Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2007, 01:53 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,344 times

Advertisements

Jumping in for a chance to educate here: Prop 13 property tax rate stabilization only applies to homes purchased before 1978. It has never applied to, say, me or any future relocator and never will. Hence my husband and I pay way more in property tax for our gang-infested Van Nuys modest house than my parents do for their mansion on a same-sized lot in one of the richest, toniest, safest, most exclusion-by sheer finances area of all L.A., Westwood Village, where all surrounding homes are worth way over a million dollars.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:24 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Just remember, California was Mexico, taken as the spoils of war in 1846. If they take it back peacefully, who can blame them.
I believe California was purchased from Mexico for around $25,000,000.00. I don't think anybody held a gun to their head and forced them to take the money. Anybody remember studying history in school? The Gadsden Purchase?

Old 01-11-2007, 03:56 PM

150 posts, read 799,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
The situation for the person you knew in regards to inheriting their parents property tax rate probably does not happen often enough to make a difference.Can you imagine if you bought your home for lets say$300k and roughly paid $3,000 per years in taxes. Now its worth $800K and you are still paying $3,000 per year. At leat that prop protects you from it going up so high because the value went up but your income level did not rise enough to afoard that huge tax bill.I think the short fall is made up all the time when a house sells and the value has risen and sold for way more than they paid for.
Another good thing for prop 13 is at age 55 if you upgrade to more expensive home within your county of which you live,you can transfer your lower prop taxes with you one time.
I disagree. If your 300k home from 1978 is now worth 800k, the mill rate could change and you wouldn't be paying on 800k, rather a percentage of the assessed value. Also, older people could get some kind of a local property tax break, depending on what each town is willing to provide.

You can't tell me older people don't use services. It isn't just the schools, it's police, fire, ambulance, emergency calls, etc. We should pay a fair price for fair services. That older person paying a few hundred dollars a year in property taxes would use that up with one 'I've fallen and I can't get up' emergency response. The principal burden falls on new people moving in a buying a house, which is inherently unfair.

Prop 13 was and is a bad idea for California.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:01 PM

150 posts, read 799,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Jumping in for a chance to educate here: Prop 13 property tax rate stabilization only applies to homes purchased before 1978. It has never applied to, say, me or any future relocator and never will. Hence my husband and I pay way more in property tax for our gang-infested Van Nuys modest house than my parents do for their mansion on a same-sized lot in one of the richest, toniest, safest, most exclusion-by sheer finances area of all L.A., Westwood Village, where all surrounding homes are worth way over a million dollars.
We bought our house for $670 and were paying 8.5k in property taxes. It only went up by a fixed percentage each year. The new owners bought it for 1,350k five years later. We were still paying 9k a year. The new taxes for the new owners from a different area were 15k a year. Good thing for those people, so the guy with four kids using the school system only has to pay $700 dollars a year in property taxes.

As I stated, Prop 13 is inherently unfair. What if nobody anywhere ever moved away. Would the schools be cheaper? Nah.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:04 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I believe California was purchased from Mexico for around $25,000,000.00. I don't think anybody held a gun to their head and forced them to take the money. Anybody remember studying history in school? The Gadsden Purchase?
Not before the United States used military force to get Mexico's Land. That's why there was a war! This is the Mexican-American War. The United States wanted the land, and Mexico said no. So we pounded the **** out of them from 1846-1848, and then it was Mexico who decided it was probably better the United States purchase the Southwest from them, then continue to be slaughtered. I'm sure you didn't know that, than being purposefully ignorant.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:53 PM

53 posts, read 267,272 times
Yeah!!! The Southwest was Mexico's....They stole it fair & square from the the Indians, (Sorry, Natve Americans) who'd spent the previous millenia stealing it from each other....Did you know that mexico once offered bounties on Indian scalps; 100$ for a male 50$ for a female, ( the Sexists!) and 10 dollars for the kids....They ETHNICALLY CLEANSED the SW as they took it over....And then we took it over from them....What goes around comes around....And now they wanna take it back so that they can turn it into the same kind of disfuctional third world S**Thole that they fled from.....
Dusesean & Greatbasinguide; aren't you hypocrites squatting immorially on land violently stolen from Native Americans.....You should immeadiatly surrender your land to any surviving Native Ams in your area and return to Europe.......And you should pay reperations as well, having been direct beneficiaries of the Native American holocaust......

