all your watersheds to build suburbs and freeways.

You have all the water you could possible need from Seal Beach to San Clemente off the Orange County Coast -- start building desalinization plants, and start producing your own fresh water instead of stealing from other places for which it naturally exists.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:35 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Pools don’t use much water at all. All methods are being employed to prevent as much evaporation as possible. Did it ever dawn on you that it might have been filled when there was no drought?
Methods like what, a pool cover? And when you filled your pool has nothing to do with evaporation of pool water.

"How much water is lost every year to evaporation? The Los Angeles Airport experiences an estimated 65.5 inches per year of “pan” evaporation – the amount of water that evaporates from a standard measuring device used by hydrologists – a four-foot diameter Class A evaporation pan. This rate of water loss is approximately (perhaps 25% higher than) what would occur off of the surface of a pool. Assuming there are no pool covers, this means that the surface area of all Los Angeles swimming pools would lose around 2,000 acre-feet of water per year to evaporation..."

Water Policy: What about All Those Swimming Pools in Los Angeles? - Pacific Institute

Old 04-16-2018, 07:56 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
... Yes, I have a pool ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Lose the huge lawn and the pool

Swimming pools use less water than grass lawns. Perhaps the next step is to require homeowners to replace grass with pools.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:27 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I see the OP is in Orange County. There was normal or likely less rain this year. Democrats let our rain water run out to the sea instead of trying to save it.
I'm reading the Metropolitan Water District wants to charge us for the billions for the tunnel up north under the Delta to bring water down here. If your 50 or older you'll be dead before you get to use a drop of that water. Make the people who use it pay for it, not us.
Right--as if Republicans would have done any different. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here, to find something to bash Dems about, aren't you? Hey, if you live long enough, you'll have enough material to write a book!

Old 04-16-2018, 10:08 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Swimming pools use less water than grass lawns.
Apparently they use the same amount of water. The pool industry would like you to think that pools use less.

Some water conservation experts question the pool industry’s math and say, at best, residential pools and lawns use roughly the same amount of water after an initial fill. There are 1.18 million residential pools in California, according to Metrostudy, which tracks housing information....

https://www.pe.com/2015/06/03/drough...turf-or-pools/

And it would have to be a newly constructed swimming pool to use less water than a lawn.

According to the California Pool & Spa Association, the average pool requires less water than grass. The association’s website explained it this way: “A newly completed residential swimming pool will demand less water during the first year compared to a lawn — about 26,250 gallons versus 30,000 gallons for the same area of grass.”

And after the first year, then what? As a former pool owner (of a fairly new pool), I recall having to fill ours frequently, especially in the warmer months.

In Ongoing Drought, More Long Beach Homeowners Opt For Swimming Pool Removal | News | gazettes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California