U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 12:36 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,437,159 times

Advertisements

Leaving out the city that you live in, what's your favorite city/cities in the state?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 02:05 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,218,659 times
I think it's been established already that there's only one world-class city in the state of California: San Jose.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:41 PM

266 posts, read 261,727 times
Placerville, CA

Old 05-09-2018, 06:29 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,855,057 times
I have only been to five counties in CA (Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Orange, and LA), and have lived only in one CA county (Riverside) for almost my entire life (though at one time in 2011, I stayed in Costa Mesa (in OC) for maybe about several days). So, I am going to list my favorite cities in each county mentioned.

Riverside County: Palm Springs, Desert Hot Springs, Cathedral City, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, Indian Wells, La Quinta, Coachella, Blythe, Banning, Beaumont, Hemet, Murrieta, Temecula, Perris, Corona, Moreno Valley, Riverside

San Bernardino County: Yucaipa, Redlands, Rialto, Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario

San Diego County: San Diego, Oceanside, Escondido

Orange County: Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, San Clemente, Coasta Mesa, Fountain Valley

LA County: LA

Also, can we include our favorite unincorporated areas in CA? If so, mine are the following:

Riverside County: Bermuda Dunes, Thermal, Thousand Palms, Sky Valley, Indio Hills, North Palm Springs, Whitewater, Cabazon, Cherry Valley

San Bernardino County: Pioneertown, Baker

San Diego County: Bonsall

My most favorite CA cities would include all of the Coachella Valley cities (including the one I'm living in, Indio), Banning, Beaumont, Hemet, Murrieta, Temecula, Yucaipa, Redlands, Ontario, and San Diego. While my favorite unincorporated areas in CA are Bermuda Dunes, Thermal, Thousand Palms, Sky Valley, Indio Hills, North Palm Springs, Whitewater, Cabazon, and Cherry Valley. Maybe Baker and Bonsall, as well.

I have never been to anywhere more north than any of those five CA counties mentioned (more specifically, anywhere more north of Baker), so I can't really comment on that.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:33 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,526,735 times
Since I technically live in Santa monica I would have to go with Los Angeles.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:30 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,437,159 times
My experience is confined to southern California since I've never been to the central or northern parts of the state. Keep in mind that I haven't visited or lived in the state in about 24 years(5 if you count going out to say goodbye to an uncle on life support). Anyway, my picks are Los Angeles, Vista and San Diego. Love, love, love that city! I bet it's changed a hell of a lot since I was last there in 1993.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,218,659 times
Vista and Hemet are personal faves? If I ever win the Powerball, remind me to send you guys some places. I'd be happy to expand your horizons.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:33 PM

21,087 posts, read 21,081,970 times
La Jolla, Carlsbad, San Rafael, Malibu, Newport Beach, San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica and Napa.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:15 AM

18,814 posts, read 30,109,070 times
Isn't it amazing, that we can live most, if not all, of our lives in CA, and not ever visit part of our own state? People don't understand how huge our state is.

I was born and raised in the SF Bay Area, moved away, came back, traveled through other areas of the state, but never lived anywhere in CA other than northern CA.

So, when I talk about my favorite city, I talk as someone who doesn't really know any city in CA outside of northern CA - meaning from Monterey north, basically.

That said, if you aren't specifying exactly what you mean by "city" - as in population of a minimum amount - then, I'd say for a large city, it would have to be San Francisco. But, without that distinction, I think my next choice would be Monterey.

But, there are so many specifics that would have to be discussed - like, are you talking about a tourist experience, or a resident experience. For instance, Monterey County has pretty bad health care, but is a great place to visit as a tourist. I wouldn't want to live there as a low income senior, because the health care options in Monterey Co are pretty dismal. But, if I could afford a weekend getaway, I'd love to go to Monterey.

So, it just depends on the criteria.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:18 AM

3,192 posts, read 1,913,553 times
Since I can’t pick San Diego, which includes La Jolla, starting south moving north:

Coronado, Newport Beach, Los Angeles, Lake Arrowhead, Malibu, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, San Francisco, Sonoma, Lake Tahoe.

Every costal town not mentioned gets an honorable mention. I tried keeping the list short and sweet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California