Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:38 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,340,554 times

Advertisements

I can remember a day when Republicans used to actually stand a chance in California. It doesn't feel like it was that long ago, but I read a few days ago there are now more "no party affiliation" voters registered than Republicans in the state!

When, how and most importantly, why, did The Golden State turn into a Democrat party stronghold?

Old 04-30-2018, 08:55 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Liberals all over the country gravitate to the coasts and big cities. It happens over time. There is no one time you can point to. Also the Hispanic population is mostly democratic and they’ve exploded in population for the last 40 years. Add in the more moderate and conservative Californians have fled to other states and you have what you have today, which is how the Left has taken over politically.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:03 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,643,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Liberals all over the country gravitate to the coasts and big cities. It happens over time. There is no one time you can point to. Also the Hispanic population is mostly democratic and they’ve exploded in population for the last 40 years. Add in the more moderate and conservative Californians have fled to other states and you have what you have today, which is how the Left has taken over politically.
You answered that very well!

Old 04-30-2018, 09:27 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
When, how and most importantly, why, did The Golden State turn into a Democrat party stronghold?
California became solid blue when the Republicans shifted hard right. The shift to Democrats accelerated when the Tea Party emerged shortly after Obama's election. The Tea Party systematically voted out all of the moderate Republicans in the primaries and selected hard right "true conservatives."

Outside of SF and parts of LA, many Californians are centrists and middle-of-the-road and they find the hard right conservatism and Trumpism to be toxic. So they vote for the Democrat, not necessarily agreeing with the entire Democrat platform, but because in their minds the Democrat represents the lesser of two evils.

The Republican Party could regain a foothold in California if they nominated moderates. But moderate Republicans, even on a national level, are all but extinct now. The decline of Republican Party in California is largely a problem they created for themselves.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:28 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
California Democrats are now extreme hard left.
When prop. 147 passed that took away benefits to illegal aliens is the beginning of Calif. turning Communist.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:35 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
The early 2000s were the tipping point (more or less). For some time before that more moderate to conservative mostly white Californians moved out of California in large numbers to other Western states after the big shutdown of military facilities and decrease in defense spending of the early 90s. Aerospace in SoCal took a particularly big hit and a lot of those former workers cashed out their equity and moved. What replaced them were immigrants from the developing world and once naturalized and with their US born children they tended to vote Democrat. Of course more liberally minded people from the rest of US continued to move here as well. Demographically and politically California has changed with lightening speed in the last 30 years.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:45 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Liberals all over the country gravitate to the coasts and big cities.
I think you're putting the cart before the horse. It is the prosperous big cities that create liberals, it is just a natural thing. SF, for example, has always been a tolerant city. Think Haight-Ashbury all the way back in the 60's. Even if SF had republican mayors back then, they were probably more tolerant types than the republicans of today. In fact, California was the epicenter of the whole hippie movement, and shortly afterwards, the environmental movement. It just took time to spread to a more entrenched political movement.

I'm sure that even before the 60's there was a strong tone of tolerance in cities like SF. It just became really obvious starting in the 60's.

Your typical California 60's band singing a typical 60's hippie theme ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxA3Q96a8XE

Old 04-30-2018, 10:47 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
California Democrats are now extreme hard left.
When prop. 147 passed that took away benefits to illegal aliens is the beginning of Calif. turning Communist.
California became liberal long, long before Prop 147.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:54 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
The early 2000s were the tipping point (more or less). For some time before that more moderate to conservative mostly white Californians moved out of California in large numbers to other Western states after the big shutdown of military facilities and decrease in defense spending of the early 90s.
I have seen the state in-migration and out-migration statistics and the numbers were very small in the 2000's. People moving in and out do not explain the voting shifts.

As I wrote above, it was the Tea Party "primary-ing" out the moderates in the 2000's. They effectively purged all of the Repub moderates and put in hardliners. The one exception was Arnold Schwarzenegger, an anti-Trump moderate. He won his election.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:08 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,080,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I can remember a day when Republicans used to actually stand a chance in California. It doesn't feel like it was that long ago, but I read a few days ago there are now more "no party affiliation" voters registered than Republicans in the state!

In my view, it didn’t help the party’s “cause” when the last Republican governor of California (a self-anointed outsider, businessman and deal maker) left the state budget in a mess. I also remember in the 90s and 2000s how the legislative agenda was constatnly held up by a handful of Republican legislators who dug in and woudn’t compromise. Maybe Californians just got fed up with partisan bickering and nothing getting done. This in addition to an exodus from California of conservatives moving to western square states and Texas.

That all said, it should be noted that a big chunk of California voters (myself included) are registered NPA—No Party Affiliation. I seem to remember hearing that NPA registration is at record numbers. Speaking for myself, I want what’s practical and sustainable, not what’s ideological. My 2¢.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 04-30-2018 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California