Old 01-14-2007, 03:08 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
Thank you WorkinStiff for posting this!!! GREAT point!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 03:28 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,827 times
Quote:
Did you know that mexico once offered bounties on Indian scalps; 100$ for a male 50$ for a female, ( the Sexists!) and 10 dollars for the kids....They ETHNICALLY CLEANSED the SW as they took it over....
Actually, that was the Americans, when they could not find Indians they would kill Mexicans and bring the scalps in for the bounty.

My land was not stolen violently from the indians. The washoe gave it up happily for whiskey. Now they sell the white men cigarettes. Nice balance there.

The point is, land changes hands frequently. why whine about it?

If you think Mexico is a bad place I would guess you have not spent much time there, as odd as it seems, there is much more personal freedom in Mexico than in this fear ridden over regulated nation.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:41 PM

791 posts, read 1,819,940 times
Angry Just my 2 cents...

Being a native Californian, I have to agree with MUCH of what's been said about CA and why people are leaving.

I've never lived anywhere but CA. I LOVE this state!!! And when I got married 21 Yrs ago, I told my husband he'd NEVER EVER get me to leave CA. Guess what?.....we're headed for the Mid-West in 4 weeks. We sold the house, we're packin' up, and getting the H*** out of this Godforsaken place. This is NOT the same CA that I was born in!!!

Why? For the same reason most people are leaving:
  1. Too Expensive
  2. Crime
  3. Population Explosion
  4. RUDE A** People!!!
  5. Bumper To Bumper Gridlock on the roads
  6. Lack of Morals & Ethics
  7. Ugly
We live in the Central Valley/Modesto area. Pop: 400k+ Lord have mercy!!! Gangs are out of control here, and 1/2 the population won't speak english. Wages are some of the lowest in the state, and everywhere you look they're building more houses right on top of each other. Plus, the heat in the summer is dreadfully oppressive...with normal daily highs in the triple digits.

Pretty soon it's going to be nothing but houses, with pissed off people getting on each others' last nerve. Hardly anyone says 'Thank You' or 'Your Welcome' anymore. Everything is Rush Rush...due yesterday. If someone needs anything, they don't ask politely...they bark out their demands. And heaven forbid anyone accept responsibility for themselves; Everything that goes wrong is someone elses fault.

Every time you turn around, they're raising this tax or adding a new tax...and for what? Just to pad their bureaucratic pockets. Because it sure isn't getting passed down to the local govts.

And Uglyyyyyyyyyyy....they're taking all of our beautiful landscape and turning it all into freeways, housing, malls or industrial parks. Trash & Litter everywhere you look. Just one big dumping ground!

I don't know....it's just too much anymore. I'm too old for this B.S. It's not worth it. I'd much rather be in Mayberry or Pixley, on a couple acres, than to have to fight my way through this rat race everyday!

I remember when I was a kid...I'd go all over town on the bus with my girlfriend, and we never feared for our safety. We NEVER locked our front door, and all the neighbors knew each other. Today there are police sub-stations in most of the schools, and the kids have to worry about their safety every minute. It's just not right.

CA will ALWAYS be my state...but they are taking away everything that made it great...and I just can't watch them kill her.

......Just my 2 cents

Old 01-14-2007, 10:51 PM

85 posts, read 505,308 times
wow boof, you just bummed me out on CA again. I've had mixed feelings about coming back and you pretty much nailed it on the negatives.

Sigh. Oh well at least I'm renting so I can get back out easy if I want to.

It is rather sad though. This area was so nice in the 70's up until the mid-80's, then it just went batty with congestion and growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California