Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:55 PM

27 posts, read 159,735 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 7 (2 retired, 2 kids - ages 6 & 8, 3 adults) thinking of vacationing a week in the California Desert areas. Just wondering what area should we stay in?? We prefer vacation rental homes. We saw a website called Palm Springs Vacation Rentals, there are tons of 4 bedroom houses looking really nice on the internet. But, the problem is we do not know where is a safe area, you know, no gang or drug...

I read through some threads about La Quinta, etc. Can anyone suggest a safe area for vacationers??

Anyone can give us some idea what is there to do in the area?? We usually go to vacation in Florida, you know, beach, pool, etc. Thinking of a change...But, do not know what to expect??

Please help!! Getting really confused in the areas... Thanks!

Last edited by TorontoFlintstone; 03-26-2008 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: wrong spelling on the website
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 11:04 PM

252 posts, read 387,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoFlintstone View Post
We are a family of 7 (2 retired, 2 kids - ages 6 & 8, 3 adults) thinking of vacationing a week in the California Desert areas. Just wondering what area should we stay in?? We prefer vacation rental homes. We saw a website called Palm Springs Vacation Rentals, there are tons of 4 bedroom houses looking really nice on the internet. But, the problem is we do not know where is a safe area, you know, no gang or drug...

I read through some threads about La Quinta, etc. Can anyone suggest a safe area for vacationers??

Anyone can give us some idea what is there to do in the area?? We usually go to vacation in Florida, you know, beach, pool, etc. Thinking of a change...But, do not know what to expect??

Please help!! Getting really confused in the areas... Thanks!
Hi mr Flintstone Palm Springs doesn't suffer from a crime problem in the major resorts so I don't think you'll have any problems there. Just make sure you don't get the "cheapest" place you see because you almost always get what you pay for. You may also want to inquire about a Resort hotel like Hyatt Grand Champions or others, At any rate when you pick one out before you reserve ask the forum for it's seal of approval. Palm Springs is really nice if you pick a nice place!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 AM

Hey Htmlfamily, Thanks for your info. I checked out the Hyatt Grand Champions, it is located in Indian Wells, is that area better?? And how far it is from Ontario, CA??

Old 03-27-2008, 09:57 AM

369 posts, read 1,955,372 times
Palm Springs is more of the "old" and Palm Desert is more of the "new"...I myself prefer Palm Springs because I have such fond memories of going there as a child. Palm Desert is too fancy for me. We stayed at La Quinta one time and I hated it. To resorty if that makes any sense (and hambugers that were priced at like $12)..I have never found crime to be a problem in PS. Cathedral City used to be sort of a problem, but I think even they have made a total turnaround. You have to kind of view it all in a straight line, because you can get from PS to PD taking Palm Canyon Drive. It passes through Cathedral City, Indian Wells and others. We stayed at The Lodge in Indian Wells a few years ago and it was nice. Close to The Living Desert which is an interesting spot to spend an afternoon as a family. There is also a water park nearby - maybe 15 minutes.

All in all you really can't go wrong. This is a super area to take the family. Lot's to do for the whole family. I guess in closing the last thing I would say is that there are more family friendly resorts in Palm Desert, so that may be your best bet. Palm Springs has more small boutique hotels that are not particularly kid friendly.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:31 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,440,962 times
Quote:
We are a family of 7 (2 retired, 2 kids - ages 6 & 8, 3 adults) thinking of vacationing a week in the California Desert areas.
When are you planning on vacationing? Summer rates (I think) are less but it is really hot (and if I could write that in 96 font I would).

If you go to Palm Springs check out the tram and if you are in reasonable shape consider hiking (I think 11 or 12 miles round trip) to Mt San Jacinto from the top of the tram. It is not as hot at 12000ft.

LocalHikes - San Jacinto Peak via Palm Springs Tram

Also, check out the date festival in Indio. (too late)

Riverside County Fair and Date Festival 2008 Feb 15-24 > Home

Not sure if the Los Angeles Angeles still play a few spring training games in Palm Springs anymore. My dad took me back in the mid 1960s and I went again in the mid 1980s.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 PM

I looked through a few owners rental site, we found out the vacation homes in Palm Desert look nicer. We are planning to go on March 2009. How's the weather at that time??

Do any of you know how far it is from Ontario International Airport to Palm Desert, La Quinta, area??

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,440,962 times
Quote:
I looked through a few owners rental site, we found out the vacation homes in Palm Desert look nicer. We are planning to go on March 2009. How's the weather at that time??

Do any of you know how far it is from Ontario International Airport to Palm Desert, La Quinta, area??

Thanks!

The weather is perfect in March - not too hot.

You can't figure out how far apart two places are using the internet?

from: ontario airport, ca to: 49499 Eisenhower Dr, La Quinta, CA 92253 (La Quinta Resort & Club) - Google Maps

Old 03-28-2008, 10:33 AM

I saw quite a few vacation homes in Deepwell, is that a good vacation area in Palm Springs??

Old 03-28-2008, 10:53 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,982,176 times
[quote=TorontoFlintstone;3265711]We are a family of 7 (2 retired, 2 kids - ages 6 & 8, 3 adults) thinking of vacationing a week in the California Desert areas. Just wondering what area should we stay in?? We prefer vacation rental homes. We saw a website called Palm Springs Vacation Rentals, there are tons of 4 bedroom houses looking really nice on the internet. But, the problem is we do not know where is a safe area, you know, no gang or drug...

Anyone can give us some idea what is there to do in the area?? We usually go to vacation in Florida, you know, beach, pool, etc. Thinking of a change...But, do not know what to expect?? HERE ARE MY CHOICES: Palm desert, Rancho Mirage, and La Quinta would be my choices for families with children. Palm Springs attract more singles, a gay crowd, has lots of hotels, and is more transient. The northern part of Palm Springs could be a little "rough." Good-luck.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:04 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,982,176 times
Default Toronto Flinstone

The Ontario Airport is about one hour from Palm Spring, with moderate traffic. (Please see my other reply to you.) Palm Spring has lots of things to do with the children in daytime. But may not be so safe at night, regardless of what other people may tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California