Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 07:37 AM

37,032 posts, read 41,087,048 times

Advertisements

... ask your state legislators to oppose this bill. If it passes, doctors will retire or leave the state in droves.

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2018/04...alifornia.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 09:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
Your profile says you live in Georgia. So, why do you care, first of all?

Second, physicians are paid salaries. They aren't the ones who would lose profits based on setting limits that health care organizations can charge. They are not the same beast.

As long as there are millions of customers in CA, there will be health care provider networks who will put up with the rules in CA. And if they want decent physicians who won't cost them millions in malpractice suits, they will pay decent physicians decent salaries. And therefore, physicians will still be willing to work for them.

And the demand for people who want to live in CA, for the weather if nothing else, will never go away. Including physicians.

So, no. Physicians won't leave the state in droves. Huge health care provider networks will simply have to accept making a smaller profit, which certainly won't kill them.

And, honestly, if it does end up being a problem, the single-payer system will simply look more attractive. So they should be careful what they fight for - or against.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:43 PM

I care because it would be a dangerous precedent.

Not all doctors are salaried. Many own their own practices. They are small business owners. They should not have their fees set by the government any more than lawyers should or someone selling floral arrangements.

The number of concierge practices is growing, too.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Not all doctors are salaried. Many own their own practices. They are small business owners. They should not have their fees set by the government any more than lawyers should or someone selling floral arrangements.

But, how would you even know about a proposed law in CA? And then start a thread trying to convince people here not to vote for it? Fishy.

I'd have to read the entire bill. But, I'm betting that it's written in a way that doesn't hurt the little guy. This kind of propaganda is pretty much guaranteed to be put forth by the lobbyists (maybe you?) for the huge health care networks, twisting the facts.

The dangerous precedent, is charging prices for health care that keeps people from being able to get it or not allowing them to keep it.

I see nothing wrong with the state saying, if you want to sell your services here, you don't get to gouge our citizens. Kind of like rent control.

I can't imagine any citizens voting against a cap on health care costs. They should be shaking in their boots.

There are already caps for veterans. Why not everyone? We really need to take the profit out of healthcare and make it available to everyone, no matter what. Once that would be accomplished, all of a sudden, the government would be looking for more cost-effective ways of keeping people healthy, which would be better diets, instead of more and more medications, which profit big pharm. I'm all for it. One step at a time.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:00 PM

How did I know? I read the article I linked to. What's fishy about that?

Should government fix the price of an automobile? Tell McDonald's how much to charge for a hamburger? Insist that every restaurant selling hamburgers charge the same price?

You say, "I can't imagine any citizens voting against a cap on health care costs."

Will the costs paid to run a medical practice also be fixed by the government: rent, utilities, salaries of office personnel, office supplies?

No, I am not a lobbyist.

The full bill:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180AB3087

With respect to lobbying, note that the commission may

"(4) Receive and accept gifts, grants, or donations from individuals, associations, private foundations, and corporations, in compliance with the conflict of interest provisions to be adopted by the commission at a public meeting."

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 05-01-2018 at 11:15 PM..

Old 05-02-2018, 06:01 AM

26,659 posts, read 26,633,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From reading your posts on the health forum, I realize that you're very informed about health care, health insurance, and medicine. I agree; this bill doesn't sound like a good one.

Quote:
Yes, which prices many patients out of those practices.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:37 AM

50,158 posts, read 46,811,218 times
With a bill like this, what would be the incentive to become a physician? 200 grand in college tuition to be paid what a panel thinks you are worth. No thanks.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:41 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
OP, would "concierge" practices be affected? It sounds to me like the legislation is aimed at doctors who participate in insurance plans. Patients willing and able to pay out of pocket for their medical care outside of the insurance system should retain the right to to do that. I haven't read the entire text of the proposed bill that you linked, but that's what it sounded like, in the opening paragraphs. Could you sum up or clarify that for us?

Old 05-02-2018, 09:47 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Your profile says you live in Georgia. So, why do you care, first of all?

Second, physicians are paid salaries. t.
Uh, everyone should be aware and interested, especially people in healthcare.

And your second statement shows a huge gap in understanding on how doctors are paid.

Last time Cali did something silly like this, Texas got a whole batch of new neurosurgeons. It will be interesting to see which specialty flees next.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:50 AM

8,284 posts, read 6,366,578 times
Government controlled health care will be like the DMV. I'm old, I want health care, I don't want to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California