Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:40 AM

82 posts, read 62,977 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, First off I'm new here so forgive me if this has already been answered. But I have a problem. I Want to know how does one move out of state without a job or a place to stay? I Recently went to California to visit, I Liked it a lot but when I was looking for rooms to rent most wanted to see checks stubs or proof of income. And I looked up some info on getting an apartment, most all of them wants to see proof of income. So is it something I'm missing in all of this? How do people up and move like that? Money is not really an issue as I have more than 5 grand saved up at the moment. Is it some some kind of temporary housing I can use to get on my feet? Any info would help a lot.

Thanks

PS Im form the south if anyone want to know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 09:56 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeadviser View Post
Hey guys, First off I'm new here so forgive me if this has already been answered. But I have a problem. I Want to know how does one move out of state without a job or a place to stay? I Recently went to California to visit, I Liked it a lot but when I was looking for rooms to rent most wanted to see checks stubs or proof of income. And I looked up some info on getting an apartment, most all of them wants to see proof of income. So is it something I'm missing in all of this? How do people up and move like that? Money is not really an issue as I have more than 5 grand saved up at the moment. Is it some some kind of temporary housing I can use to get on my feet? Any info would help a lot.

Thanks

I'm going to be honest, your only options without a stable income are going to be short term or extended stay motels. You "might" get lucky renting a room in someone's home short term, month to month, but highly doubtful without any provable income.

The rental market in California is extremely competitive. My last rental property that I leased out (a 3 bedroom SFH) in a desirable area of SoCal had 92 applicants and it was on the market for less than a week. I'd say that I threw out at least 20 of them because they couldn't pass the credit check, and another 25 or so were dropped because they didn't meet the income requirements or had an eviction or other worrisome history on their background check. So that left roughly 45 FULLY QUALIFIED applicants for ONE property.

Best thing you can do is start job searching right now. Get in with a company, stay at a short term/extended stay motel, and then start applying for apartments once you get that first check.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:02 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Don't move to California. More and more working people are trying to get the heck out of this insane asylum of a backwards, failed state.

That said, the last two times I moved, I had jobs lined up first. The first time, I stayed with the same employer, just took a new role. The second time, I started a search and accepted an offer, then moved.

You could look on Craigslist for a room for rent, but anyone you'd want to be renting from will require a background check and income verification... in this nuthouse state, once someone establishes residency at an address, you have to evict them if they don't pay. That can easily take six months the way the courts and laws are stacked against property owners. I would never rent to anyone without a background and proof that they have the ability to pay.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:51 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Honestly 5k is not much at all. Someone else wanted to move from California to Atlanta which is cheaper and I advised it was a risky move. Your 5k could easily be gone in a month.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:

Thanks

I would like to know why you chose your account name as "Lifeadviser"...

Old 04-17-2018, 11:37 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,247 times
Finding an apartment in LA these days is not like stopping by Target to pick up a pack of paper towels... you need to plan, plan, plan, and have strong contingencies.

Long story short, for those with professional careers, you move to LA by sending your resume to companies in the area, wait for someone to offer you an interview, fly/drive back and forth to the interview (perhaps multiple interviews), waiting (hoping) they will extend an offer to you, accepting the offer, searching for temporary places to live in the area, securing a place to live, and finally packing up and moving...

For those not in professional careers, you move to LA by saving up a good bit of money beforehand (personally, I would shoot for a minimum of 1 year's worth of living expenses, with an additional 6 month reserve in case you need to relocate), researching places to live in the area that will accept you on short notice and without a job (usually that means renting a room or staying at an extended stay type of hotel), moving to LA, and finally, making your full time job looking for a full time job....

Old 04-17-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I would like to know why you chose your account name as "Lifeadviser"...
Because I've made stupid decisions in my life and I can teach young people what not to do in life.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Because I've made stupid decisions in my life and I can teach young people what not to do in life.
Then don't make another one like moving to CA without a job or any real amount of money in savings.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:48 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Quote:

Thanks

My 2¢ for you. Make a longer range plan. California is a big state with a lot of variety in every sense. You recently visited and liked it, but didn’t state which areas you visited. It would be interesting to know. If your goal is to move to a particular area of CA, then keep that goal even if it’s not the first place you land when you move. Save a few dollars first so that you can rent short-term until you land a job, when you can look for a more permanent place to live. Again, make a longer range plan and execute it in stages.

A couple of questions about you. Do you have marketable job skills? What is your education level? If you’re looking for service- or retail-type jobs, well, it’s better than nothing but you will struggle. If you have higher level skills, trade or professional skills, you’ll have more choices.

You’re from the south, and admittedly I don’t know much about that part of the US other than that it strikes me as ultra conservative and religious. (Sorry, my limited knowledge...) California is politically liberal with only pockets of conservative areas, and those appear to be “blueing”. You will meet people from all corners of the world, speaking languages you may not understand, with social customs and beliefs that may seem strange for you. If you welcome these things, and have good job skills, then you’ll likely enjoy yourself in California.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
My 2¢ for you. Make a longer range plan. California is a big state with a lot of variety in every sense. You recently visited and liked it, but didn’t state which areas you visited. It would be interesting to know. If your goal is to move to a particular area of CA, then keep that goal even if it’s not the first place you land when you move. Save a few dollars first so that you can rent short-term until you land a job, when you can look for a more permanent place to live. Again, make a longer range plan and execute it in stages.

A couple of questions about you. Do you have marketable job skills? What is your education level? If you’re looking for service- or retail-type jobs, well, it’s better than nothing but you will struggle. If you have higher level skills, trade or professional skills, you’ll have more choices.

You’re from the south, and admittedly I don’t know much about that part of the US other than that it strikes me as ultra conservative and religious. (Sorry, my limited knowledge...) California is politically liberal with only pockets of conservative areas, and those appear to be “blueing”. You will meet people from all corners of the world, speaking languages you may not understand, with social customs and beliefs that may seem strange for you. If you welcome these things, and have good job skills, then you’ll likely enjoy yourself in California.
Hey thanks for your input. Do I have any markable skills? Ehh not on paper so... no. I didn't go to college so I know thats a strike against me but In the south were I'm at, there no real opportunity. It's very bland and not really progressive as someone who's in there 20's would like (I'm a minority). I know cali is a very liberal which I Am not! but Here it's very segregated. I Read that in California a job that pays say 10 bucks an hour in Alabama would be like 15 or 16 bucks an hour in California on top of it being the entertainment capital of the world. I Looked up some rooms to rent on craigslist and some of them I seen are going for about 800 a month at the cheapest which is crazy because that's a really good apartment here In where I'm at. I Guess I Got to weigh my pros and cons. Or maybe try NYC again???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California